deer and moose sheds

grt1

I met a trapper today at walmart who was telling me of a case of a local artist (Dryden area). who had a display of her carvings in antlers at a local display. She was approached by a game warden who asked where she got her antlers. The warden was looking at a large moose rack with the top half of the skull attached. She told him a friend had shot the moose and gave her the antlers to use for her art. The game warden then told her she shouldn't have them as it was illegal to give them away. So at that point she said, "ok, i found them in the bush and brought them home".

A couple days later 4 game wardens showed up at her studio with a search warrant and siezed all her finished antlers and any others she had to work on. They also charged her for making false statements to the game wardens as she changed her story.

The trapper said the artist was given a large fine and has to apply for permits for each set of antlers in order to keep them. He also said many people in the area are donating to her "fine fund" .

So I guess my question is this, has anyone ever heard of a permit for antlers, be they give to you or found in the bush?

Thats the first I ever heard of anything as silly as that.

I guess with the over abundance of CO's they have lots of time for this sort of thing

Now, possibly they could have gotten her for selling the antlers, but not for picking up sheds.

That would be the main issue I think... selling them. You can't legally sell a skin mount fish either... and I remember something about you can't give away head mounts/antlers either. Changing her story to the CO was probably funny to her.. but obviously not to him.

That said... if they go after one.. they're gonna be really busy with the rest. Just google giving away deer sheds and you'll find dozens of artists selling their wares... even dog food companys selling them as doggy chews !

That would be the main issue I think... selling them. You can't legally sell a skin mount fish either... and I remember something about you can't give away head mounts/antlers either. Changing her story to the CO was probably funny to her.. but obviously not to him.

That said... if they go after one.. they're gonna be really busy with the rest. Just google giving away deer sheds and you'll find dozens of artists selling their wares... even dog food companys selling them as doggy chews !

They are the best chews! If anyone knows a good spot in Niagara for sheds...let me know. Uhhh...PM me though..lol.

I know you aren't supposed to sell them straight from the field, but pick them...??... :dunno:

Most may remember this project.

I have been considering selling it so I went to my local MNR and asked.

I was told that being it was a legally obtained set plus I'm really selling the artwork and not the antler--I was given the ok.

I believe the value of the art must be worth more say than the antler.

I've looked into this over time---years ago I donated an antler painting to a local food bank to raise $$

One constant I've found---at different mnr offices---they are somewhat non-committal on thie whole issue.

This story will get me to re-ask again

Bushart

At the annual Fur Harvesters Convention in North Bay, there is an artist who carves things out of antler sheds.

I actually found an antler shed on my trapline the year before, I brought it to him along with a picture of my camp, and he carved my camp into the antler. It's amazing....I will post a pic later tonight.

Anyways, I remember someone saying that if it is evident that it is a shed, there is no problem. But if the base of the antler is cut, thus removing the evidence that is was a shed, you might run into problems.

I think where the trouble is is when someone harvests an animal and gives/sells the skull/antlers. It would be just like selling the meat, wich is illegal, i think. lol

Nothing I said may be right, but that my opinion.

It's illegal to sell any part of a game fish or game animal shot, found on the side of the road or accidentally killed. All songbirds are off limits unless you have a salvage permit. Birds of Prey require you to bring the bird to the local MNR office and get a permit, they will check to ensure that it was an accidental kill, some use x-rays. Fur bearers fall under a different license.

A local taxidermist got caught selling fish and his defence was that he was selling the plaque or driftwood that the fish was on; it didn't fly.

My suggestion is to always check with your local MNR office, especially if you ever plan on selling something, even if you feel you are selling the art.

I believe they are trying to prevent a black market with our local game.

You can buy animal parts such as capes, hides and antlers from other countries and provinces, you just require proof of purchase.

Still, there are a lot of grey areas and I would always check with the MNR and get their decision in writing before proceeding. There was a big ongoing story in the Toronto media a while back about someone selling an old moose head mount at a garage sale. It went on for over a year and I can't image how many tax payers $$$$ were wasted on this case. Not much leniency with the sale of our game.

Well I checked again with my local MNR office---they've seen a picture of the artwork

The antlers are mine---I did'nt go out and buy them or find them illegally

I'm just waiting to hear back but I'm still thinking I will be able to sell this piece

Obviously they are trying to avoid the black market parts biz---so would I

It's not as if I just painted the antler black or red and said TA-Da--here it is---that's not gonna fly

The value must be in the artwork itself

(Being honest I also invited them to come to my home and see it in person---I live by the letter of this law cause penalties usually involve Larger $$ and loss of privelages---that I'm not prepared to gamble with)

On a side note---think I'm going to stick to canvas'---this antler stuff----way too many questions

Bushart

I wouldn't think that finding an antler shed is illegal, it's what you do with it after that. It could be that you can sell them, just make sure, so you don't face unwanted charges and expenses that you didn't count on. You can't claim ignorance.

At the annual Fur Harvesters Convention in North Bay, there is an artist who carves things out of antler sheds.

I actually found an antler shed on my trapline the year before, I brought it to him along with a picture of my camp, and he carved my camp into the antler. It's amazing....I will post a pic later tonight.

Here are the pictures I said I would post. Amazing work.

Here is the exact picture I gave him along with the antler I found.

dsc02018su5.jpg

This is what he did with it.

dsc02029zh.jpg

dsc02031.jpg

And this is what I meant when I said I thought artists were suposed to leave evidence it was a shed. You can see the one on the right has been cut flat so the antler would stand on its own.

dsc02034qh.jpg

I will try to talk to a CO that works in my building. I'll try and get some documents or somthing to post.

There was an article recently in OOD about shed 'hunting' and it provided the laws regarding possession. I'm pretty sure if you find the sheds, you can possess as many as you want, but there are laws about giving them away and/or selling them.

correct, i think that issue is in my office (bathroom) right now. However I think they printed a clarification on something in the article the next issue too.

ok, found it here.

"people should clearly understand that only cast antlers can be sold, and only one set without a licence. This doesn't include antlers that are still attached to a skull or antlers that have been cut from a skull. Cast antlers are identified by the pedicle on the base of the antler when they fall off naturally"

there was more, but i'm not going to type it out. you can find as many as you like, but can only sell or buy one set per year without a game hides and cast antlers dealers licence.

Good to review, as I'm going to try shed hunting this spring

Well I heard from the MNR

I will be selling my painting (When the right buyer comes along)

He did admit this being a very gray area

I am selling the value of this artwork though and not the antler.

He has seen my work and agrees that there is the value in the painting and that is the selling point.

I still think this will be the end of the antler art road though for me.

Bushart

[quote name='grt1' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:48 PM' post='408008'".

A couple days later 4 game wardens showed up at her studio with a search warrant

4 game wardens.. :blink::blink:

One to bring the Tim Horton's coffee

One to hand out the search warrant

One as a back-up...I guess

The fourth one as a ... :dunno::dunno: