Polarized sunglasses

super dave

I know nothing about polarized sunglasses. I'm thinking of buying a decent pair. Are there different levels of polarization allowing more glare reduction? If so, lets hear of some of the brands people have. I have heard maui jims are good but I don't think the styles are my cup of tea. Oakley's, are they up there? What is a good all round colour or any good brands that have interchangeable lens.

Thanks.

I know nothing about polarized sunglasses. I'm thinking of buying a decent pair. Are there different levels of polarization allowing more glare reduction? If so, lets hear of some of the brands people have. I have heard maui jims are good but I don't think the styles are my cup of tea. Oakley's, are they up there? What is a good all round colour or any good brands that have interchangeable lens.

Thanks.

Bluewater Optics makes an excellent pair of sunglasses for a good price.

The topic of sunglasses comes up here on a fairly regular basii and you will get differing opinions from everyone! They are after all, mainly a personal preference.

I would suggest that you do a search on this site and you will find days of reading and just as many opinions. B)

HH

I have Maui Jim's and by far the best lens I have ever used. I routinuely spot fish farther away then the people I fish with regardless of the brand they are wearing. I am in no way sponsored by them. I had an eye injury years ago and the eye doctor recommended them for the quality of the lens.

Regardless of the brand you choose. Look for a glass lenses as they offer better quality, durablity and resist scratches better than the plastic/polycarbonate lenses. Granted the styles for plastic lenses are far more varied.

I have amber coloured lenses and with .5 magnification. The warrenty is unbeatable. I cracked the frame a couple of years ago when I checked them with my baggage at the airport. The company sent me a new pair. Free.

Good luck.

Edited by Michael Brown

In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Buy a $50 pair, you're getting $50 sunglasses. Buy a $100+ pair, and in most cases you are getting a bit more for your money.

I'd recommend Oakley, personally. Mind you, I had a corporate discount at the time that I purchased mine but if I were to buy again, I would definitely check discount websites (backcountryoutlet.com, for instance) and other reputable retailers.

the particular model I got were the Hijinx. they feel lightweight, well-built and sturdy (not thin framed). I have the standard grey polarized lenses which aren't bad, but I tend to use the VR28 lenses for fishing as they seem to lighten up dark waters to my eyes.

check out the various lenses. click on 'lens tints' among the tabs halfway down the page. don't forget to change the background scene to get a feel for how each lens tint fares.

http://www.oakley.com/pd/4812

Edit: I should add, these have interchangeable lenses.

Edited by jayess

If you are going prescription/polarized then you are looking at $300+. If you are just getting polarized glasses you should find a pair for under $100.

I had to get Prescription/Polarized sunglasses and they cost me $170 fort the frame and a little over $200 for the lenses...then a $40 fee to have them polarized.

At the Spring fishing show you can get polarized shades for 20 bucks...I purchase from the same place each year... usually buy 2 or 3 pairs for the season.

If your like me with shades they always get scratched, bent, sat on, lost, twisted, stepped on, cracked, thrown in the fire, dropped in the lake, misplaced ... and so on. :wacko:

I find buying a few cheaper pairs is better than buying one pair thats 100 dollars.

i buy mine at MR "B" in mississauga

there different types like foster grant

but here's the kicker..................

there $2.50pr or 5 pair for $10

damn im cheap.

call me what you want but when they go overboard or get broken its only $2.50

My personal preference: Wrap around lense that does not let in light from the sides because I find side light distracting. Light weight plastic lense fameless design. big rubber nose pads and rubber or any soft ear shaft which sits on your ear, comfortable for all day use. Usually I get a dark polarized pair for sunny days for 30- $50 because I don't want to get stressed if I lose them or scratch them. Prefer the floating kind in case I drop them off the boat otherwise I use the sunglasses retainer that floats. UV A+B full protection is a given. Usually I find them at basspro and walmart. Don't like to buy from ebay much because I can't try them on first.

I used to buy $$$ sunglasses, cause I was told how much better there where :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: .After losing 2 expensive pairs in 3 summers I bought a $7.99 pair at Zellers to get me through a season...hoping Santa might spring for a pair at Christmas. Still have them. Myself I see absolutely no difference in the polarizing aspect of them. So I just can't justify to myself spending more money. When they are not on my face they are in a case so they don't get banged up, so lens quality is a none issue for me as well,cause I don't abuse them.

Personal preference is all it really comes down too. Get a pair that fits comfortably and they will be fine... whether you spend a lot or a little.

Last spring at the Cottage Life show I came across a set of polarized with a reading glass magnifier in them.

They seemed like good quality so I bought 2 pair, $25 each, and they are great. I can now tie on a new jig without having to get my regular glasses.

Had expensive ones before too, honestly didn't find them to be any better than a cheaper pair of polarized.

And at $25 it isn't a great loss if they get lost or damaged.

I got a pair of the el'cheapo Rapala shades from crappy tire.

They work good. Excellent for what I paid for them.

BUT if $ wasn't an issue for me, I would have got the Oakley MD.. They look like wicked shades..

Last spring at the Cottage Life show I came across a set of polarized with a reading glass magnifier in them.

They seemed like good quality so I bought 2 pair, $25 each, and they are great. I can now tie on a new jig without having to get my regular glasses.

Had expensive ones before too, honestly didn't find them to be any better than a cheaper pair of polarized.

And at $25 it isn't a great loss if they get lost or damaged.

Right there with you brother.I have a pair that have the same feature..works great.I also have safety glasses with the magnifier,makes working around the shop much easier.

Joe

Right there with you brother.I have a pair that have the same feature..works great.I also have safety glasses with the magnifier,makes working around the shop much easier.

Joe

Yes Joe. The safety glasses thing is what first made me ask the question why not the same thing in a polarized.

So when at the show I asked at one of the booths. The lady said "yes, we have them"

Good score for the reading and knot tying impaired. ;)

I have the foster grants from walmart, they are polarized, look decent, as they are my driving glasses as well. Last year I scacthed a pair from sitting in the boat lense down, took them to wallymart and exchanged, no questions asked. and less than 20 bucks, I have used the rapala and matzou glassess and wallymart's are much better