Rain Gear

Hud

after reading the post on the BPS ad I was reminded of last year getting soaked wearing poor rain gear. so I'm looking to get some better gear. I'm not looking to break the bank but want something that will keep me dry and last more than a season. I saw the BPS brand listed at a fair price and have seen Frogg Toggs but read mixed results on them. Anyone have a set of decent rain gear that they would recomend. I was thinking the bibs over the pants and of course the jacket. I'd love to be able to afford the BPS gore tex but that's not the reality lol

thanks for sharing your experiences

cheers!

I didn't look at the sizes available, but the closeouts on the goretex paclite coats and pants are a great price assuming bp has quality in their clothing line.

ideally, you want something breathable -- goretex or other -- or else what you are protecting from rain will inevitably get drenched from sweat, depending on your level of activity and the temperature outside. yes, this stuff is expensive but you also said you wanted it to last more than a season. at the end of the day, provided you are buying from a reliable retailer, you get what you pay for... but still look for sales :)

ask yourself this -- would you cheap out on your choice of a reel? sometimes these "investments" are justifiable... sometimes

also, try searching up some of the old threads on this topic. you might find some more suggestions that you haven't yet considered

Edited by jayess

I kid you not go check Value village!

I went in with the wife not to long ago. (ya was bored on a sat aft) To my suprise I found a rain suit made by Gortex that is made for Golfing..Pants and a jacket with a hood 2 pcs. Its good for 6 hrs in the rain.. Here is the best part it was only 12 bucks! lol needless to say I snatched that up in a hurry..stll had the tags on the pants! Go check you never know my friend!

Goretex treated me great last year. I was in the exact same situation as you, and I got soaked on a number of occasions.

I waited for Cabelas to make a sale for their goretex jackets, and jumped on one for about 100 bucks. I can see the jacket lasting many years, hopefully lasting another 5-10 years.

I suggest getting the full set of jacket and pants that are waterproof. If you want a long day out on the water in the rain, you won't be too happy that your bottom half of your body is completely soaked. I probably wouldn't go on to using goretex pants, but will try for cheaper alternatives.

If you're outside in the rain more than 100 hours a season, get some decent gear. Most of the non-goretex *"Breathable"* stuff isnt the best, and will only be good for the first few times out before it gets damp. It wont get wet, but it will get damp. The wetskins stuff is decent, but it gets damp. The viking stuff at marks isnt that bad, but it too gets damp.

Also, if you wear a wetskins or any other type of "breathable" raingear, make sure to have a nice barrier between your skin and the jacket. A nice fleece lining works good.

Edited by xeon

Xeon is right. I have the Wetskins which I affectionately call "sweatskins". Oh I'll never get wet from the rain though. That should be my next investment. A really good, lightweight Goretex suit cause I'd only wear it in the summer.

Good luck with your search. I have been working outdoors for the last 12 years and have gone through my share of rain gear. I dont think that there is a cheap set of rain gear out on the market that actually works. I have heard that the BPS 100mph suits are only good for a few years and then they eventually leak at the seams. ( a high price to pay ). Recently I saw an amazing suit made by Gloomis that looked like it would holdup well to a torential downpour but it cost $385. The wetskins suits will keep you dry for the first few times but they eventually rip and you will sweat your bag off. Try ordering from Cabellas or Gander Mountain in the U.S. Those Frog togs look okay if you are a homosexual, but they dont look very durable.

Good luck with your search. I have been working outdoors for the last 12 years and have gone through my share of rain gear. I dont think that there is a cheap set of rain gear out on the market that actually works. I have heard that the BPS 100mph suits are only good for a few years and then they eventually leak at the seams. ( a high price to pay ). Recently I saw an amazing suit made by Gloomis that looked like it would holdup well to a torential downpour but it cost $385. The wetskins suits will keep you dry for the first few times but they eventually rip and you will sweat your bag off. Try ordering from Cabellas or Gander Mountain in the U.S. Those Frog togs look okay if you are a homosexual, but they dont look very durable.

