Thank You OFNC and Goodbye Grandma...

Hey guys - I started this a couple of weeks ago, but was just able to finish it....

Only a few short months ago Ginny's Grandmother, Irene Anderson, was diagnosed with terminal cancer. And a couple of weeks ago, she lost her short, and painful battle to this terrible disease. I've lost family members to cancer in the past , but I was quite fond of Grandma Anderson, and was around her often enough to see just how rough it can be. She took it like a champ though, and smiled and joked to her very last day. The final words I heard from her, was when she jokingly told Ginny "He's my boyfriend you know" right after I gave her 4 long goodbye hugs and kisses at the hospital, knowing that it'd likely be last time I saw her alive. Irene was a talented artist, and very loving grandmother. So remember, especially because the holiday season is on our doorsteps, to always tell those that you care about how much they mean to you.

This post isn't a bid for sympathy, as we've already had time to reflect and remember, however I felt as though it was quite important for me to express to everybody who was involved in the Fish-a-Thon for Cancer this past August, just how appreciative she was. She proudly cut out and displayed the news article that ran in the local paper.

So thank you OFC, you made pledges, you donated prizes, and you fished in the first annual Fish-a-Thon for cancer........ but most of all you made an elderly lady smile, even though she knew full well that she had little time left.

Cheers,

Ryan

The Article - some of you guys are in that photo!

FAFC.jpg

Great Grandma with my kids and their cousins...

IMG_3991.jpg

One of our last party sessions! haha

IMG_4197_2.jpg

And a couple of her paintings....the only one's I had on hand at the house here... took photos of them.

Local Tobacco Painting

DSCF1967.jpg

Ginny and I in our university days...not so long ago..

DSCF1972.jpg

And one of her last sketches, of my baby boy Luke.

CCE00000.jpg

Those painting are beautiful Ryan, she was very talented. Being a part of the Fish-A-Thon was the highlight of my year. It really hit me close to home since my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer this year and it showed me just how many good people are around me and willing to support a great cause. You have a great family and she will never be forgotten.

Thanks for the tears Ryan ! ..and I do mean thanks!

X2

Sorry for your loss Ryan, I remember the original post.

Think I gave a donation because I could not attend the Fish-a-Thon.

I also have lost 2 family members to this, an uncle and my Dad.

Irene was obviously a special lady to you.

Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

Thanks for the tears Ryan ! ..and I do mean thanks!

No tears intended, but thanks for the post Irish. Much appreciated.

I've been sitting here trying to think of something appropriate to say, but you've already said it better.

JF

Thanks John - Means a lot... And thanks again for the generous donation!

Those painting are beautiful Ryan, she was very talented. Being a part of the Fish-A-Thon was the highlight of my year. It really hit me close to home since my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer this year and it showed me just how many good people are around me and willing to support a great cause. You have a great family and she will never be forgotten.

X2

Thanks Dan, again for everything. I'm glad you enjoyed the Fish-a-Thon as much as you did, and I'm looking forward to working with you on next years. I'm very sorry about your grandmother. Best wishes from my family to yours!

A beautiful post Ryan. Thank you.

Thanks Spiel - but you best get feeling better yourself! I want to see some reports ASAP! ;)

You're a good man Ryan. This is sure to bring you good vibes all around.

Respect brah.

cheers

HD

Thanks dude - A few big fish before the end of '09 would be nice, but I didn't do it for the vibes...

Thanks for the post.

It must be nice to have such personal mementos of your grandma.

She had talent. :)

That she did Mike... I've got a bunch of prints put away somewhere. Once we dig them out I'll take some shots and post them for everybody to see. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for your loss Ryan, I remember the original post.

Think I gave a donation because I could not attend the Fish-a-Thon.

I also have lost 2 family members to this, an uncle and my Dad.

Irene was obviously a special lady to you.

Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

You were one of the first people to hop on board for the Fish-a-Thon. Thanks again...for the post as well.

a beautiful talent. a beautiful life, and good for you, a beautiful love

Thanks Backbay - She was taken to soon in my opinion, but such is life.... we were lucky to have her.

Very nicely stated.

Thank you kindly!

She definitely was talented and Im sure she will be missed.

We will miss her TJ, and thank you again. OFC does remarkable things, and we all appreciate the work you guys put into it. In the end though, it wouldn't exist if wasn't for you TJ. So thank you!

No tears intended,

Yah I know that... but brings back a lot of memories. Lost my father in similar fashion. Fell off a chair while waiting for Christmas dinner to be ready in 1985 (thanks to a cancer growth the size of an orange bursting on his kidney) and was gone by April.... he painted as well . Add a sister and Mother this summer and it all hits home.

Glad you've found peace with it all Ryan.. sounds like she was quite the Lady !

Yah I know that... but brings back a lot of memories. Lost my father in similar fashion. Fell off a chair while waiting for Christmas dinner to be ready in 1985 (thanks to a cancer growth the size of an orange bursting on his kidney) and was gone by April.... he painted as well . Add a sister and Mother this summer and it all hits home.

Glad you've found peace with it all Ryan.. sounds like she was quite the Lady !

I'm sorry that cancer has had such an effect on your life Irish. Hopefully sooner than later, it'll be a thing of the past. Best wishes from myself and the rest of my little family this Holiday Season!

Best wishes Ryan. Thanks for sharing (PM sent).

Rob v.

Got your PM Rob..just haven't had a chance to get back to you. What a small world! Thanks for the message...