2 reports in one

limeyangler

Hi all,

the weekend before last i got out with my wife for some fishing for the first time in over a year and a half. Cant wait till this summer now, young Jack is on the verge of taking his first steps without help, so boating should be a breeze with him.....and the way he lets me swing him around now.....he loves it....even my lowly 30hp should be just the kind of adrenaline filled rush activity he seems to enjoy.

JACK DID NOT COME WITH US THIS TIME.....BUT HE GAVE MY AUGER THE ONCE OVER TO MAKE SURE IT WAS GOOD TO GO

dr1.jpg

dr2.jpg

dr3.jpg

dr4.jpg

My buddy Lew and his wife Dot also joined us for the short snowmachine ride into Dore Lake. Lew had to use his 4x4 to get in, not the best idea....especially with the deep slush we hit , poor Dot got soaked on the way in, she was refusing to ride back with Lew so i made 2 trips on the way out.....LOL...we abandoned Lew to slug it through the slush in the dark on the way home. The day was nice and sunny but the wind was brutal, luckily we both had shacks, Lew managed to melt part of his with the heater though, and broke a ski off his homemade sled in the slush on the way in....we hoped that the fisahin would make up for that, and we'd done pretty well the last time we went with some nice fat 19" and 20" walleye as well as our regular keeper size.

AFTER A FEW MISHAPS...OUR LITTLE VILLAGE ON THE ICE WAS SET UP.

IMG_0185.jpg

We set up on the break in 25' FOW, marking bait fish mid water, nothing fancy set up wise...just 1/8oz jigs and minnows. The stage seemed set for sun to start setting and the walleye to start biting. Well....didn't happen, i got 1 jackfish, my wife caught 2 small walleye (2 walleye more than me...she always outfishes me when we go for walleye) , Lew got a small walleye too and that was it. But the fishing did not matter, we had a laugh with our wifes being out with us , nice also that both of them love to be out on the ice, i know some guys whos wife's would never venture out on the ice.

VIDEO OF OUR AFTERNOON ON THE ICE

This weekend past Lew and Paul joined me on Big Sandy Lake to try for some Trout and Whitefish. I have done well on this lake a few times, but the last 3 trips were all skunking experiences for me, but i know when you get on the fish...its awesome on this lake....definitely worth another shot. Paul is working for the MNR at present and was doing some fish aging work....he netted that lake and also had high expectations for our day given the size of some of the trout that were in the nets. The day was looking good, weather a balmy +3C!!!! the sunrise that morning overlooking Wabigoon Lake whilst waiting at Pauls house was spectacular too.

SPECTACULAR SUNRISE TO GET US UNDERWAY!

sandy2.jpg

sandy3.jpg

sandy4.jpg

sandy1.jpg

We had a game plan, basically hit a mid water hump we know...drilling gradually down the slope, if nothing there head to the east shore to a spot i'd done well in, and if nothing showed there, try a point at the southeast tip. We ended up having to move to all three spots. The fish were not biting at all today, we met 2 other people out there and they were having the same experience that day. Well, the whitefish and trout were being shy, but we moved from the first spot because we were being pestered by pike all morning, and there was sooo much smelt swimming around i'm convinced it messed my x67c up, could not get it going well at all , and it worked perfectly the next day on Thunder lake when i took the kids at work out for some trout.

Anyway, we tried everything and every combination of lure and bait for the two species, i was the only person to connect with a whitefish...although i lost 2 at the hole. I also had a trout nose my tube jig for about 5 minutes before dissappearing off my screen never to be seen again....lol. All good fun, pike and a FAT ling saved the day!

PIKE WERE THE ORDER OF THE DAY

Great report, awesome pics and videos Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Loved to footage of the football size ling...... man that thing was huge :w00t:

Ya can't beat a day out with the missus..... sounds like fun was had by everyone B)

One of them jacks sure was eating well with that big belly lump :blink:

Again great job, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!!!

Jacques

thanks for the report Simon, great pics

Thanks JDS

Great report, awesome pics and videos Simon :

Loved to footage of the football size ling...... man that thing was huge

Ya can't beat a day out with the missus..... sounds like fun was had by everyone B)

One of them jacks sure was eating well with that big belly lump

Again great job, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!!!

Jacques

Yeah Jacques...it was awesome to get out with Erika again, and yup...those pike were stuffed to the gills with all the smelt in the Lake.

Turns out the Ling was full of eggs.

What the heck is going on??? ... not the first blipping bleep in either one of those vids!... I don't like it!!!

except the parts about the fish... and the ice and snow. ;)

Great report, vids, and fish as always Simon!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

... even if they were G rated. :P

OK...i'll make sure i get some bleeps in on the next one Glen....lol

Great report man, I like the video's. I get too excited when I have a fish on Ice Fishing but I think I'll give it a try next time. Might use the Camping Chair Tri-Pod to hold the camera for me :P

Great Pike, and whitefish, and ling report man!

LOL...i like you also get carried away in the moment Mike, dont always get it on film.

AMAZING sunrise shots...I just kinda sat and stared for a while :lol: Thanks for sharing these great reports man...always worth reading/watching!

LOL...you 'veggin' out again you old hippy!

awesome Report! Gotta love this stuff....One question thou..Im fairly new at the fishing..Well actually not completely new but why do you call them "jack fish"? are they not Pike? Hopefully not another stupid question...LOL

awesome Report! Gotta love this stuff....One question thou..Im fairly new at the fishing..Well actually not completely new but why do you call them "jack fish"? are they not Pike? Hopefully not another stupid question...LOL

I grew up calling them Jack Fish aswell.

Here is what the Oxford Dictionary says:

jack·fish / ˈjakˌfish/

• n. (pl. same or -fish·es) a pike or sauger, esp. the northern pike.

Joey

Edited by Joey