Okay you get my vote for the dumbest response of the month!!!

I have had my $125 CTC Wetskin suit for 5 years now and use it about 100hrs of (continuous) rain per season .. yes they are a little on the warm side .. but then I use it mostly in Spring (when the water is still about 41 degrees) and again in late August .... and normally I am at the top of a mountain cold water lake chain ... but I would NEVER consider switching ... while I am warm and dry .. by bud with his $800 Gore-tex is cold and damp ... the only thing wrong .. which I fixed ... was a tendancy for rain to dribble down my back if I didnt keep my hood up .. fixed that by buying the complementary Wetskin rain hat with a wide brim ... now I can fish ALLLLLL DAY in beating rain and stay warm and dry ...

In fact I bought one for my wife this year when she made her first treck into the ZEC and she was out with me for 8hr in the rain without a boo ... and she was up before the sun (er clouds) the next morning to do it again ... I was shocked to say the least !

the beauty of the 100mph bps suits (and the cabelas guidewear which i have) is the lifetime warranty.. they start leakin' you get a new set -- free.. forever. literally the last pair you will pay for.

the beauty of the 100mph bps suits (and the cabelas guidewear which i have) is the lifetime warranty.. they start leakin' you get a new set -- free.. forever. literally the last pair you will pay for.

Problem is in 5 years when they discontinue the suites and replace it with another line exactly the same.

Problem is in 5 years when they discontinue the suites and replace it with another line exactly the same.

then you get the equivalent in the new line

who painted over your eyes?

You guys are priceless... :P I love the debates that go on here... at least they are civil (most ofthe time) unlike other boards I have been on.

Regarding the Frogg Toggs, thankfully I am very comfortable with my sexuality and have never thought anything about their style since in reality my main goal is to stay dry, I have really never thought about going out on the town with them. For what they cost they are a super lightweight, super breathable, super dry suit but not made for the cold. They are however probably the best summer rain suit you can get.

The Wetskins are, like previously mentioned, equivalent to wearing a garbage bag in any humidity what so ever. Yes they don't leak, but your cloths will be soaked from your sweat and they weigh a ton.

The XPS 100 mph suit are awesome. I have never in 3 years had a leak and I have driven my boat through rainstorms at 70 mph. Have hit 100 mph yet however :lol: No seam leaks and if it ever did I would gladly take the new model. The latest model was vastly improved upon compared to it's predecessor having used water resistant zipper sections, reinforcing the knee areas, better zipper design with optional zip in layer for cold weather. It's been a fantastic suit.

I recently picked up the new G Loomis suit as well, awesome design, really well thought out. It was designed for higher speed and fishing ability, being more form fitted and fully articulated in the hinge points so that sitting doesn't give you a wedgy when you drop into your seat. The Jacket is very streamlined and doesn't get in the way when fishing, no flaps, no loose sections and waterproof zippers to protect your goods. So far so good with this one as well.

The other thing I will say is that if you wear a baseball cap like many of us do when fishing the BPS and G Loomis suits have very well fitted and thought out hoods...they are long enough to grab the tip of the brim and keep it on you even in the winds and running the boat.

JP

Edited by JPD

I have never really had any problems with my wetskins but then again I am not the type of guy to be wanting to stand out in the rain for 8 hours at a time and for 50 bucks on sale they suit my purpose.

If I ever came home one day and said honey look at the nice rain gear I bought and guess what it only cost 600 bucks,surely the little woman would think I had lost my mind!

I have and use two pairs of bibs. Cabelas insulated guidewear which are very warm and have not leaked in two years fishing. I also picked up a pair of uninsulated bibs from gander mountain last year called TecH20. Very reasonable price and they have not leaked at all either. Both have held up to Northern Ontario standards and I wear them both in the winter occasionally. I would think your decision is really based on how much you want to spend.

If I was in the market for a new pair I would be looking at BPS 100 MPH......

TDunn

Edited by TDunn