Another Stonefly (Brown)

Spiel

First off I hope I'm not boring you guys with these? I've been tying quite a few flies, mostly on jigs heads and jig hooks and I could post dozens of pictures but for the most part they're nothing special.

But inspired by douG's comment on my last stonefly post (I know he was kidding) I tried for something more detailed on a regular fly hook and thought I'd share the results.

gallery_9_87_9217.jpg

gallery_9_87_11884.jpg

I kind of messed up by not leaving myself enough room to work in the antennae, I'll get 'em next time. :D

HELL! I'd even eat that!

Would you like me to make some barbless ones Roy?

I'm tellin yaa bud you need to pay yourself more than that quarter for them flies.... Why they are at least twice as good as them ones in the catalog 12 for $ 5.00. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is a union for fly tyers. :whistling:

Post as many as you want Chris..... I never get bored looking at quality craftsmanship like that :thumbsup_anim:

Appreciate the attention to details in that piece B)

Great job and thanks for sharing :clapping:

Jacques

Thank you Jacques, muchly appreciated.

hey chris, beauty stone fly.... what are you using for the wing casing??? are those the pre formed stonefly backs or did you make your own?

The wings cases I made using the mid back feathers from a ringneck pheasant. I applied a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy to the top and bottom sides before trimming to size and shape.

While I have never fly fished it's easy to see that is a piece of craftsmanship unmatched Chris.

But coming from you I would expect nothing less than that.

Having a rod that was put together from your fine hand is a treasure I will keep.

Thanks again everyone. It is fun passing the time away trying to create something realisitc but for the most part these are just too time consuming to fill my fly boxes with. Well maybe my boxes but that's it. :D

Thanks again for sharing your work Chris, very impressive.

Was the head tied the same way as the first one you posted other than the antennae?

I would enjoy seeing more of your work.

Dan

No completely different Dan. On the previous fly the antennae and bead are assembled first then attached to the jig hook like so....

gallery_9_87_18327.jpg

On this one I worked from the back forward using a regular fly hook. But if I do another I'll build the antennae in first then procede to work from the back forward.

Chris, I have browsed some of the pro fly tyer's sites where they show their pride in their amazing work, but I've seen none more realistic than the art that comes off your fly tyer's vise. Just fabulous.

Thanks Doug but I have seen some truly amazing flies out there. Part of the enjoyment with this is that there's always room to improve ones skills, it's addictive.

Looks great Chris!

Can you make me up a few about 3" long tied on a 1/4oz jig head? I got a place in mind where I could use such an item.

I only wish I had that kinda skill.

Cheers, Ron...

Exactly Ron... and while you're at it fella... how's about brown/black crayfish.. 1.25" long on a 1/16th oz jig head!

Ron and Wayne, yes I could. Do you think I should. :D

Awww you are just afraid all these comments are going to put the price up! :lol:

Too late for that Bernie.... $$$$$$$ :w00t:

Beautiful bug Chris. You've got a lot more patience than me. I hate having to smear epoxy or head cement on turkey quills or other feathers to use as wing cases. I once got a bodkin stuck to my fingers with 5min epoxy. Swiss straw (raffia) or medallion sheeting for me :lol:

I haven't sat in front of the vice for a while...A few OFNer's sorta got me into ice fishing :whistling:

You've inspired me to knock out a few flies at the vice tonight :)

You my friend are an Artist! Truly nice work, can I buy a couple? Will you be at the Fishing show? I can picture the exact place that stone would of rocked in Spring '09.

Thanks Phil, you're also an artist of sorts. Everybody has to be good at something besides drinking beer. :D

Buy them, no but I might be able to get a few out to you before opener.

I may be at the Fishing Show but not to sell anything, strictly buying, they'll have beer right?

Beautiful bug Chris. You've got a lot more patience than me. I hate having to smear epoxy or head cement on turkey quills or other feathers to use as wing cases. I once got a bodkin stuck to my fingers with 5min epoxy. Swiss straw (raffia) or medallion sheeting for me :lol:

I haven't sat in front of the vice for a while...A few OFNer's sorta got me into ice fishing :whistling:

You've inspired me to knock out a few flies at the vice tonight :)

Thanks Mike. I hear you, epoxy can be messy. I have been playing with Swiss Straw for wing casings and legs recently as seen here....

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...t=0#entry423385

Ice fishing is good but you need to get back to the vise, tonight and tomorrow night and....!

The end of April will be here before you know it. :w00t:

Thanks Phil, you're also an artist of sorts. Everybody has to be good at something besides drinking beer. :D

Buy them, no but I might be able to get a few out to you before opener.

I may be at the Fishing Show but not to sell anything, strictly buying, they'll have beer right?

Well, tell ya what Chris, how 'bout I buy ya a couple pops at the show then. I wouldn't need them till early May.

Yes I do... and could you get a few done and mailed to me before the 16th??? THANKS ! :D

HA! That's how much you know! These are flying insects...they'll be landing at Irishfield before the 15th if the weather holds for the flight there.