Picked up my first shotgun yesterday!

siwash

And I'm very excited about trying it out...

So, my question is, where can I go to just simple fire it? I bought a bunch of different shells and I'd like to get a feel for the gun.. A relative hunts out near Port Hope and we've fired off shells there for fun in the past but I was hoping to try somewhere closer to my neck of the woods... I am near Bass Pro (Vaughan). I'd like to stay within a 100km radius if I'm just going to shoot off some rounds... How about the Simcoe Forest? York Region Forest?

Any crown land or public lands in general that allow discharge of firearms. I checked the regs but its hard to find any specific spot. The WMU's are just big zones... doesn't tell you where to shoot specifically.

Thanks very much!

SF

Luckily, shotguns have a very limited range. You can shoot anywhere on public land as long as it's done safely. Better yet, look in the phone book for any shooting ranges near you. Ask for info in any hunting and fishing store.

Since you are going shooting, why not bring along some sheets of paper 30" x 30" and shoot at them from 30 yards. Use different chokes and different sized shot and different shot shell companies to see how your gun patterns. Avoid any shot shells that show big holes in the pattern.

Write down which shot shell gives you the best pattern when using shot for grouse and then do the same for ducks, geese, deer (buckshot or slug), pheasant, turkey etc.

Practice looking at where you want to shoot then quickly shoulder the gun to see if the sights line up with your line of sight.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything (and knowing very little about guns and where to shoot them in general), but seeing as you live near the Bass Pro, you could probably ask the staff for some good locations on where to test it out.

Ask Bass Pro staff a question? the only time I've received a satisfactory response to a question there was when I asked for directions to the bathroom...

Luckily, shotguns have a very limited range. You can shoot anywhere on public land as long as it's done safely. Better yet, look in the phone book for any shooting ranges near you. Ask for info in any hunting and fishing store.

Since you are going shooting, why not bring along some sheets of paper 30" x 30" and shoot at them from 30 yards. Use different chokes and different sized shot and different shot shell companies to see how your gun patterns. Avoid any shot shells that show big holes in the pattern.

Write down which shot shell gives you the best pattern when using shot for grouse and then do the same for ducks, geese, deer (buckshot or slug), pheasant, turkey etc.

Practice looking at where you want to shoot then quickly shoulder the gun to see if the sights line up with your line of sight.

This is exactly what I intend to do this weekned and beyond... I bought 4 different shells... I want to get a feel for everything... learn the patterns,etc...

ok, so any public lands? I guess I High Park would be an exception!! ;)

Hey swordfish, congratulations on your new shotgun.

It must be driving you nuts to try it out.

I go to the Oshawa Gun Club and shoot traps or slugs.

You can also shoot high powered rifles at up to 300 yds at their rifle range.

You just have to tell them you are interested in joining and would like

to shoot.

Check this out http://www.ontarioskeet.com/clubs/Oshawa.html

Hopefully it's not too far for you to travel.

I used to go to the Cold Creek Gun Club but it has been shut down like so

many others.

Be safe, have fun and good luck.

Stan

hahahhaha!! I live in a subdivision with 3000 homes!!!

I wish.. few neighbours are getting on my nerves ;)

I'm sure if you take a jaunt up the 400 to King Rd or even 88 you shouldn't have any problems finding places to fire off a few rounds.

I'm sure if you take a jaunt up the 400 to King Rd or even 88 you shouldn't have any problems finding places to fire off a few rounds.

There's a lot of private land between here and Barrie.. public land is a premium around here..

I wouldn't fire any shots in the Simcoe County Forrest right now, lot's of camo bow hunter out there. I shoot on private land, it's a little safer. Go ask framers from hwy 88 and up, they are pretty good farmers with lots of land that will let you set up a practice range for a few hours. There is a range in Stoney creek, Silverdale, $20 for the day.

any annoying dogs or cats in the neiborhood? just kidding of course, its alot different from here. i would look towards barrie like others have suggested. who knows it might lead to hunting land in the future if you impress the farmer enough. if you want to go for a road trip you can always come down to blue creek here in southern ohio and shoot till your barrel melts down. lol

jason

try scaboro rod and gun club.....you dont have to be a member and they are very cool out there....located on the 4rth line north of bloomington on the west side......by far one of the better clubs out there....we used to shoot trap and skeet there......then they installed a sporting clay course.....well...it was nothing to go thru 300 to 500 rounds in one day.....

where you go play safe!!!!

Initially I think you are going to find wing shooting a very humbling experience. Your best bet would be to go to a gun club, the guys are very good there for the most part and you would learn more in a couple of visits than you would in many frustrating attempts at learning on your own. At the very least, try to find a mentor that has experience, the learning curve will not be as steep.

Initially I think you are going to find wing shooting a very humbling experience. Your best bet would be to go to a gun club, the guys are very good there for the most part and you would learn more in a couple of visits than you would in many frustrating attempts at learning on your own. At the very least, try to find a mentor that has experience, the learning curve will not be as steep.

I have several relatives that hunt. I have fired off guns before. Nevertheless, I am a total newbie and have not shot anything yet. I might consider the Scarboro gun club that someone suggested here...

As I said earlier I just want to get a feel for the gun while it's being fired...

Thanks guys... I appreciate all your input!!

You are more then welcome to bring you're gun here and shoot in my backyard (2+ acres) .. I live in the boonies and nothing but fields and bush surround me (all the corn has been cut down).. people are shooting all the time in my neck of the woods I hear them daily. might be a bit more then 100kms though... I am 20mins south of Hamilton. send me a pm if interested.

G.