whats a good baitcasting reel

johnston1010

I'm looking to buy a new bait casting reel to pair with my 7'2 Skeet Reese wright & Mcgill toad and senko rod and I have a Abu Garcia® Revo™ S Low-Profile Baitcast Reel and I find I don't like it that much. So i'm thinking of buying a Ardent XS1000 Baitcast Reel but thats alot of money for a reel so is there a good baitcasting reel for a good price that will cast well.

Edited by BassfromDundas10

You might want to send your Revo to Professional Reel Service in Wichita Kansas.

www.proreelservice.com

For about $20.00 they will clear lube and Pro-tune your old reel so that it casts like a $300.00 model. For an extra 25.00 they will also install the best bearings that money can buy.

If you want a great low profile baitcasting reel for a ridiculously low price, look at the Rapala RType reel (10 bearing), about $100. I have been using them for over a year now pretty hard, and they are a really smooth, nice-looking reel that casts well. They are holding up well with no issues. You can buy two of these for a similar quality reel by another brand.

Even the Volt is a nice reel for $60.

Rapala Reels

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

You want a full sized reel for throwing muskie baits (Abu Record, Calcutta, etc etc)

You dont necessarily need a full sized reel. I have a Curado which I use on my bucktail rod, if I were to purchase again, yes, I would probably buy a full sized, and not a low pro.

I find the drag system better (smoother on a round). But my Curado has caught me plenty of fish including my largest. I have it spooled up with 80lb PP.

Plus, if you listen to Bill, you are going to end up a chrome fisherman, and not a musky guy. :jerry:

im a shimano guy and i like the curado. i did pick up some quantum accurist low profile reels last year and i like them just fine for half the price. they are losing their finish rather quickly, but at 100$ i would buy again. it is hard to pick baitcasters in the store, you really need to use them as opposed to handle them to get a good feel.

good luck

Plus, if you listen to Bill, you are going to end up a chrome fisherman, and not a musky guy. :jerry:

That's it! It's on!!!! :) :)

I'd be a musky guy if I could actually catch fish!

I couldn't imagine throwing some of the Double 10's I have with a low profile reel.

The Curoado 300E is a great reel for musky fishing. Either Quantum PT, Shimano Curado or mid range Daiwa's will suit you fine. It come's down to your personal preference and most importantly your pocketbook. Piece of advice, save up to buy decent equipment, cheap reels are just that, you'll end up replacing them and spending more money than you have to.

Actually the Revo Toro and Curado 300 are more than fine for many applications.

yes, most but not all. i'll add the quantum cabo - cbc30pts too.. another low profile that can handle the job

but bill is right, for specialized applications like those big double bladed baits none of those will work for too long. you will need something like an abu 7000.

You want a full sized reel for throwing muskie baits (Abu Record, Calcutta, etc etc)

'

This is not really that accurate. I have been using the Abu Garcia C3 and C4 reels and an Okuma ID400LX for Musky fishing for years. These reels are the larger round barrel baitcasters. They have worked great, but just this past year, I picked up the Abu Garcia REVO Turo Reel for Musky. It is a low profile baitcaster that is built like tank and can pull a truck from the ditch.

Very nice reel! It is very smooth when casting and fits oh so nice in the palm of your hand. Even better, it isnt rediculously priced like some of the comparible shimanos. I really like this reel. It has all the bells and whistles as well. It comes with the clicker for your drag when trolling and it also comes in two models. One has a smaller spool which holds less line and is much better for casting applications and then there is another model which has a much larger spool for crazy line capacity. I got the one with the smaller spool, but when running 80lb braid on there, there isnt as much line capacity as I would like and if I had it do over again, I would have went with the larger spool model. Other then that, the reel has performed flawlessly for me.

Ab