Coldwater Poachers Charged

NAW

Earlier this year, a coldwater man shot and killed a oos moose that was walking though his back yard. He and a friend shared the meat.

This week they where each charge nearly $5000.

Shooting a oos moose in (or neer) a town, and thinking you can get away with it is just ridiculous. Glad they got the BIG charge..

Here’s a question. From what I understand, the MNR can confiscate things you’ve used to aid you in poaching (trucks, trailers, gear, etc..) If you poaching on your property, can they take your land??

Maybe that's what you saw in the "back" yard Marty and not a deer... as there's one on our property as well.

Guys in Coldwater.. $4000 fine to the shooter... $700 fine to the friend that took meat !!

Does anyone have a link to the news article concerning this event?

I've googled the crap out of it.. can't find anything. Guy shot a Moose that was crossing his property in Coldwater and took it to the butchers. Shared a portion of the meat with his buddy. Radio reported $4000 fine to him and $700 fine to his buddy... there is no Moose season in this area !

obviously not too smart about it if he took it to the butchers. rightfully so they were charged. personally the MNR should look into the numbers and open a short hunt in the area, but then people are gonna complain when they dont get drawn for a tag, its lose lose.

Maybe that's what you saw in the "back" yard Marty and not a deer... as there's one on our property as well.

Guys in Coldwater.. $4000 fine to the shooter... $700 fine to the friend that took meat !!

On the radio this morning they said both got charge nearly $5000. I thought that was a pretty steep fine for the guy who just took some meat.. $700 makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying that Irishfeild..

Wednesday morning, the 25th, 155 COs gathered in a hotel on the Gaspe peninsula. It had taken them 2 years to build a case against a poaching ring. They had arrest warrants for 60 scumbags and at 6:30 am they did the knock knock thing simultaneously on residences and businesses. They were able to nab about 30 of them on that initial raid. The 400 charges they had against them totalled $625,000. in possible fines if they were all found guilty and maximum penalties (doubtful) were levied. They seized tons of moose, caribou, deer, fish etc.

Now this all sounds ok so far and it was as far as their work goes...they were out there and did their jobs. The thing that sticks in my craw is that they mobilized a lot of people for two years including legal work and hours and hours of legwork and the QMNR's resources to get a total of $625,000. that's IF they are all found guilty of all charges and charged the maximum fines. It just doesn't sound like enough. I know folks who earn that much sitting at home for 2 years.

Not trying to ambush the thread here.....just wondering if we're going in the right direction as efficiently as we can.

I have the press release but it's in French. I'll post it if I come across it in English.

Wednesday morning, the 25th, 155 COs gathered in a hotel on the Gaspe peninsula. It had taken them 2 years to build a case against a poaching ring. They had arrest warrants for 60 scumbags and at 6:30 am they did the knock knock thing simultaneously on residences and businesses. They were able to nab about 30 of them on that initial raid. The 400 charges they had against them totalled $625,000. in possible fines if they were all found guilty and maximum penalties (doubtful) were levied. They seized tons of moose, caribou, deer, fish etc.

Now this all sounds ok so far and it was as far as their work goes...they were out there and did their jobs. The thing that sticks in my craw is that they mobilized a lot of people for two years including legal work and hours and hours of legwork and the QMNR's resources to get a total of $625,000. that's IF they are all found guilty of all charges and charged the maximum fines. It just doesn't sound like enough. I know folks who earn that much sitting at home for 2 years.

Not trying to ambush the thread here.....just wondering if we're going in the right direction as efficiently as we can.

I have the press release but it's in French. I'll post it if I come across it in English.

would it be possible for you to post it in french as a new thread Roy? and add the english later on if you find it?

Here’s a question. From what I understand, the MNR can confiscate things you’ve used to aid you in poaching (trucks, trailers, gear, etc..) If you poaching on your property, can they take your land??

I could be wrong, but I have heard that if you are charged with a violation by the MNR and have property seized, if you go to court and pay whatever fines are imposed you sometimes will have your seized property returned to you. I guess it depends on the value of the property and the severity of the conviction.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that?