Hiring two Conservation Officers

Michael_Brown

They are hiring a couple of CO's

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=23768

I thought this might look interesting to a number of people for different reason's.

The MNR has posted two employment positions for Conservation Officers.

Anyone interested can apply.

This would also answer the earlier posted question concerning how much our fine CO's are paid.

Good Luck.

Edited by Michael Brown

$65000/yr to start!?! And that doesn't even include OT.

Are you kidding me?????

I'm all for working people making good salaries, but considering you could offer half that and still have no shortage of qualified applicants who would consider it their dream job, it's a little excessive. Also, with whom is the MNR competing with for these candidates? If there were numerous private natural resource management companies offering lucritive jobs to the men and women who are qualified to act as COs, that would be one thing, but there is not.

Are you kidding me?????

I'm all for working people making good salaries, but considering you could offer half that and still have no shortage of qualified applicants who would consider it their dream job, it's a little excessive. Also, with whom is the MNR competing with for these candidates? If there were numerous private natural resource management companies offering lucritive jobs to the men and women who are qualified to act as COs, that would be one thing, but there is not.

I guess some of us are spoiled ..I thought I didn't make much money, but half of 65k... 32500.00 I wouldn't get out of bed for that...

unless I lost my job there was nothing else out there

I guess some of us are spoiled ..I thought I didn't make much money, but half of 65k... 32500.00 I wouldn't get out of bed for that...

unless I lost my job there was nothing else out there

I'm a licenced tradesman, I wouldn't get out of bed for $65000/yr...but I'm not attempting to get my foot in the door of a vocation that thousands of people would consider a dream job.

Are you kidding me?????

If I made half of that I would still be living with my parents. That number seems right to me.

If I made half of that I would still be living with my parents. That number seems right to me.

Unfortunately, working people are not paid based on their needs, they're paid based on the relative marketability of their skills. Meaning if there are a lot of people able and willing to do a particular job, and very few such positions available, the compensation will reflect that. Since this appears to be an entry level position and you can be sure there will be no shortage of qualified candidates, the number seems a little high to me. Like I said before, I'm all for working people earning good salaries, and it's great for the individuals that land these jobs...I don't begrudge them in the least. It's just that there seems to be a shortage of COs (there's a lot less now than there were years ago) so maybe hiring more of them but paying them less would help alleviate that problem.

In the mid '90s I lived on my own while making $13000 a year. It sucked but I didn't have to live with my parents.

Guest gbfisher
I'm a licenced tradesman, I wouldn't get out of bed for $65000/yr...but I'm not attempting to get my foot in the door of a vocation that thousands of people would consider a dream job.

Dream Job....... :rolleyes: Kinda like being a cop. Having to put up with idiots all day long? I'm not so sure it would be my type of dream job.

Right Azulu!?... :lol:

No one likes being pulled over. Specially when they're fishing....3 times a day... :angry: .. ;)

Are you kidding me?????

hmmmm....apparently a CO doesnt deserve $65k/yr, but you do? :rolleyes:

judging by the qualifications, ill bet there arent as many people who are qualified for the position as you think. this part of the ad would rule out many with families : NOTE: Incumbent is required to work effectively in inclement weather and to work shifts, weekends and holidays as required. Willingness to travel for extended periods of time with little or no prior notice and to work in remote isolated location(s). also add in the fact that you may be shot and killed during the next stop is another factor...

you are a licensed tradesman and claim you wouldnt get out of bed for less than $65k/yr. ill bet there are many people in your field who would take your job for less pay. maybe you should get paid less too because others would quickly replace you? ;)

your argument that they should be paid less because its a "dream" job and apparently there is no shortage of those willing to fill the position is ridiculous.

Edited by ch312

hmmmm....apparently a CO doesnt deserve $65k/yr, but you do? :rolleyes:

judging by the qualifications, ill bet there arent as many people who are qualified for the position as you think. this part of the ad would rule out many with families : NOTE: Incumbent is required to work effectively in inclement weather and to work shifts, weekends and holidays as required. Willingness to travel for extended periods of time with little or no prior notice and to work in remote isolated location(s). also add in the fact that you may be shot and killed during the next stop is another factor...

you are a licensed tradesman and claim you wouldnt get out of bed for less than $65k/yr. ill bet there are many people in your field who would take your job for less pay. maybe you should get paid less too because others would quickly replace you? ;)

your argument that they should be paid less because its a "dream" job and apparently there is no shortage of those willing to fill the position is ridiculous.

