North Huron Steelhead ~ A Day On The River

solopaddler

Yeah, what about guide/line freeze up gels and pastes? I see Frabil sells a product for ice fishing. Anybody use it for steelheading or ice fishing, and how well does it work? I'd like to pick something up to try before things are freezing and I'm having so suck the ice off every 15minutes or so. What do you use? Is vaseline, pretty good?

I feel for you my friend.

If you're lucky and the weather holds we'll pay her a visit when you're here in December.

Thanks once again everyone. :)

The weather will hold I think.

Mike, that was without a doubt some of your finest writing. THat was a great description of a quintessential fall steelheading trip. Excellent work, my friend. In fact, if you don't mind, I'd like to conserve it on my blog - with special mention of course.

Thanks for making me look (and sound) good, too. Laird knows dat airn't easy! Whut a hat! :lol:

p.-

very nice fish mike, oh i was wondering what it cost for a licence to fish the states wanna go there soon

cheers

I paid $42 US for a michigan license for all species.

Not sure about the other states but I bought mine online.....http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

Great report Solo....Looked like an awesome day! Wish I was there!!!

I always look forward to your trib reports!

TDunn

Yeah, what about guide/line freeze up gels and pastes? I see Frabil sells a product for ice fishing. Anybody use it for steelheading or ice fishing, and how well does it work? I'd like to pick something up to try before things are freezing and I'm having so suck the ice off every 15minutes or so. What do you use? Is vaseline, pretty good?

Well first off I build my rods with larger guides, that helps a lot.

When it's really cold there's a product called Stanleys Ice Off Paste that works pretty well.

Nothing is foolproof though when it gets that cold.

The weather will hold I think.

Mike, that was without a doubt some of your finest writing. THat was a great description of a quintessential fall steelheading trip. Excellent work, my friend. In fact, if you don't mind, I'd like to conserve it on my blog - with special mention of course.

Thanks for making me look (and sound) good, too. Laird knows dat airn't easy! Whut a hat! :lol:

p.-

Geez buddy coming from you that's some heady praise. :blush:

Feel free to immortalize me any way you like. :)

My finest writing? I had both kids today, sat down at noon and whipped it off in about an hour.

Maybe I should put a little more effort into it LOL!

Once again thanks everyone for the kind words.

Edited by solopaddler

Was it seriously that cold? Most of the pics, Mike and Paul are just wearing ballcaps and several they have no gloves?

It was in the morning :) Forgot my gloves, once my hands got cold that was it.

Went out the next day and got some nice ones from Marks Work Wearhouse... No more cold hands for me!

I was excited to get the rod back also, lol

Fished the Notty later that day, did ok.

Amazing pictures and a well written story.

Solo have you ever considered taking a fly or spey outfit so that the guys with pins at least had a chance against you, also making it more challenging for you.

Thanks for taking time to share your trip moments.

Edited by efka

My finest writing? I had both kids today, sat down at noon and whipped it off in about an hour.

Maybe I should put a little more effort into it LOL!

Once again thanks everyone for the kind words.

Sometimes it's the first inspiration that is the finest. Too much editing after that, or too much hankering after the "perfect" word can dilute the feeling that made you write in the first place, thereby diluting the writing itself. Romanticism, 19th century stuff: writing for the love of writing. Of course, if your editing is inspired, then the final product will be that much better (imagism). But this is very often unnecessary. Use the force, dood!

Regardless, I've read it over three times already, because I can't help it. That's how good it is.

Turning out the lights now. Good luck tomorrow. We'll share reports!

p.-

Just a super picture essay, Mike. Yanno, when I read your report threads now, I kinda get the Rudyard Kipling feeling....ole Ruddy didn't fish did he?

Great thread Mike and thanks for putting it together for us.

Like always Mike, when I log on the first thing I look for is to see I you have a post up, thank you once again for brightening my day up.

Again, I can not go out but through you I still get my chrome fix, okay maybe not a fix just a adiction fix :)

Oh the basement is almost done and I will be back out chasing soon, last two years it was the damn knee and this year the basement but soon :)

FLEX

Very nicely written there Mike, reminds me of a Field and Stream type article written by the Marlboro Man. :D

What i noticed when reading the post, was the depth of information to be gleaned. By paying attention to the details and putting out that physical effort needed, you found success.

Very nice :Gonefishing:

There is so many fish that day one swam through your legs, just noticed.

xB050022.jpg

Very nicely written there Mike, reminds me of a Field and Stream type article written by the Marlboro Man. :D

What i noticed when reading the post, was the depth of information to be gleaned. By paying attention to the details and putting out that physical effort needed, you found success.

Very nice :Gonefishing:

There is so many fish that day one swam through your legs, just noticed.

Thanks Erik, but the Marlboro Man? :lol:

I didn't notice the fish between my legs either LOL!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks Erik, but the Marlboro Man? :lol:

I didn't notice the fish between my legs either LOL!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

what was that all about? How could a Steelhead just be swimming between your legs like that? lol,..I have had that happen with nooks when a school is running up,..almost knocked me on my Butt,....but that fish looks like a puppy waiting to get petted,..lol,..whats the story?

If you ever see Mike walking to the river.. you'll notice he has a hard sided 6 pack cooler with him. It contains his Pet fish... it swims out and finds some bigger cousins for Mike to play with.

Right on the cooler, but no fish just a 6 pack. :)

Truth be told these were the photos that were lost when my picture file vanished.

Paul somehow managed to retrieve these ones, but still half of them were lost.

They weren't in any order and it was difficult to insert them chronologicaly for my story.

The pic with the fish between my legs is the same 2 fish from the earlier double header I'd chronicled.

Easy mistake to make...these darn fish all look alike. :lol: