Musky/Pike rod

asdve23rveavwa

Alright guys/gals...in my quest for a musky (one of my goals for this year)...I need a beefier rod, medium/medium heavy...any suggestions for a decent one under $100...probably won't use it more than 10 times this year so don't want to break the bank on it. Something of good quality for the money. Thanks in advance.

you compre fanboys make me giggle. ;)

besides, they are above $100.

okuma has a line of musky rods in your price range - evx series.

st. croix's triumph line will be right around $100 or a tad less too.

says the st. croix fanboy.

The last 3 Compre`s I purchased were under 100 dollars.

Medium heavy for pike/musky??? I think you better make sure by taking your reel with you to the store and mounting it to the rod and checking for rod flex with the line threaded through. I use a medium heavy IM7 Daiwa 7' for mostly smaller pike 30" and big bass and there is PLENTY of rod flex when the pike suddenly freaks out when it gets near the boat, probably a bit too much flex. Had that rod for about 5 years now, serving me well, but I use a heavy rod for lures over 1.5 oz. Medium heavy is the sweet spot for the majority of my fishing, but heavy rod is better for bigger pike 35+".

Also have you given some thought to what weight lures you are going to throw. A 1oz is fine with most medium heavies, but if you are going for bigger pike/muskie with big lures weighting 1.5oz to 5oz I think you are going to wreck your arm and maybe the rod. If you are hoping to catch bigger pike and muskies 35+" I suggest you check heavy rods that can handle bigger lures and bigger fish.

I like the long rod handle for pike so I can butt it against my stomach when fish fighting, takes all the stress away from my arms. Personal preference I guess.

Mind you, you can catch a muskie using a barbie kids rod, but I can't imagine how long that took to fight. :)

I stopped looking for brand name as much as looking for features for the price and warranty. If you can find a IM7 or better with a great reel seat and fuji or better guides that sounds like a good deal for $80 and taxes. Line is very important too. Found power pro to be great for pike, but I use a fluorocarbon leader 80+lb too. Pike can cut through power pro quickly I have learned! I heard the recoil guides make a lot of noise with braided line so I'm not sure if those are the better option than sic guides.

btw I looked up the compre since we seem to have a lot of fans here, $128+taxes at Lebarons so it might be out of you budget if you can't find it cheaper.

Edited by Syn

Shut up my Shimano is better then your St.Croix!!!!! Don't argue with me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno why it's better!!! (ok I do, it's because I bought one) but still... mines better!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

Medium heavy for pike/musky??? I think you better make sure by taking your reel with you to the store and mounting it to the rod and checking for rod flex with the line threaded through. I use a medium heavy IM7 Daiwa 7' for mostly smaller pike 30" and big bass and there is PLENTY of rod flex when the pike suddenly freaks out when it gets near the boat, probably a bit too much flex. Had that rod for about 5 years now, serving me well, but I use a heavy rod for lures over 1.5 oz. Medium heavy is the sweet spot for the majority of my fishing, but heavy rod is better for bigger pike 35+".

Also have you given some thought to what weight lures you are going to throw. A 1oz is fine with most medium heavies, but if you are going for bigger pike/muskie with big lures weighting 1.5oz to 5oz I think you are going to wreck your arm and maybe the rod. If you are hoping to catch bigger pike and muskies 35+" I suggest you check heavy rods that can handle bigger lures and bigger fish.

I like the long rod handle for pike so I can butt it against my stomach when fish fighting, takes all the stress away from my arms. Personal preference I guess.

Mind you, you can catch a muskie using a barbie kids rod, but I can't imagine how long that took to fight. :)

I stopped looking for brand name as much as looking for features for the price and warranty. If you can find a IM7 or better with a great reel seat and fuji or better guides that sounds like a good deal for $80 and taxes. Line is very important too. Found power pro to be great for pike, but I use a fluorocarbon leader 80+lb too. Pike can cut through power pro quickly I have learned! I heard the recoil guides make a lot of noise with braided line so I'm not sure if those are the better option than sic guides.

btw I looked up the compre since we seem to have a lot of fans here, $128+taxes at Lebarons so it might be out of you budget if you can't find it cheaper.

Thanks for an extremely comprehensive reply...the reason I was leaning toward medium heavy is that I wasn't anticipating throwing lures over 1 ounce, but having seen enough muskies and larger pike caught on tv (as well as some pike I have landed myself) they do like to put on that explosion close to the boat...I looked up the compres as well and found the prices about the same, but, solopaddler's reply concerns me...I have never had three rods break on me in my life, be it salmon, steelhead or warm water fish. Thanks to everyone else who has replied so far as well.

Hey Frankie,

I dont know what lake(s) yer gonna try for Muskies on this summer but...... If you care to "hook-up" for a day out in the Kawarthas, I'd be more than glad to take you out for a day. We have had some pretty good luck out there the last few summers for Skis........ Drop me a pm if ya like.

Meely :canadian:

I have several Compre`s and have not had one problem.

I have a custom Spiel Loomis that stood up to a bridge at 30 MPH !! :o:D

I like it the most.. but expensive.. as well as my St. Croix's.. but of course they were about $149 if I remember right...

The BPS Pete Maina works well as a trolling rod... or as a guest rod in the boat.

I fished with a heavy berkley lightning rod for my first years of musky fishing and it was fine (great for standard musky baits...a little light for mag bulldawgs atc). You needn't go overboard with rods for musky....you're not fishing for walleye, so sensitivity and finesse isn't an issue (i laugh when i read ads for musky rods describing sensitivity). Get something that looks well made, durable, and has solid guides. Weight can be an issue if you plan on casting all day for multiple days....otherwise, don't sweat it.

