Mew Lake yurts?

siwash

Hey folks,

Has anyone here winter camped in Algonquin (or anywhere else for that matter). I am hoping to take a large group (25-30) up there in late February.

What's it like? Is it good value? You can't cook in the yurt so is there a cooking area or fire pit?

Any info is greatly appreciated..

thanks

Winter camping is actually becoming a very popular activity! Guys, you gotta expnad your horizons a bit.. fishing isn't the only activity out there!

The yurts are heated portable shelters.. Winter camping is no less "crazy" than sitting of a hole in the ice.. in fact, you're moving around a lot more... snowshoeing, x-country skiing, etc..

the yurts are set at ambient temp... propane heated

I have been fortunate enough to have tripped through Algonquin for many years ... its getting tougher now as the old back can't take it ...

But we have winter camped at Mew Lake for several years, I am not going this year however, my buddy has booked again just before Christmas

The yurts are great, they have bunk beds and a heater in each yurt and the cooking is done outside , bring your own portable bbq ..it is actually quite comfortable inside with the heater. They also recently (couple years ago) got the comfort station functioning (showers and indoor toilets).

The peace and quiet is amazing especially during heavy snowfalls, there are several cross country ski trails if thats your thing ...

We always bring lots of wood to burn along with some drinks for around the fire ... there are a lot of hardcore campers that setup with tents and even saw some guys building and sleeping in a Qunzee (type of igloo)

Since I don't have enough time to ice fish and I have invested more money into it , I am now saving my weekends for that ... too bad Algonquin is closed for ice fishing. I recommend you try out the yurts in winter.

Someone had brought this to my attention recently, looks like fun actually. I know they have some yurts setup at Bronte Creek as well. Heck, I would do that, but I think I would need to fish as well. Make sure you post some pics if you do go.

I think they have yurts at the Pinery prov. park too. Never used them though.

Winter camping is a lot different than summer camping. Still fun though. But what I didn't like was that it got dark (and much colder) at 4:00 in the afternoon. :huh: So you better have a lot of firewood together or you end up going to bed at 8:00 in the evening and listening to the wolves sniffing around outside your tent all night. Makes for a long night. :canadian:

I have been fortunate enough to have tripped through Algonquin for many years ... its getting tougher now as the old back can't take it ...

But we have winter camped at Mew Lake for several years, I am not going this year however, my buddy has booked again just before Christmas

The yurts are great, they have bunk beds and a heater in each yurt and the cooking is done outside , bring your own portable bbq ..it is actually quite comfortable inside with the heater. They also recently (couple years ago) got the comfort station functioning (showers and indoor toilets).

The peace and quiet is amazing especially during heavy snowfalls, there are several cross country ski trails if thats your thing ...

We always bring lots of wood to burn along with some drinks for around the fire ... there are a lot of hardcore campers that setup with tents and even saw some guys building and sleeping in a Qunzee (type of igloo)

Since I don't have enough time to ice fish and I have invested more money into it , I am now saving my weekends for that ... too bad Algonquin is closed for ice fishing. I recommend you try out the yurts in winter.

Thanks, great input!!

I think they have yurts at the Pinery prov. park too. Never used them though.

Winter camping is a lot different than summer camping. Still fun though. But what I didn't like was that it got dark (and much colder) at 4:00 in the afternoon. :huh: So you better have a lot of firewood together or you end up going to bed at 8:00 in the evening and listening to the wolves sniffing around outside your tent all night. Makes for a long night. :canadian:

Late February sun sets pretty late.. 5:30? maybe even close to 6

Friends and I stayed there last year and have booked again for February. Yurts are great for those, who like me, aren't interested in doing real winter camping. The yurts have electric heaters, but only space for 6. With that many people, you may have problems booking enough yurts on a weekend. There are no bbqs so we cook using Coleman stoves. One other nice thing about Mew Lake is the heated bathrooms and showers. Also keep in mind no fishing in Algonquin through the winter.

The services at each park with yurts changes depending on the park. MacGregor Point has bbq, electric heat and heated bathrooms, while Silent Lake has wood stoves in the yurt and there are no heated bathrooms. A little more rustic but pretty cold in the middle of the night in February!

Hope the photos from Mew Lake help.

Jon

DSC_3918.jpg

DSC_4010.jpg