looking to buy a gas auger...

ch312

yes, i like to buy things i dont really need :D

anyways, im looking for a dependable auger that is quiet and comes with good blades. are there any brands i should favor? stay away from?

how many HP does the average joe actually need?

i have a quad so weight is not an issue, but obviously i dont want to lug around a tank of an auger...

and of course....

where to go to get the best deal :D

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken a Jiffy 2HP 8" many years ago. I've had my Jiffy 3HP 8" for 18 years, changed the plug once, the other had a cracked insulator. There is a difference in weight, you indicate you have an ATV, so it shouldn't be a problem, just at the start and end of the season when you walk out, those extra pounds add up, just like your age. Unless you plan on having auger races, a few seconds one way or the other doesn't matter, that's why I'd go with the 2HP. Keep the blade out of the dirt, I may finally change the replacement blade after this year, I have to push down a wee bit. The only other maintenance I've done is change the carburateur diaphram, they dry out over the years. Keep an eye out for older used ones, they have better gear cases, some are now made of "plastic".

Strikemaster lazer mag, 2hp tecumpseh with 8" blades(make sure blades were made in sweden,and not china).No factory issues with it,Ive had it for a few years now and still using the factory plugs and blade.Light weight also.Remember to check the stamping on the blades before you buy one.Sweden yes,china no.

I'v got a Jiffy White Lightning, but it's only on its second season so I can't say much about it so far except that it works just fine.

BTW, there's no such thing as a "quiet" ice auger, unless you hand-crank. :P

My hand auger makes a crying noise after the 2nd or 3rd move with 4 holes and 12" of ice.

The worst

Dad can we move again. He is 8 and cant drill his own holes yet.

I told my wife He needs a Aqua View so he does not get bored when we go fishing.I hope it works the same so I can get a gas auger next weekend.

Whats The best 10"

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Wiles

i have a 2hp jiffy white lightning 9" awesome auger it will out run my cousins model 30 any day. it's prob 4 years old and still starts first or second pull. i have never done anything to it in the way of work. just gas and go.

I have been useing a normark with the husqvarna engine for the last 6 years and love it! Hands down the best auger ive owned or even used! It's quiet, has lots of power, spins a 10inch bit and weighs less than 20lbs! but it's not cheep! I purchased new blades for it last year but have yet to installed them! I easily cut 3000-5000 holes per year with this machine and still useing the original blades!

So does Dano Shayne.. through 22 inches of ice he had his two holes done and fishing before we had our augers off the sled holders, fired and the first ones drilled.

Hand augers work great - it just the effort that's involved, especially when you're drilling multiple holes. Going thru 2ft+ of Nipissing ice in late Feb and early March is not fun, especially when you're practically down on your knees. :P

So does Dano Shayne.. through 22 inches of ice he had his two holes done and fishing before we had our augers off the sled holders, fired and the first ones drilled.

Hand augers work great - it just the effort that's involved, especially when you're drilling multiple holes. Going thru 2ft+ of Nipissing ice in late Feb and early March is not fun, especially when you're practically down on your knees. :P