Anybody seen any deer anywhere?

richyb

The deer around the places I hunt must have heard me say I was going to shoot them or something because they have vanished over the last month. I had high hopes that after the dec shotgun hunt things would change but nope, still no deer. Before the Nov gun hunt I seen about 15 deer, since I have seen 2.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Im thinking misfish must have put out a huge bait pile and my deer are heading south. So anytime I expect to read a post from him on how he shot a buck that I have trail cam pics of. :lol:

Now that we have snow ill put on a few miles and see where they are hiding.

Good luck to anyone that is still deer hunting !

I havent given up and I am going out again this afternoon. Most hunters I speak with saw and harvested this year 1/2 of what they did a couple years ago. I've only seen two deer and didnt have a shot at either. Two friends both harvested nice bucks on the first day of the December shotgun hunt however. Probably been discussed before, two long winters and high predator population. Both bait piles where I hunt had coyote crap near.

Got a nice 8 pointer with my car Friday night just south of maynoth, In all the years ive been driveing at night up north first time this happened , came up over a hill and it was right there in middle of road ,I now know what deer caught in the headlights means , It didnt try to move just bang and than it was in the seat beside me .Nead to go car shopping today , amazeing what a 150 pound animal can do to your car at 100 klicks . lucky I came out with only a kick to the head , blood was everyware inside car some mine but mostly the poor deer , what a mess ..

Got a nice 8 pointer with my car Friday night just south of maynoth, In all the years ive been driveing at night up north first time this happened , came up over a hill and it was right there in middle of road ,I now know what deer caught in the headlights means , It didnt try to move just bang and than it was in the seat beside me .Nead to go car shopping today , amazeing what a 150 pound animal can do to your car at 100 klicks . lucky I came out with only a kick to the head , blood was everyware inside car some mine but mostly the poor deer , what a mess ..

:w00t::w00t:

i wont sleep tonight!

good thing those 8 points didnt impale your skull!

Edited by fishing 24/7

I'm not aware of any highways in the Maynooth area that have 100kph zones. ;)

There are a few moving brown and white traffic cones.

Deer numbers seem to be down everywhere. Still a few pockets left with numbers but hard to find. I would imagine there will be a reduction in tags issued next year.

On a positive note the wolf/coyote hunting should be very popular this winter with good results expected.

Pretty similar situation up here, no where to be found..... the herd seemed to have moved :wallbash: Where.... I don't know :dunno:

Even my brother in law only seen 7 different deers this riffle season.... not normal for this area.... on a normal year, he would see 30 to 50 deers in a weekend alone :w00t:

I think it's due to the increase in deer predators..... lots more bear, wolves and coyotes in the bush now a days.

My deer season came to an end mid November.... now waiting for the ice to show up :D

Good luck to ya for the hunt and tight lines

Jacques

seems like everyone is reporting low numbers this season. lots of snow last winter would have put a dent in the population in some areas. the warmer than normal temps we've had this fall left corn standing longer than normal resulting in less deer being seen. deer will almost live entirely in corn fields if there is water nearby.

a few weeks ago i tagged a little buck in the tiny bush where we hunt. my father was watching 6 does in the field when i shot that deer and i had 2 others by my stand so we know theres at least 8 left . just waiting on a good snow so i can get out to track one down with my crossbow.

I am still see fresh tracks where I hunt but the deer have gone completely nocturnal. I still will sit in the blind during the occasional afternoon just in case one gets antsy and starts moving before sundown. When the snow comes I will have to track one down.

Still lots in Niagara. GF was out walking her pups and nearly got charged by a randy buck. She was walking along the road and saw him..nice 8 pointer... but since she was walking her dogs, figured he would move on. He didn't..she got about 30 feet away and stomped her feet.

He stomped back, snorted and lowered his head..she decided to go another way.

I woulda held my ground just to see if he would really take me on..don't know what I would do if he did..lol.

Your right Mr Brown and now I know why , leave city late , get stuck in the crazy traffic from downtown to the shaw so now its really late and with still aways to go before barrys bay ,thought I finally had the road to myself , foot got a little heavey .Was a hard leason to learn but theres a good reason for speed limits ...

Rick ol boy if it would of been you and he had taken you on, you would have been in the hospital. lol you dont want any part of those hooves, they will cut ya to bits.

glad your gf changed directions, a ticked buck could do some real damage.

jason

Rick ol boy if it would of been you and he had taken you on, you would have been in the hospital. lol you dont want any part of those hooves, they will cut ya to bits.

glad your gf changed directions, a ticked buck could do some real damage.

jason

Absolutely...but those would be the coolest scars ever...

Theres no bears to wrassle down here, so might as well take on a buck...

2 out of 3 falls...UFC rules, tap out allowed :)

lol rick, those might not be worth it, make something up to impress the party guest's. my family raised a buck from about 3 days old, found abandoned in the hay field and his back legs were screwed up, couldnt stand and mother had abandoned him. had him for 2 years untill his oats needed some sewing and he left the garage he never was aggressive towards us but our dogs were in trouble if they got too close, wicked fast with those hooves. we never got a permit,cause he was free to go whenever he wanted, he just chose to sleep in the garage most nights. it was very cool to have this big deer come in of an evening and bed down 3 feet from the garage door. he was a fork horn(4pt) when he finally left.

jason

Still lots in Niagara. GF was out walking her pups and nearly got charged by a randy buck. She was walking along the road and saw him..nice 8 pointer... but since she was walking her dogs, figured he would move on. He didn't..she got about 30 feet away and stomped her feet.

He stomped back, snorted and lowered his head..she decided to go another way.

I woulda held my ground just to see if he would really take me on..don't know what I would do if he did..lol.

The bucks were in the rut , are you sure he was thinking about fighting? haha. j/k A few years back I just got down from my tree stand and heard a snap. I turned around to see a nice buck coming through the bush and got about 10 feet away untill he noticed me. He started snorting and kicking the ground and kept edging closer. Finaly about 5 feet i had enough and said " HEY" he sure took off fast. Not sure if he was wanting to fight or if it was the doe pee all over my boots lol but either way I didnt want any part of his action. :P

There's plenty around here. This is from the Dec. controlled hunt.

Deer_Hunt_2009_017.jpg

What controlled hunt area were you guys? Nice Harvest.

Love this snow. FINALLY. :clapping::clapping:

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Im thinking misfish must have put out a huge bait pile and my deer are heading south. So anytime I expect to read a post from him on how he shot a buck that I have trail cam pics of.

Rich,I still have them around,well, the week before the controlled hunt anyways. My area for Dec,is buck only.

Just back from training.I,ll be out after work Friday to see whats up.I,ll also be retrieving my chip from the cam.

Some pics before the corn was down,it is now down. :worthy::thumbsup_anim:

20091130_33.jpg

20091130_34.jpg

20091129_22.jpg