The Ice is finally here

limeyangler

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......thats a sigh of relief

Woke up this morning to the wonderful sight of a completely iced over lake....its been a long time coming.

Its amazing how just a slight variation in weather conditions produces such a dramatic transformation within hours.

Our lake has been ready to go for weeks now. Its started to ice up only for warmer temps to kick in and wind to dissipate what ice had formed.

last week saw temperatures dip quite a bit, was minus temps during the day (average -3 or 4) with minus 10 during at night, only problem was the northerly winds bringing the cold air were pretty strong so only the back bays were skimmed.

Last night saw the wind finally drop and by the time the light was fading you could see the ice forming in the main bay right before your eyes...it was that quick!

After snapping a few pictures in front of the house i was pumped and I decided to go check out a couple of walleye lakes within 20 mins drive from me and those lakes were encouraging too.....only around 1-2 inches on all.....and that was close to shore.....but if the 5 day report is accurate i'll be drilling holes by next weekend.

I'll be wearing my PFD and icepicks though and wont be going alone....even with this late ice up ( 3 weeks later than last year) i aint gonna risk my life for the sake of fishing, i'm good on 4 inches of black ice...new ice.....anything less i'll wait a couple more days thanks....lol.

WEATHER FOR THE NEXT 5 DAYS....HOPEFULLY

Capture.jpg

IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE THIS MORNING

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

ice4.jpg

SMALL LAKE 10 MINUTES AWAY

ice5.jpg

ice6.jpg

ANOTHER LARGER LAKE 20 MINS AWAY

ice7.jpg

ice8.jpg

ice9.jpg

ice10.jpg

RAN INTO THIS GUY HUNTING CRITTERS ON OUR DRIVEWAY COMING HOME

ice11.jpg

ice12.jpg

ice13.jpg

ice14.jpg

ice15.jpg

ice16.jpg

Cant wait till next weekend.......i'll be inching my way out all week checking ice thickness in front of the house, i'll be tying a rope round the small pine you can see in the first pic though!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Best news I've read all week!!! Once you're on...we're hopefully only a week or two behind!! And at the very least, I'll have some reports to read!!!

Awesome pics of the fox, too :thumbsup_anim:

Limey I've been to Dryden many times on my way to Perrault. Just curious what lake are you on (wabigoon?) And what is it like to winter there? By comparison here in Kansas we may get at best 11-15 days of safe ice, and we generally chase crappies. I tell myself every year I want to find a place to icefish but never manage it.

not fair! hahah i have about 20 feet of ice out from shore on my small pike lake! i want ice!

i hope to see a hardwater report from you soon simon!

good luck this coming season

Matt!

Thanks Matt, i'll will some of this cold your way!

Rubbing it in like that won't get you on my Christmas card list Simon

Can you tell I'm jealous as all get out.

Good luck next weekend...you...you...icehole

Looking forward to a hardwater report!

Thanks buddy, lol....this 'icehole' will post a report soon.

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best news I've read all week!!! Once you're on...we're hopefully only a week or two behind!! And at the very least, I'll have some reports to read!!!

Awesome pics of the fox, too

Yeah...i bet your dying to be outfished by the one who goes by the name 'LJ' ....just kiddin buddy, glad its good news for you too....its made my life a whole lot more bareable....i'm enjoying the extra time with baby jack...but the fishing withdrawals are bad at the moment.

You may very well be the first to get up an icefishing report this season Simon and I'm looking forward to it. Good luck and be safe. :Gonefishing:

I hope so Chris, not cuz i wanna beat anyone to it...i'm just desperate for some good (or bad) fishing :blink: goin nuts waiting!

I sure hope some of that weather drifts down this way...tighten the lakes up nice, then dump some snow on them

We aint had much snow at all...if it carries on like this i'll be wishin i had an ATV!

Limey I've been to Dryden many times on my way to Perrault. Just curious what lake are you on (wabigoon?) And what is it like to winter there? By comparison here in Kansas we may get at best 11-15 days of safe ice, and we generally chase crappies. I tell myself every year I want to find a place to icefish but never manage it.

Yes MPH...i'm on Wabigoon, winters are long and cold...jan /feb probably averages minus 25 C, so you better like icefishing if ya live up here....lol.

I want to see a nice report and the weather is BEAUTIFUL!!!! What fish are you after?

Anything that wants to bite.....first trip will be walleye, just because trout doesn't open till Jan 1st, next trip out i'll try for whitefish and walleye, but as soon as trout season opens...thats my real icefishing passion.

that's awesome Simon! I just started ice fishing the last two seasons, and really got into it last year. I can't wait for my local ponds to start freezing up. I was out on Lake Erie (long point bay) last christmas but I seriously doubt that'll be happening this year... Good luck and be safe dude!

Yeah Ryan, the weather is crazy this year eh? I'll be safe too.....i'm keen....not suicical....lol, always go with a buddy first couple of times out.

You taking Avery with ya icefishing again?....i cant wait till Jack is a bit older......god i hope he likes fishing as mmuch as your clan!

You lucky dawg

Over here not much ice so far...... but winds are from the North West and dipping below zero at night.

Guess it won't be long now :Gonefishing: But I still think you're lucky Simon ;)B):thumbsup_anim:

Jacques

Yeah, i'm blessed living here....and i get out as often as possible so i dont take it for granted !

Thanks Jacques...looking forward to your reports, you taking your daughter out again...that was an excellent report....i loved that post....you 2 have the exact same smile.

Ah good news Simon that means you should be the first to show us an ice fishing report.

Now get out the Zamboni clear the ice and invite us up for a game of Hockey and Ice fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Gonefishing:

LOL...i should steal (oooops...i meant borrow) the Zamboni from the Arena, drive it down Van Horne avenue to the ice road and across to my bay. My wife cleared a patch a couple of years ago....it was tough going to keep it good, flooded it with the auger...but its so freekin' cold the water turned to slush right away usually, not a very even surface,,,,then there's the snow....cant we just ice fish?....lol

SHE DID A GOOD JOB, BUT A ZAMBONI WOULD HELP....LOL

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01828.jpg