An experienced CO with a few years on the job would certainly deserve $65k or more a year. I just think that's a little high for people entering the profession, considering the competetion for those very few openings is quite stiff. Having to travel is part of a lot of professions, and in the case of CO's it doesn't result in a shortage of applicants.

As far as my profession goes, you are wrong to assume that the are "many people in my field who would take [my] job for less pay". Industrial electricians with experience in high-voltage construction and maintainence are in relatively high demand with respect to their availability and as such are able to command salaries in the range that I do. No one who is not dangerously unqualified to do so would take my job for half of what I make. They don't have to.

The fact is that my argument about there being no shortage of people willing and able to fill entry level positions as COs is far from ridiculous...its a simple truth. I knew lots of guys who seriously looked into entering that profession in high school. Two of them even went to Sault College for whatever 3 year program it is that is geared to doing so alongside a hundred or more other students. Even with the proper schooling the chance of landing a full time job as a CO in Ontario is about as good as winning the lottery. All I am saying is that a high paying starting salary is not required to attract applicants. I'm not advocating doing so, but they could make it a one year unpaid internship, and still fill every opening position.

An experienced CO with a few years on the job would certainly deserve $65k or more a year. I just think that's a little high for people entering the profession, considering the competetion for those very few openings is quite stiff. Having to travel is part of a lot of professions, and in the case of CO's it doesn't result in a shortage of applicants.

As far as my profession goes, you are wrong to assume that the are "many people in my field who would take [my] job for less pay". Industrial electricians with experience in high-voltage construction and maintainence are in relatively high demand with respect to their availability and as such are able to command salaries in the range that I do. No one who is not dangerously unqualified to do so would take my job for half of what I make. They don't have to.

The fact is that my argument about there being no shortage of people willing and able to fill entry level positions as COs is far from ridiculous...its a simple truth. I knew lots of guys who seriously looked into entering that profession in high school. Two of them even went to Sault College for whatever 3 year program it is that is geared to doing so alongside a hundred or more other students. Even with the proper schooling the chance of landing a full time job as a CO in Ontario is about as good as winning the lottery. All I am saying is that a high paying starting salary is not required to attract applicants. I'm not advocating doing so, but they could make it a one year unpaid internship, and still fill every opening position.

ask the union about that...maybe see if your union wants to do that with apprentices...first year free, because, hey not having to get out of bed for less than 65k a year is also a dream job for some people

Its a pretty good rate for a CO, but it does take a few years experience to qualify too. Its not a straight out of high school job.

Guest skeeter99
They are hiring a couple of CO's

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=23768

I thought this might look interesting to a number of people for different reason's.

The MNR has posted two employment positions for Conservation Officers.

Anyone interested can apply.

This would also answer the earlier posted question concerning how much our fine CO's are paid.

Good Luck.

wow!!!

I am suprised how little they are paying

unusual hours /weekends

$30 to $33 aint with it IMO

lots of others job out there paying more and have better life outside of work for family

i was considering getting into that line of work but then where do you get away from it all!?!? i think it would ruin my fishing/hunting being out there all the time then on my day offs what the heck do i do? like i do carpentry and when i get home at the end of the day or on the weekends the last thing i want to do is work on the house or building project. you'd have to pay me alot more then that to be out there all the time.

Since this appears to be an entry level position and you can be sure there will be no shortage of qualified candidates, the number seems a little high to me.

Fishnwire - did you read this?

Qualifications:knowledge of and experience in natural resource and public safety-related legislation, enforcement, investigative techniques, rules of evidence, laying charges, testifying in court, preparing Crown briefs and applications for search warrants, and court procedures; knowledge of natural resource management principles in the areas of commercial/sport fisheries, game/non-game species of wildlife and forestry; communication and presentation skills; interpersonal skills in negotiating and participating in conflict resolution; organizational, analytical, planning, investigative and intelligence gathering skills; ability to work independently; computer skills; proficiency in operating and maintaining water craft, snowmobiles and ATV`s; ability to fly and work in small aircraft; ability to qualify and be appointed as a Conservation Officer; ability to complete use of force training and firearms certification; standard first aid certificate, pleasure craft operators card; Canadian firearms safety course certificate, Ontario hunting licence; valid driver`s licence to conduct field work.

