looking for a good tempura recipie

aniceguy

ok is there a specific porpotion of it all

The biggest mistake people make, is making the batter too thick.

You want it thin, thin enough that it runs off a fork quite quickly and leaves a thin coating on the fork.

Once you get it right it is easy to repeat using the fork drip test.

If you make the batter too thick you get that terrible doughy stuff that tastes terrible.

The trick is to use ice water...as cold as you can get it...pancake or beer batter will work. It is the extreme temp shift that give the light batter effect.

I agree...gotta have the batter on ice... thats how they do it in most of the restaurants I've worked in, seems to make a difference.

-Ben Daniels

awsome any compete recipies that you care to share

Walk into the closest Asian restaurant and say that your from another restaurant down the street and your out of tempura batter...usually they give it to you for free lol. I've had to do this for work a couple times. Mix the powdered batter with water, 50/50 mix, and chill it and your off to the races!

-Ben

I've put ice cubes right in the batter to chill it. Like Dave said, not too thick either.

Fillets should be cold or at least cool as well. They'll absorb very little grease this way.

As far as recipes go I've used the off the shelf Mcormicks tempura batter (I think that's what it was) and it was fine.

Doesn't Gerrit have a batter recipe that everyone likes?