Boots

misfish

I still like me green rubbers the best!

S.

i have to agree, they dont leave sent on the ground like leathers,

as for the heat it would be a great idea misfish, last week i had trouble getting out of the stand my feet were so cold i had problems feeling the ladder to get down and using a gorrilla stick ladder isnt the easiest to start with

those boots sound hi tech, pretty nice looking too. id wear them, but this fall I picked up these ones. I wore them for hours sitting in a tree stand, nice and warm. and yesterday fishing, I stood in about 3 ,4 ,5 inches if water for a couple hours..dry and warm I was.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5004000_475-4-0

Misfish,

I would first look at keeping my feet dry, as feet perspire and that then gets absorbed by the socks that is what starts the problem, I use to teach and race down hill skiing and I do speak from experience.

What I would try is 1. under arm deodorant to stop or reduce the sweating 2. I use to use foot powder or baby powder to absorb the rest then a good pair of socks and then a good pair of boots.

Over the years I have bought many things from Cabelas specifically the private label and that is what I would be looking at in your situation as the return policy is great.

Good luck,

FLEX

Hey Brian,

I was looking into boots too and saw a pair of rubber insulated Redhead boots at BPS website that indicated 16" and 2000 grams of thinsulate. I would figure that would be sufficient for most outings. The boot that you indicated only had 200 grams of insulation and a battery that would last 3 to 8 hours, I would consider using the lower numbered time for the basis of reference as rechargeable batteries don't tend to last and the cold would make it last even less. Then you only have 200 grams of insulation once the battery goes.

Anyways, I saw some Columbia boots at the Shoe Company yesterday but I wasn't looking for that model of boot. You might want to give them a call. BTW the website you provided only had limited sizes for that boot. I hope you noticed that.

Good luck,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

All you's really need is PURE WOOL socks!!!! Merino wool if you can find it. Learn to knit, its worth it in the winter!!!! Better yet, find yerselves a good woman who will knit them for ya!!!

My green rubbers, ONE pair of wool socks, a pair of wool mitts, a wool toque, and a nice thick wool sweater, and I'm all set. Bring on the cold!!

S.

One of the guys at deer camp had a pair of boots I think were called NATS. They felt like foam but they were tall and waterproof just like a rubber boot and only weighed 1 pound each. They had liners in them and the box said -90C rating. He says they are the warmest boots he has ever had.

I agree with the others.....lots of money for nothing. 200 grams of thinsulate is okay for hunting in the early fall but for cold weather....these boots won't help. It's not the ball of the foot that gets cold but the toes and the heel.

If a person is sitting....why not something really big and insulated to put over the boots. It doesn't need to be robust nor water proof nor heavy....just lots of insulation that goes up to the knees. You could even untighten the boot so the blood will circulate better.

When icefishing, I use size 12 boots rated for -84. I usually wear size 10. The 2 extra sizes allows me to add a thick airy insulated sole under the bootie inside the boots and to add a pair of extremely thick high quality wool socks over my other socks.

I do not make the mistake of wearing the boots while driving to where I am going fishing. I also limit my walking distance to under 1 mile....lol. The boots go almost up to my knees and have 2 adjustable nylon straps so the boots don't fall off my feet. The super thick sole, the insole and the thick bootie makes me about 2 to 3 inches taller but that means that I'm close to 3 inches off the ice. I can move my toes as if I was sitting at home watching t.v. I paid 70 dollars for the boots at WalMart about 6 years ago.

I am diabetic so the circulation in my feet is not as efficient as it once was and I can't endure cold weather as well as before. I've never had to resort to using electric heating or hot packs yet. However, I do bring along some hot packs in case.

Good point.....I forgot to say.

ALWAYS add the extra felt liner to the soles of your boots. I put in the felt insole, then my liner, then one pair of good wool socks.

Oversize is the way to go. Its the airspace in your boots that keep your feet warm. Tight boots = cold feet for sure.

S.