Ice fishing reel

ERB

I use my summer reels. My ultra and micro lites work fine unless its fairly cold. Even then they usually just stiffen up a bit, but it has to be 20 below before they freeze up. If its that cold I usually go home.

The advice about using a lubricating oil as apposed to grease sounds like a really good idea. I'm going to try that.

I bought one of those HT setups from Canadian Tire a few weeks back. 32" M action the rod is, the reel is a Accurist it's called I think.

Seems like a good combo for me.

I've used a few different ice reels and can't say I've had trouble with any of them. Only advice I can give, is don't use braid if it's really cold and you're not in a hut...the water it retains freezes and will make for a tough time fishing... also, the reason I quoted Mike, is if you're planning to target panfish make sure you're using an ultralight ice rod, or at least have one of those little spring deals on the tip of your rod to help detect hits!

good luck,

UF

I use the Shimano Sahara. This is also my Walleye reel in the summer months. What do you use in the Summer for a reel? I am sure it would be fine for ice fishing for Perch too. I main thing is you want balance, if the rod you use in the Summer is too large, you will find it uncomfortable on a small jigging rod. Make do with what you got and get out a few times, see what size and make others are using. There are some guys who don't use a reel at all for Perch. I know some of my American friends who come up to Simcoe use an aluminum arrow with 12lb mono. Do they catch fish? Sure do and lots of em! They don't even bother with all the hi tech stuff we bring with us. Why bother bringing cameras, flashers, huts and the rest. They travel light with only a few pails on the ATV and just keep checking spots.

You can use just about any reel for perch fishing. My perch rods all have old crappy reels on them, and they've never failed me. I would just pick up something small, and cheap. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you will want to clean them up, and lube with non-freezing reel oil.

My trout/whitefish rods, well that's another story..

Hey Guy's and Gal's, there are some really nice small panfish reels that Shimano has now ...true micro models for very light lines that will fit very well in the Kawartha's new fishery.

There is the ever popular AX-ULS along with four other 500 series sized reels at different price points that should suit almost any budget. I really like the Symetre 500FJ, but there are models in the Sahara, Sedonna, and Sienna families.

Be sure if you are new to ice fishing that you use grease that will not freeze if you service your own reels. I had an experience years ago where I had a reel that I thought was broken everytime I went out ...but when I checked it in the morning after the heat of the house got to it over night ...presto!! it was fine again... :rolleyes:

whatever you get , take it apart and clean all the grease out of it and lube it with oil so it doesnt freeze up

i like some of rapalas new ice gear havent used any of it yet though

So thats why my ice reels are jamming up and hard to reel in.I figured an ice reel would be lubed with sub zero grease.Stuppid me as a tech the reels are proably packed with generic grease.Ill try 75w90 syn gear oil,or even 2 stroke winter oil.Slick 50 should do the trick. :dunno::dunno::dunno: Ky jelly maybe,I will be fishing for something with those reels, I ll check the home reg and ask the wife if its open season yet.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

you want to know if your reel grease is acceptable for the cold, put the tube in your freezer at home for a couple hours and then check and see how stiff it is. As for slick 50, "brokeback mountain lube"
:lol::lol::lol: I will stay away from b b m lube then.They say it works like a charm though,as for who?Im not asking,and dont want to know.I ll clean the reels out and lube them with gear oil and a drop lucas additive.That should do it in cold temps.These reels I have at room temp there fine.