Revamped some Crawler Harnesses :)

archie_james_c

Ok, I'll admit it...I NEED the ice to go so I can haul some Walleye in!!! I threw some new harnesses together, revamped some old ones and changed the line on them. I need to go get some different colour beads and blades. My variety right now isn't much of a variety, more like a bunch of similar coloured colorado blades. Hooks by the way are Mustad Ultra-Point Octo-beaks in 6, 1/0 and 2/0 for trebles I use Eagle Claws almost exclusively.

Anyone have any suggestions for patterns?

Picture005-1.jpg

Floaters

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Try those 'float pill' looking things behind the Colorado blade. I usually use my harness behind a walker type sinker, and I like the worm very buoyant and float above the bottom. Works well for less than 1.5 mph trolling or drifting. Adjust your weights accordingly.

loop----3 foot lead----[single bead][Colorado blade][single bead][float pill][single bead][#4 octopus hook] --2"--[#4 octopus hook]

no real patterns. lol, each day can be a different color pattern. it can change from hour to hour. i have tied... oh god... i dont know how many thousands of harnesses. i tied them for a tackle store, and i learned that anythin i tied would catch fish, obviously some colors worked better then others. ive tied some GOD AWFUL harnesses, and they caught fish... one i tied was so ugly it scared me... lol, but my buddy used it on erie and landed a 12lb walleye to win a tourney and made me tie 6 more for him. so a never know!

no real patterns. lol, each day can be a different color pattern. it can change from hour to hour. i have tied... oh god... i dont know how many thousands of harnesses. i tied them for a tackle store, and i learned that anythin i tied would catch fish, obviously some colors worked better then others. ive tied some GOD AWFUL harnesses, and they caught fish... one i tied was so ugly it scared me... lol, but my buddy used it on erie and landed a 12lb walleye to win a tourney and made me tie 6 more for him. so a never know!

Yah one thing I've noticed so far is the Walleye I've caught don't seem to care about the pattern of beads on a spinner. I could put a Perch blade on one line with green/orange alternating beads and then the same blade on another line but with 3 green beads in a row followed by 3 orange ones and they are both going to produce the same amount of fish.

What I find more important (and harder) to do is find the hot colour on a new lake you've never fished before. :)

Try those 'float pill' looking things behind the Colorado blade. I usually use my harness behind a walker type sinker, and I like the worm very buoyant and float above the bottom. Works well for less than 1.5 mph trolling or drifting. Adjust your weights accordingly.

loop----3 foot lead----[single bead][Colorado blade][single bead][float pill][single bead][#4 octopus hook] --2"--[#4 octopus hook]

Glittery Polkadotted Float Pills Mmmmm Mmm

Nippissing117.jpg

Great job on the harnesses guys. I seldom have more than 2-3 pre-tied with me but I keep a small kit aboard to make them as I need them. They only take but a minute or two to make and you can tweak them as conditions dictate. Works well for me, anyhow.

DSC01088.jpg

How do you guys store them that are already made? When I first started using them they would get tangled up with everything, then I started trying to put them back in the bags they came from. That's a pain too when you just want to fish.

I can see if you make your own, but what if you're not just starting out with worm harnesses and just buying off the shelf? Where do you put them heh.

Edited by Governator

Bill I just get mine from my local shop. The good thing with that is you can talk to other fisherman and get their opinions on how to set-up harnesses...but first you gotta decipher what is Bull and what is truth :lol: .

I found a good thread on another board on this topic...

http://www.michiganwalleye.com/forum/showt...d.php?p=3086971

I get almost all of my stuff from luremaking.com. As an added bonus, they're also a sponsor here. Have a look at their online catalogue. They also have tip sheets on how to build different baits. They're also based in Ontario.

Heres my *little* setup. The snell holders are Lindy brand.

2z6xmkk.jpg

That's what I use as well to hold my snells. Pretty much standard.

Any specific places you guys pick up the blades, beads, floaters etc?

Cabelas. Your head will explode when you see how much stuff they have. :lol: