If I were to start ice fishing ?

splashhopper

Since today was a total bust on the Maitland for Dutchy and I and if the weather stays cold, it is likely our last outing for this season due to this

douglasfishing1.jpg

We also tried the Nine mile and it was not in much better shape.

IMG00263.jpg

So as we were driving home we started talking about how long it will be until April for more trout action.

Both of us are considering ice fishing but have never been out yet.

What equipment could we start off with to see if we are gonna enjoy being out on the hard water.

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

Yep 6 inch auger and pick up the St. Croix ice combos - rod and reel for about $40 They make several different actions. There'll be a train of OFC'ers on Simcoe each weekend.

I could live with only 6 ice fishing lures and that will cover most fish species. Hooks and minnows are primary bait for most of the season

Pick up a few ice rods for like 20 bucks and if you have extra cash get a swede bore 6" ice auger and a pack of ice jigs and your fishing for around 100 bucks. That's it. Be warned though you will get hooked and end up spending about 1000 bucks to be fully rigged...lol

Pick up a few ice rods for like 20 bucks and if you have extra cash get a swede bore 6" ice auger and a pack of ice jigs and your fishing for around 100 bucks. That's it. Be warned though you will get hooked and end up spending about 1000 bucks to be fully rigged...lol

I already got hooked on Bass this summer.. I think it ruined me for trout too :o

Now you say that ice fishing will get me hooked again.... oh nooooo.... what a problem to have... :P

Edited by splashhopper

yeah dude i'm going into my third ice season and I'm getting more and more excited about it as the local ponds start to freeze up! there's a solid 3 inches of ice on the irrigation ponds around here...

like the other guys said, get a 6 inch auger...i got an 8 for christmas and by the time you get to your 20 or 30th hole it get's tiresome... some days you hit it right on the first couple of holes and don't have to move, but other days you can punch holes for hours before you find some active fish.

anyways, shoot me a pm or an e-mail if you have any questions!

cheers,

ryan

6 inch auger seems to be the standard recommendation. It depends what you are after. I have a 5 inch LAZER and have hauled 5LB walleye on Scugog through that hole and 8LB muskie. 15+ inch crappie are a real tight squeeze though :canadian:

I bring this up every year though because it is the best advise I can give with regards to a hand auger. The smaller the hole...the LESS physical work for you. An 8 inch hole is torture...6 WAYYYYY easier....5 WAYYYYY easier then a 6 etc etc. I sold my 8 inch hand auger years ago and never even use my 6 inch anymore...the five inch hole is just that much more easier. But do yourself a HUGE favor and get a auger with the curved blades like a LAZER or A FINBORE ll or is it FINBORE lll. I can not stress just how much more efficient and EASIER the curved blades make hole cutting. I do not know ANYONE who has went from curved blades BACK to straight blades...and there is a good reason for that. Curved blades are far less work.

Don't go berserk on rods/reels lotsa combo's out there for under $50 that will do the trick. Or use a reel you already have and just spring for a couple of ice rods...lots out there for under $20-25

Of course I am not talking about large fish when I am speaking of a 5 inch hole. If I chased whities/lakers on Simcoe more I would invest in a 7inch LAZER. I see no need to ever go bigger then that.

I just love the hardwater fishing. If you have anymore questions...feel free to PM me. I will help with whatever I can.

ain't that the truth!!! LOL!!! Next will be the portable hut, then the Vex, then the power auger... HAHAHA!!! Been there done that!!! Bring on the ICE!!!

ain't that the truth!!! LOL!!! Next will be the portable hut, then the Vex, then the power auger... HAHAHA!!! Been there done that!!! Bring on the ICE!!!

started 6 years ago .... can't wait for every ice up .... you are going tobe hooked (no pun intended)

rods ... tackle .... trips to northern Ontario .... flasher ...... portable hut ..... sled ? .... when will it ever stop ....

Don't forget to grab a set of ice cleats, like the HT ones that strap over your boots. Some models are less than $10 and make walking out there SO much better, especially if there is smooth ice.

Other than that, what the other guys said...

Basics

5" or 6" hand auger

A couple of ice rods and reels

Wire stands for the rods are cheap and nice to set the rods in when the bite is slow

Proper line - for panfish 2 or 4 lb is plenty, I would avoid braids for open air fishing

Minnow pail & scoop

Terminal tackle - hooks, weights

Panfish sized lures/jigs & artificial bait to tip them with (ie power maggots)

Pail with padded seat (like a Frabill sit & fish)

Proper footwear (the one area NOT to cheap out on is your boots)

Next step = more $ but more comfort and fun

Portable shelter - makes things a LOT more enjoyable if the wind is howling

Fishfinder or flasher

Portable heater

Power auger

Sled/atv...

Yikes... I just need the sled now lol!

I wish I spent a thou,the wife is still beaking off,after a few years about what I spent. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Great advice you got about the 6" hand auger, scoop, jigging rod and tackle B)

Here's a few of the lures you may want to buy for your jigging rod

IMGP1677.jpg

and combined with

IMGP1694.jpg

You may want to consider buying or making a couple of tipups like those

IMGP1636.jpg

IMGP1637.jpg

I know you are only allowed 2 lines in Ontario but a jigging rod and set line should be all you require including the other tools (auger, scoop, etc...) to enjoy a nice day out on the hard stuff.

Hope this helps you out

Leechman

I'd recommend you get yourself a sleigh, one of those hard-shell slippery plastic ones, about 4 ft. long, for under $20, like kids would use for sliding down a hill. It's a lot easier to drag gear than to carry it on your back and in your hands, especially if there's a little snow cover on the ice and you're sinking in with every step.

And don't plan on walking more than a mile out (at the most)... it's too damn hard (especially on the way back in the evening!) :D