Pledge of the ethical angler..

bigfish1965

A little pledge. I hope some of you agree and perhaps pass this along to others. Feel free to add more passages.

I pledge to be an ethical angler. I will be an ambassador for my sport. I will leave my fishing area in better shape then when I first encountered it. I will use sound harvest practices based on sustainable resource conservation. I will not take more than I need. I will respect private property and ask permission when it is needed.

I will follow all the laws that pertain to angling and safe operation of my watercraft. I understand my obligation to future generations in protecting the environment and protecting my right to fish.

I will encourage the young people in my life to participate in fishing and show them what it means to be an ethical angler. I will politely encourage those around me to follow these same principles. I understand my duty to try and prevent poachers and those who would do harm by reporting offenders to authorities when possible. Above it all I will enjoy myself and remember that fishing is much more than catching a fish.

Thanks..I just spit coffee on my new keyboard. I'll send you the bill. Still laughing my butt off! You are funny!

Sorry!! I read it wrong the first time...hehe. :D

Oh yeah...about the bill, how about I send you the keyboard I have at home. It had coffee spilled in it the other day...most of the keys work....except the shift lock, tab and the "a" key.....

I will go with the pledge but i am pretty sure that we have to do more than report the poachers to the declining authorities... Maybe show them what life like a fish is like, maybe put them in the water and try to snag em with i dont know 8 rods between two people... ;)

I pledge to be an ethical angler. I have always had a great love for our great Canadian spaces, and in the past have contributed time to the plant trees in the rouge project, and garbage pick up for Bowmanville creek.

What bothers me is we dont have enough signs reminding people to pick up their garbage, and of course not enough enforcement. I cringe every time I see garbage and Im compelled to pick it up. Specially near fragile environments like our rivers and streams.

Great post Rick!!!!

Niether a snagger nor a poacher be

Lest the gods of the deep take the lunkers from thee

When yer out on the water with a worm on yer hook

Let the denisons give it at least one long look

May the Trout in the River and the Bass in the sea

be your quest for the passion not just for a meal

And may you save for the next guy the joys you have found

So that when your children grow up itll still be around

There .. thats my poem/pledge for the year :)

I wish all fisherpeople would take this pledge. I will take a picture in the spring of the 4 or 5 foot width of debris that will wash up on my beach in the spring from the icefishing. Timmies cups, plastic bags and bottles,wood blocks for the shacks and many other items that I cant mention here. Gross! But I did score 2 sheets of top notch 3/4 inch plywood that used to be a floor of a frozen in shack floor last year.