Hunting coyotes

mikemicropterus

Its not hard to bring guns across the border if your all legit. Just fill out the paperwork.

Our ammo has gone up in price too. Anything with lead in it is up by around 25% from this time last year.

S.

They want something like $50.00 a gun to get them across at the border. If you have a PAL you can register them online for free. You just have to do it far enough in advance of you trip to recieve the paperwork in the mail.

I had two guns, that were registered in anothers names that I bought. Everyone was telling me to do it online....I tried last week doing online and you can't. It was for businesses and you were unable to transfer a firearm online.. I had to call and give them my information, than I had to take the number supplied and provide it to the people that I purchased those guns off of and they had to call and give their information. Pain in the butt.

They want something like $50.00 a gun to get them across at the border. If you have a PAL you can register them online for free. You just have to do it far enough in advance of you trip to recieve the paperwork in the mail.

I don't think military FMJ is even legal for hunting purposes, be careful with that. Practice all you want with it. I used to blast off 2 or 3 bandoliers of .303 at a time target shooting out at the farm but now that ammo is getting hard to come by and it pretty pricey. I used to find 500 rounds in stripper clips in bandoliers for $150 or so way back when. Now..............

This is a fishing site. Please direct your hunting concerns to a hunting website.

Thank-you.

OFC-ONTARIO FISHING NETWORK?

Again, this is a fishing site the last time I looked. Maybe you should also try a redneck website. I am sure you would get more people that would love to discuss this topic and others as well.

maybe you guys should have read the homepage before joining this fishing only site ;)

Edited by ch312

I don't think military FMJ is even legal for hunting purposes, be careful with that.

you would be correct.

FMJ is not meant for killing which is why the army uses it. there would be a lot less men leaving the battle field alive if they were to use expanding bullets during war. hunting bullets are designed to expand to cause damaged and bleeding while while delivering as much energy into the animal. FMJ's are designed to punch through without causing as much damage and little energy is deposited onto the target.

Again, this is a fishing site the last time I looked. Maybe you should also try a redneck website. I am sure you would get more people that would love to discuss this topic and others as well.

I'd bet that one pair of my hunting pants have more technology loaded into them then any of your rods. Trying to call hunters and gun enthusiasts "rednecks" is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. I know gun owners that would out-class you any day of the week you Troll.

you would be correct.

FMJ is not meant for killing which is why the army uses it. there would be a lot less men leaving the battle field alive if they were to use expanding bullets during war. hunting bullets are designed to expand to cause damaged and bleeding while while delivering as much energy into the animal. FMJ's are designed to punch through without causing as much damage and little energy is deposited onto the target.

:rolleyes:

Or...they are designed to tumble when they hit a human body and make a DEVASTATING wound channel and kill the person....for a guy who is a CGN regular...I'd have thought you'd know this stuff..

Fighting a military battle is about wounding the enemy, not killing them. A dead man is left behind, but a wounded soldier is tended to and uses up resources as 3 or 4 fellow soldiers try to get him to safety and save his life. Just ask a Sniper. ;)

For someone who isn't interested in hunting 'yotes, you keep coming back to this thread???

Go read a fishing post, join P3TA, or just keep your input to yourself.

S.

Which is why the standard "sniper" round is a 168 or 175 grain Boat Tailed HOLLOW POINT Sierra Matchking right?

I think you will find that most match grade bullets are of a hollow point design, but it is not a large hollowpoint designed for rapid expansion but a small one because of aerodynamic stability and also an exposed softpoint is subject to deformation on handling and feeding through the action and this would affect accuracy.

Edit: in most cases when a hunting bullet with a soft point is swaged, the copper cup that the lead core is place in before swaging has the open end to the tip of the bullet, most FMJ military rounds it is reversed the open end is to the back of the bullet.

Edited by dave524

I had two guns, that were registered in anothers names that I bought. Everyone was telling me to do it online....I tried last week doing online and you can't. It was for businesses and you were unable to transfer a firearm online.. I had to call and give them my information, than I had to take the number supplied and provide it to the people that I purchased those guns off of and they had to call and give their information. Pain in the butt.

The whole process couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes.....a you think it's a pain ?

WOW

Sorry off topic......

back to hunting yotes...i bought my self a camo predator hunting suit( Gillies Suit) on the weekend, just looking forward to spring to use it.

Or...they are designed to tumble when they hit a human body and make a DEVASTATING wound channel and kill the person....for a guy who is a CGN regular...I'd have thought you'd know this stuff..

the FMJ was not designed to tumble. it was designed for penetration and any tumbling would lower penetration. the tumbling and large wound channels occur when they are shot through barrels with a slow twist. use faster twist barrels to make the bullets more stable and you get more penetration with small wound channels and better accuracy. the old US army guns used 1:12 twist and the new use 1:7 i believe. this ended the tumbling and large wound channels. the purpose of FMJ's is to take enemies down, but not kill them.

any bullet will tumble if the twist is not fast enough to stabilize the bullet. ill say it again, the FMJ was NOT designed to tumble. the one and only thing it was meant for is penetration. we use hollow point bullets for hunting because they expand and typically dump all of the energy into the target resulting in more trauma. exactly what those in power dont want in wars which is why they agreed on the FMJ.

better do some more reading before trying to burn me noobcakes :P

Here's the deal Terry. I am one of the admins of this site. Admin being a synonym for owner. You can therefore see how I and the rest of the admins (owners, guys who pay the bills) would therefore get to decide what gets posted.

So this is likely the last time I will tell you nicely that HUNTING POSTS ARE OKAY.

If you do not like it, don't read them or perhaps go to another web site.

LAST WARNING!!

Here's the deal Terry. I am one of the admins of this site. Admin being a synonym for owner. You can therefore see how I and the rest of the admins (owners, guys who pay the bills) would therefore get to decide what gets posted.

So this is likely the last time I will tell you nicely that HUNTING POSTS ARE OKAY.

Yeah, I tried (unsuccessfully I guess) to make that point previously in this thread. :dunno:

I guess the silly season is kicking in. For those that haven't been around for a while here's a tip- if you don't like the contents of a thread, don't read it and don't follow it. Very simple. A lot of fishermen/women are hunters as well and quite a few friendships have begun on this website which is fantastic and I hop on a couple of times a day when I get a chance. There is nothing wrong with posting a thread that has nothing to do with fishing. Like Rick said, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. This is a community and our faithful Admins are around to keep the peace and thankfully, they aren't kept too busy with that. Please enjoy responsibly.

the FMJ was not designed to tumble. it was designed for penetration and any tumbling would lower penetration. the tumbling and large wound channels occur when they are shot through barrels with a slow twist. use faster twist barrels to make the bullets more stable and you get more penetration with small wound channels and better accuracy. the old US army guns used 1:12 twist and the new use 1:7 i believe. this ended the tumbling and large wound channels. the purpose of FMJ's is to take enemies down, but not kill them.

any bullet will tumble if the twist is not fast enough to stabilize the bullet. ill say it again, the FMJ was NOT designed to tumble. the one and only thing it was meant for is penetration. we use hollow point bullets for hunting because they expand and typically dump all of the energy into the target resulting in more trauma. exactly what those in power dont want in wars which is why they agreed on the FMJ.

better do some more reading before trying to burn me noobcakes :P

I suppose this would be a never ending discussion just like it was/is on CGN...

Im throwin' in the towel.

I suppose this would be a never ending discussion just like it was/is on CGN...

Im throwin' in the towel.

i havent seen this debate over there. im just going by what ive read and been told in the past.

there are 2 reasons for having full metal jackets on bullets....

1)cheap and easy to make

2)one piece jacket for increased penetration

i guess ill go over there now :D