Does not look like an "entry level" position to me. Experience is the key word there - it is very likely that the guys who get these positions will have held similar positions either in other provinces or in the states. I've also heard of them recruiting from the OPP. As it was told to me by someone in the field, "Entry level" can be basically acting as a deputy learning the ropes in some far off place where the native language may not be english.

Many people keep saying this is a "dream job" - no doubt there are people who will enjoy the work, but keep in mind you would be part of a limited work force that is needed at key times of the year for outdoorsmen. Most of these guys don't get to hunt or fish as much as you or I or nearly as much as they would like to. It is their job to watch everyone else do it. It's like being a ref in the NHL - you're there on the ice, but you never play the game.

Edited by Northhunter

wow!!!

I am suprised how little they are paying

unusual hours /weekends

$30 to $33 aint with it IMO

lots of others job out there paying more and have better life outside of work for family

This is what I think as well.... seems low to me. I think in the $80-90K range is more like it for a CO. Police make decent money, and a CO career is most definitally just as demanding.... if not more so - erratic hours, lots of solo work, harsh conditions etc etc....

Burt :)

This is what I think as well.... seems low to me. I think in the $80-90K range is more like it for a CO. Police make decent money, and a CO career is most definitally just as demanding.... if not more so - erratic hours, lots of solo work, harsh conditions etc etc....

Burt :)

hey..its a fine rate of pay...remember, its our tax dollars at work...don't offer more if you don't have to

ask the union about that...maybe see if your union wants to do that with apprentices...first year free, because, hey not having to get out of bed for less than 65k a year is also a dream job for some people

Its a pretty good rate for a CO, but it does take a few years experience to qualify too. Its not a straight out of high school job.

Since you mentioned it, the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) pays its first period apprentices 40% of what their journeymen make, and like COs, they can be sent anywhere in the province for any length of time. Its a few years before they can hope to make $65K. Besides, if you would have read what I said a little closer you'd have noticed I clearly said I don't advocate any kind of unpaid internship.

I have no problem with seasoned COs making a good deal more than $65K...but for about the fifth time, if these positions are being filled by recent college graduates who are just entering the profession, they could offer far less than they are and still fill those vacancies. Period. I think its great for the individuals that land those jobs and earn decent money, I just wonder whether or not doing so is necessary and makes the most out of our limited resource management dollars.

Another poster has implied that these are not entry level positions, but will in fact be filled by individuals who, by nature of their skills and experience, command such salaries. If that is the case, that's an entirely different story.

One thing for certain is that its nice to see so many people defending the right of working people to make a good living. It's not something you see often enough.

Are you kidding me?????

Have you guys read the Job Spec?

That $62,000.00 salary is because of:

"*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement."

Do the COs belong to a union?

No wonder Ontario cannot afford to hire a larger number of COs.

carp-starter

65 grand isn't a lot of money! Crap, you guys should try working in a retail job for a while and catch a dose of reality. Try living on my income and see how it is on the other side. You guys wouldn't last a week in my world. Guess I just got out of bed at 6 AM on a Sunday morning for nothing, oh yeah I forgot, I just love to go in on a Sunday morning to get bull all day long from a bunch of cheap ass....oh forget it, why bother. Catch you all later, have a good day everyone, I'm off to the box again.

I haven't always been in this place but changes in life situations training and education in the wrong field lead to different outcomes, sometimes not so fortunate. Those who are in a decent bracket should be thankful for what they receive and not take it for granted. Too bad that some of us do fall into a trap and it takes time to climb out of it. Imagine this, I made more in the 80's than I do now.

Edited by pikehunter

The thing that strikes me as odd, is that something many people have been questioning is the hiring of more CO's and all the conversation has been around the wages.

I'm glad to see two postions posted. I am also glad to see a few members have taken advantage of this oppourtunity to look into these positions.

I personally hope they hire the most qualified people they can get.

I'm fairly sure the job is not all roses in riding around in boats and sleds checking out polite, courteous, well informed outdoors people.

Yes Irishfield, we have had this conversation before.

Maybe we could include members salary in their profile and then we could have good debate around the various pay rates of different professions. ;)

All in fun, actually wouldn't it be nice if someone from this board was successful at being hired.

Edited by Michael Brown

Are you kidding me?????

Are you kidding me, thats about half of what those Inco miners WERE making. :ph34r: