Walmart

Billy Bob

REDNECK!!! :w00t:

I have a super wally 15 miles to the east and 20 miles to the west of me, both are open 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week, 363 days a year.. they only close for Easter Sunday and Christmas Day!

Wal-Mart isn't just a shopping experience... it's a CULT!!!

... as for the the people that don't like Wal-Mart, we'd appreciate it if you wouldn't shop there... it makes the checkout lines shorter... and we didn't want to shop with your nasty :asshat: anyway!!! <_<

HAHAHA! :clapping:

Say what you will about unions. Sooner or later many of us will be working in a Walmart because that's the only jobs that will be left!

Working environment at that company is the pits. Low pay, crappy hours, lousy shifts and morons for managers (well some at least). Not only that but full time is considered 28 hours a week...not 40 as you would expect. This gives them the advantage of cutting back on hours in the fall of the year and after the Xmas season is said and done. They can still consider an employee full time so they can avoid many problems associated with cutting back.

Do Walmart employees need a union to stand up for their rights? I would say yes they do, if you disagree then go ahead, try working for them. I tried it for a month, full time too, got in a disagreement with an A hole manager who had her head stuck up in a cloud and told her to stick it. Just wasn't worth it. I did it for a change from what I had been doing figuring it would be interesting to explore and investigate the company from the inside and found I didn't care for it even though I had a lot of respect for the late Sam Walton and how he made his company the largest in the world but no body knows what anyone puts up with until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Too bad the union didn't win as it would certainly have looked good on Walmart.

I dislike Walmart and unions alike. Both take advantage of a situation whereby they can either pay people less for the work they do, or get more money from working people while providing a questionable service - where either strong government (or community) support or honest corporate management would ensure that fair salaries were paid for work rendered. Both skew the balance of things, salary wise, imo.

But entities such as Wal-mart make unions necessary. Canada didn't get all the unions it has by accident. They came into existence exactly because employers were irresponsible in providing fair salaries, benefits, etc... You need only look up "Tommy Douglas" on google to read up about that. Corporatism has a bloody history, in Canada.

But at the same time, I think unions can over play their value. Having lived in a country where unions are illegal and the poverty level was 48K/year, I can tell you that responsible government is the key.

But... oh yeah! responsible government? in Canada? :lol: Tax more! Offer less!

p.-

reminds me of VALE boy did those boys teach inco a lesson, still in strike since june! lol

How subtle an attack on my signature. You're not correct though. The company began an extended maintenance shut-down in May which was scheduled to last until near September. Most of us were to be laid off for that period and the strike didn't start until near the end of July. I often don't agree with the tactics my union leadership employs, believe me...that said, if it wasn't for the right to collective bargaining, I wouldn't have compensation and benefits even worth fighting for. As a tradesman I know that my non-union counterparts make, on average, 30% less than I do. Those numbers don't lie.

In our case, the company (which is highly profitable) is demanding large concessions from its employees. If your boss was making money hand over fist and one day he told you he wanted to pay you significantly less, how would you feel? The simple fact is that unless you have the training, experience, and qualifications necessary, and actually hold a particular job, it's really hard for you to say what someone who does should be comfortable earning. I don't know what you do, but I'll bet you think you should earn more, and chances are you deserve to. I almost certainly can't do your job and/or don't want it...besides, I don't have that job, so my opinion on appropriate compensation would be completely meaningless.

When I was an uneducated, unskilled young man I worked at a non-union hotel as a maintenance guy for close to minimum wage. I had few if any other options. The company (at the time INCO) I now work for was on strike then as it is now. I remember having absolutely no sympathy for those striking workers. I thought that they already made many times what I made, and that they should be happy with that. I even took some amount of selfish, spite-filled joy from knowing that these guys were stressed out and suffering from the kind of financial hardships that I did all the time. the thought of them already being so much better off than me, but wanting even more made my blood boil. The internet didn't exist back then, but if it did I would have even been so smug and bitter about the whole situation that I might have written "lol" at the end of a post I had written mocking their struggle. I wouldn't have admitted to it then but I was jealous and bitter that I hadn't made other choices that would allow me to be a candidate for better job and a better life. I know a lot of people dislike unions for a variety of reasons (or at least they tell themselves that they do) and a lot of those reasons are quite valid. But I also know from experience that for at least some people, their feelings surrounding the whole issue stem from little more than a basic character flaw common to human nature called envy.

You told us what you thought about the stricking workers at Vale, so I thought I'd take a second and let you know what this stricking member thinks. I did my best to remain respectful, and I think I did so. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. The big difference is that my opinion gets counted in the form of a vote on the contract and yours does not.

Edited by Fishnwire

Born and raised in the inco city pal, many many friends and many family members are all on strike, your only one opinion.

You are exactly right, sir. That's why I stated I was only saying "what this stricking member thinks".

Edited by Fishnwire

:thumbsup_anim: now since your off ...go fishing and post a report!!! :Gonefishing:

:angel:

I have to go work on my broken trailer so I can get my quad in the bush. I hope to finish today. Just waiting for my Father-in-law to finish his chores around his place and I'm going to meet him at my buddy's where the trailer is parked.

Don't worry...I got PLENTY of fishing in this summer. ;) Best season ever. :D:D:D

... yeah, you can't fix stupid eh!

Well since you're a Wal-Mart hater, I guess you've never seen the people that work there... most of them couldn't work somewhere else. Tim Hortons can only employ soo many people in a town yanno. :rolleyes:

i guess you really cant :rolleyes:

i never have or will work at timmies or walmart, but that comment was totally uncalled for.

many years ago we actually needed unions to make jobs safer and to ensure people werent getting worked to death. now the only thing unions are good for is protecting lazy workers. ;)

a large concrete company with 40+ employees that i use to work for went union after the workers voted for it. all they thought about was making more money. less than 2 years later they will be closing the business because of all the union Bull. the company had been making big profits for over 10 years and shared those profits by handing out big christmas bonuses, work clothes/boots, and having christmas parties were more than 100 people usually attended for all you can eat/drink.

How subtle an attack on my signature. You're not correct though. The company began an extended maintenance shut-down in May which was scheduled to last until near September. Most of us were to be laid off for that period and the strike didn't start until near the end of July. I often don't agree with the tactics my union leadership employs, believe me...that said, if it wasn't for the right to collective bargaining, I wouldn't have compensation and benefits even worth fighting for. As a tradesman I know that my non-union counterparts make, on average, 30% less than I do. Those numbers don't lie.

In our case, the company (which is highly profitable) is demanding large concessions from its employees. If your boss was making money hand over fist and one day he told you he wanted to pay you significantly less, how would you feel? The simple fact is that unless you have the training, experience, and qualifications necessary, and actually hold a particular job, it's really hard for you to say what someone who does should be comfortable earning. I don't know what you do, but I'll bet you think you should earn more, and chances are you deserve to. I almost certainly can't do your job and/or don't want it...besides, I don't have that job, so my opinion on appropriate compensation would be completely meaningless.

When I was an uneducated, unskilled young man I worked at a non-union hotel as a maintenance guy for close to minimum wage. I had few if any other options. The company (at the time INCO) I now work for was on strike then as it is now. I remember having absolutely no sympathy for those striking workers. I thought that they already made many times what I made, and that they should be happy with that. I even took some amount of selfish, spite-filled joy from knowing that these guys were stressed out and suffering from the kind of financial hardships that I did all the time. the thought of them already being so much better off than me, but wanting even more made my blood boil. The internet didn't exist back then, but if it did I would have even been so smug and bitter about the whole situation that I might have written "lol" at the end of a post I had written mocking their struggle. I wouldn't have admitted to it then but I was jealous and bitter that I hadn't made other choices that would allow me to be a candidate for better job and a better life. I know a lot of people dislike unions for a variety of reasons (or at least they tell themselves that they do) and a lot of those reasons are quite valid. But I also know from experience that for at least some people, their feelings surrounding the whole issue stem from little more than a basic character flaw common to human nature called envy.

You told us what you thought about the stricking workers at Vale, so I thought I'd take a second and let you know what this stricking member thinks. I did my best to remain respectful, and I think I did so. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. The big difference is that my opinion gets counted in the form of a vote on the contract and yours does not.

very well said fishnwire, stand strong

I wish they would close all of them.

Likewise.

Between Canadian Tire and Loblaws everything is available and better quality and cheaper.

Whenever at Walmart felt like i was cattle being herded and exploited.

many years ago we actually needed unions to make jobs safer and to ensure people werent getting worked to death. now the only thing unions are good for is protecting lazy workers. ;)

I don't know who was the first person to come up with this line of thinking...you hear it over and over again. If I had a dime for every time someone (who doesn't belong to one) has uttered the phrase "unions have outlived their usefulness" I wouldn't care about working for a living because I'd have all the money I'd ever need. The simple and obvious fact is that unions are still needed (perhaps now more than ever) simply to maintain those gains have been fought for and earned by working people over the years. This notion that companies would continue to pay union wages and maintain the kind of health and safety standards that don't exist outside of union shops should they not be forced to through collective bargaining is beyond naive. If their feet weren't being held to the fire they'd like nothing more than for things to go back to being more like they were before unions existed.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

questioning walmarts ethics is no better than questioning nikes.

they have made their fortune on the backs of slave/child labour, part time workstaff, not paying benefits, and yes, keeping out the unions. how are they going to hire all part timers and not pay benefits if the union gets involved?

Not me , I wish they would open more of them ....

Put all those little stores out of buisness ..you know the ones that way way overcharge for everthing... B):canadian::canadian:

So if a Walmart sized business which competes with the company you work for (assuming one exists) came to your town you'd be eager to see your boss put out of business and you out of a job so your customers could get a better deal? I am fairly certain your tune would change pretty quick.

I don't know who was the first person to come up with this line of thinking...you hear it over and over again. If I had a dime for every time someone (who doesn't belong to one) has uttered the phrase "unions have outlived their usefulness" I wouldn't care about working for a living because I'd have all the money I'd ever need. The simple and obvious fact is that unions are still needed (perhaps now more than ever) simply to maintain those gains have been fought for and earned by working people over the years. This notion that companies would continue to pay union wages and maintain the kind of health and safety standards that don't exist outside of union shops should they not be forced to through collective bargaining is beyond naive. If their feet weren't being held to the fire they'd like nothing more than for things to go back to being more like they were before unions existed.

This sounds like something I have heard over and over again aswell,,,,,,,

Give me, give me,then when they want some back,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think you get the pic here.

Whats the old saying,,,,,,,,

You made yer bed,now sleep in it.

As I have said many times,I have worked on bothsides.I,ll take the non, thanks.

We can argue about this til the cows come home.

Enough said.

Edited by misfish

Walmarts put my wife to work and my two daughters. They also put a couple of Disabled to work too. Theyre low prices also puts competition to the other retailers. They might of put a few family businesses out of commission, but they sure higher more employees. They also have a great fishing department. They are the only store in this city that I can buy CDs and Music DVDs