Our first time ice fishing

splashhopper

So Dutchy and I had a brutal fall for rainbows this year and were thinking it was gonna be a long time till trout season opened up again.

We were discussing all the anticipation for the ice fishing on the board .

We decided we would give it a try and went out and bought a few things for it.

Well, this past Saturday was the day...

We take our auger out and drop a couple of holes... who knew than an EIGHT INCH AUGER is a bugger to burrow holes down,,,, we didn't ! :angry:

Dutchy got all set up,,, and threaded a worm on to his hook,,, he was jigging it for about 5 minutes and... got this

dutchy1stperchonice.jpg

12 inch JUMBO FATTIE

DutchysFirstIcePerch12in.jpg

We are STOKED B)

Well.. after 6 more hours and NOTHING more to show for it... we were a little less than impressed with all the hoopla we heard on the boards.

But hey..... we are not quitters....

We go back out Sunday ... thinking maybe we missed the "morning bite" on Saturday... and the afternoon bite and the early evening bite :wallbash:

No matter.... we gonna try again....

So,,, back we go.....

Dutchy starts off at the same hole he got the jumbo perch on before,.,,,

i give it about 10 minutes... and look down the lake to see who else is there.

I walk down to two old boys.... ask them if they are having any luck.

um yeah..... and as he is talking.. .hauls in three nice sized bluegills. :clapping:

hmmmmm???

I decide to humble myself and tell.. we are newbies to this ice fishing.... and he invites us both down to fish with him and his buddy.

He is a humble old fella,,, and watches us drill holes with that HUUUGE 8" auger.... sees how slow we are...

I asked him to try it.... he did,,,, went through it ok,,, but said our blades were dulll as a hammer.... no kidding! :angry:

He grabs his 6" AUGER AND PLOWS THROUGH THE ICE IN ABOUT 10 SECONDS FLAT :w00t

We start fishing with our original set up....

about 15 minutes later... the old boy comes over... checks our jigs..... cuts them off and re-ties with his itty bittty tiny little jigs :huh:

He drops it down to the bottom and shows us how to jig it.... 1-2 inches off bottom,, ,and small little jigging... not the one to two feet we were doing ! lol

A few minutes later and Dutchy is in to one.... yeah baby..... and then he gets a few more.... geeeesh ....

I finally get one after looking like this for awhile and thinking I should check in to that PROZAC stuff!

RonicefishingJan15-20102.jpg

We see the old boy moving around to the 5-6 holes he has drilled... so we do the same... and slowly but surely.. we start catching a few.

perchandcrappieandbluegill.jpg

All in all.. Sunday was a MUCH more enjoyable day of fishing....lol

We will give it another go soon.

Does anyone want to buy an 8" auger... :wallbash:

We are looking at getting a 6" one asap.

Dutchy and Splashhopper

Way to go!!! Feels great to try something new and succeed :) I've only ever used an 8" auger, and so long as the blades are sharp, I have no trouble. And I DO fish all winter...once the ice gets over the 24 inch mark it becomes a BIT tougher... :rolleyes:

Nice haul, I am newby as well and got skunked last saturday but plan to give it another go this weeekend.

Its funny you mention the 8 inch auger. I bought an 8 inch auger, it took me a long time to drill as well this past weekend, the ice was pretty thick but still. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Any tips

Awesome catch guys! I'm a little bummed out that you aren't happy with the 8 inch auger. I didn't find it any trouble drilling through the ice, especially with the little ammount of ice we get down south here.... let me know if I can help you out moving it if you're dead set on selling it. I'd give it time to get used to though.

Cheers,

Ryan

Awesome catch guys! I'm a little bummed out that you aren't happy with the 8 inch auger. I didn't find it any trouble drilling through the ice, especially with the little ammount of ice we get down south here.... let me know if I can help you out moving it if you're dead set on selling it. I'd give it time to get used to though.

Cheers,

Ryan

It seems blunt to me, but thats just my opinion. We were going through 12 inches of ice and it would very often stick and would just be impossible to turn.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

8 inchers can be deadly. there's one at my cousin's camp we use for laker fishing that kicks my ass every year. i like to keep moving when laker fishing but can't seem to drill more than 5 or 6 holes for lakers with the 8 before i'm spent. get a fin-bore 6 and it's night and day.

It seems blunt to me, but thats just my opinion. We were going through 12 inches of ice and it would very often stick and would just be impossible to turn.

I told ron to let me know about the blades - I hadn't had trouble with them even on my pond when you guys were here drilling holes with me, but if you need I'll hook you up with some new blades. The last thing I want to do is leave you guys high and dry, but $50.00 for both the auger and depth finder is a pretty stellar deal! Keep in touch I'd like to help you boys out!

Cheers,

Ryan

I told ron to let me know about the blades - I hadn't had trouble with them even on my pond when you guys were here drilling holes with me, but if you need I'll hook you up with some new blades. The last thing I want to do is leave you guys high and dry, but $50.00 for both the auger and depth finder is a pretty stellar deal! Keep in touch I'd like to help you boys out!

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan,

Not questioning the deal, but what the doc above said. After drilling 5 or 6 holes I could barely lift my arms. I tried the old guys 6 inch auger and was through the same ice in about 20 seconds. So, I am just guessing the blades are dull. BTW, whats the ice like on DC? We need to head there for a day of panning and perching.

Doug.

Ryan,

Not questioning the deal, but what the doc above said. After drilling 5 or 6 holes I could barely lift my arms. I tried the old guys 6 inch auger and was through the same ice in about 20 seconds. So, I am just guessing the blades are dull. BTW, whats the ice like on DC? We need to head there for a day of panning and perching.

Doug.

I concur with Dutchy,.....

No problem with the deal Ryan....

Nice haul, I am newby as well and got skunked last saturday but plan to give it another go this weeekend.

Its funny you mention the 8 inch auger. I bought an 8 inch auger, it took me a long time to drill as well this past weekend, the ice was pretty thick but still. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Any tips

I'm sure your auger is not sharp enough. The blades should be so sharp that they really dig in without any weight on top of the auger. They should just not scrap but really shave the ice in a very positive way without the least bit of slip. Slip is often caused by not keeping the auger straight up and the blades flat on the ice but if there is any slip when you are doing it right....the blades are not sharp enough.

The biggest mistake I see is the fact that when guys are holding their augers, they bump them upright on the ice. This immediately takes away the angle of the cut. The very sharp part of the blade is extremely thin and will bend at the least bump on anything.

I sharpen my blades with whetstones. One pair is about 30 years old and the other pair about 20 years old. I've seen some commercial blade sharpeners with carbon sharpeners and I may even try one of these sharpeners one day because the whetstone job is long. I sharpen my blades after every outing. One pair of blades have a few tiny nicks in them.....came from lending my auger to someone who wanted to drill the bottom of the lake. He was drilling too close to shore where there was about 1 foot of water.

I sharpen only one side of the blade and I carefully remove the curf by laying the blade flat on a very hard fine stone.

When the ice is thick, everyonce in a while, pull out the auger because too much shaved ice in the hole puts too much weight on the blades.

Never try to re-open a hole with the auger. Use a spud (ice chisel) for that.

Thanks for the tips. Its much appreciated.

I'm sure your auger is not sharp enough. The blades should be so sharp that they really dig in without any weight on top of the auger. They should just not scrap but really shave the ice in a very positive way without the least bit of slip. Slip is often caused by not keeping the auger straight up and the blades flat on the ice but if there is any slip when you are doing it right....the blades are not sharp enough.

The biggest mistake I see is the fact that when guys are holding their augers, they bump them upright on the ice. This immediately takes away the angle of the cut. The very sharp part of the blade is extremely thin and will bend at the least bump on anything.

I sharpen my blades with whetstones. One pair is about 30 years old and the other pair about 20 years old. I've seen some commercial blade sharpeners with carbon sharpeners and I may even try one of these sharpeners one day because the whetstone job is long. I sharpen my blades after every outing. One pair of blades have a few tiny nicks in them.....came from lending my auger to someone who wanted to drill the bottom of the lake. He was drilling too close to shore where there was about 1 foot of water.

I sharpen only one side of the blade and I carefully remove the curf by laying the blade flat on a very hard fine stone.

When the ice is thick, everyonce in a while, pull out the auger because too much shaved ice in the hole puts too much weight on the blades.

Never try to re-open a hole with the auger. Use a spud (ice chisel) for that.

Yep, I'd say you need new blades. I bet with new ones, you'd find a big difference. I use nothing but an 8" hand auger, and I can drill a hole faster than a power auger. Just one hole mind you, when you get into more than one, the gas auger smokes me..... LOL. A 6" is a lot less work, but I like a bigger hole. They don't freeze up as quick, and you don't lose as many fish at the hole.

Anyways, good fishing boys. Glad ya's got into a few. Now you've got the bug for sure. Before ya know it, you'll be out on simcoe hauling lakers and whities :)

S.

Yep, I'd say you need new blades. I bet with new ones, you'd find a big difference. I use nothing but an 8" hand auger, and I can drill a hole faster than a power auger. Just one hole mind you, when you get into more than one, the gas auger smokes me..... LOL. A 6" is a lot less work, but I like a bigger hole. They don't freeze up as quick, and you don't lose as many fish at the hole.

Anyways, good fishing boys. Glad ya's got into a few. Now you've got the bug for sure. Before ya know it, you'll be out on simcoe hauling lakers and whities :)

S.

Gonna stick to the smaller water for a couple more sessions... till I get used to this deal... we have a bit of a drive to get to any water of size.... and I am just not up for a repeat of our poor showings of the fall trout season too..

I am ok with the bluegills pulling on the line.. for now ;)

Great report and pics splashhopper :thumbsup_anim:

Got to love getting into some the first time out B)

I have a 6" auger and like it a lot.... I used to have an 8" and I swear to god that thing only got me frustrated.... now it's so much easier.

I don't think I'll ever catch a fish that won't go through a 6" hole ;)

Again great job you guys!!!

and thanks for sharing

Leechman