Some advice...

- if you plan on fishing with spinnerbaits and bucktails, consider a longer rod (easier to cast further, and do figure 8's at boatside)

- if you plan on fishing with jerk baits (suicks etc), a shorter stiffer rod (easier to impart the action)

- for crankbaits and plugs it matters less... And, for the casual fisherman, either rod will be fine for all applications.

Would you be interested in a used rod? I have a two piece Fenwick Canadian Methods musky trigger rod, excellent shape, rated 1-4 oz, medium-heavy, 6'6", works good with smaller bucktails, cranks, etc. New at Lebarons for $62.00. I work in Stratford, I see your from Woodstock. Come to Stratford and it's yours for $30.00. Andy

Andy is offering a decent rod at a very fair price...

also, I think daiwa makes some cheaper musky rods for around 50-under100 bucks.

I was also looking a rapala musky rod that was pretty nice for 60 bucks.

IMO I'd focus on finding a good reel over the rod, retrieving musky baits all day with a bass baitcaster is no fun....as previously stated you don't need a fancy rod, find the cheapest rod that is strong enough to handle a musky and then spend the rest of your budget on a good reel and spoolin up with 80 or 100lb braid....abu's are good reels and lots around for cheap, last forever

Raf is the man, he knows his stuff. I second his opinion. I have 4 okuma rods and they are great. I have been a shimano guy my whole life, but recently started buying St. Croix, Fenwick, Berkley, All Star and a few others. St. Croix and Shimano are sweet rods, but over priced. Its seems to me that shimano seems to underrate teh line and lure weight rating on the Compre rods. The Okuma Musky series will run you up to 150, but lifetime warrenty for way less than St. Croix. IM9 graphite and the same fuji guides and reel seats as everyone else.

I see you want to throw lighter baits, but if you get into muskie fishing seriously that will quickly change. Big baits are the way to go. Sure small baits catch big fish, but you will be busy hooking snot rockets and smaller muskie. Big baits = big fish. Of course you will still hook the odd smaller fish, but i recommend going a bit heavier. I mean if you want to throw smaller baits, a heavy flipping stick will get you by or an inshore saltwater rod, there are tons of ways you can save money by buying something that isn't muskie specific. Once you get into species specific rods, companies tend to up the prices. Also you have to factor in the fish you are targeting, even if you are throwing lighter baits, you want a heavy enough rod to run heavy line so you can get the fish in quick. Taking forever to land a muskie on lighter tackle is a big no no with muskie. The longer you fight them the more harm you do to them. With stout line and tackle you can put the pressure on and land them in good time.

Anyway if you do decide to go heavier I have an Okuma EVx Musky Rod forsale in the classified section.

The new Rapala RType Musky rod series are incredible (new this year). They are as good as the St.Croix Avid musky rods in my opinion, very light and sensitive, and extremely strong. They are really nice looking rods as well, and priced in your price range: Rapala RType Rods Just click on the "new" button on the left side and choose Musky Rods.

I put these rods in the hand of some musky nuts I know, and they were shocked at how nice these rods are.. heck, I'm still shocked!

The more traditional Rapala XLT musky rods are also really nice: Rapala XLT Rods

You can't go wrong with the St.Croix Premier, Avid or Tournament rods either.

Aaron

Guest buick14

Shimano Teramar series if you can find one....a little more than your budget but worth it

fresh/saltwater rods

MH will do for sure

tc4 construction

comparable to compre, but built for harsher conditions...

I put my LIFE ON IT it'll take everything you throw at it and you wont destroy it (guides, blank, reel seat etc.)...I'm aware of how bold of a statement that is...

everything stated prior is a quality proven rod (except r type.. its to new, not saying it isnt good though)

Musky opener is monthes off. If you keep your eyes open you should have no problem scoring a higher end Musky rod (be it St. Croix, Compre, Fig Rig, whatever) for a 100 bucks if you keep your eyes on the classified sections, hear and kijiji. I just sold two St. Croixs for a 100 bucks each about 3 monthes back. Even if you have to spend a little more, say 120, you can use it for 2 years then sell it for close to a 100. So buy something good, but buy it used!

The new Rapala RType Musky rod series are incredible (new this year). They are as good as the St.Croix Avid musky rods in my opinion, very light and sensitive, and extremely strong. They are really nice looking rods as well, and priced in your price range: Rapala RType Rods Just click on the "new" button on the left side and choose Musky Rods.

I put these rods in the hand of some musky nuts I know, and they were shocked at how nice these rods are.. heck, I'm still shocked!

The more traditional Rapala XLT musky rods are also really nice: Rapala XLT Rods

You can't go wrong with the St.Croix Premier, Avid or Tournament rods either.

Aaron

I guess it's the in thing these days. I'm not a fan of the zero foregrip split grip handles. Especially when they're made with foam and not cork.

The XLT rods are more my style. Too bad their higher end rods arn't built the same way.

Edited by solopaddler

I guess it's the in thing these days. I'm not a fan of the zero foregrip split grip handles. Especially when they're made with foam and not cork.

The XLT rods are more my style. Too bad their higher end rods arn't built the same way.

Foam needs to die a slow painful death :D . Cork has a much better feeling or better yet I found using a thin tennis grip wrap is so comfortable after 10 hours of casting.

Edited by Syn