Milestone Day...NF

pigeonfisher

Well,

As part of the new fitness deal that this year has brought me I started running about 4 months ago, more seriously in the past couple of months.

I ran a 10k today in 57 minutes. When I was finished I did the stairs at the gym to prove to myself that I wasn't beat!

I am "training" for a 1/2 marathon in March.

Started the year at +/- 260lbs. Current cruising weight is 195, rolling towards 185.

It's been a fun year.

Thought I would share in case anyone out there is looking for a "if he can do it, I can do it" moment.

Other than that, Cooper is in School here now, Carson is learning to speak (at over 2 years old) after battling serious ear infections for his first 2 years and Callum is trying out real food. I asked Kristi if we could start him on chicken wings, but I lost.

I am still checking in all the time. As you all run into over the years, I just don't have much to offer on a day to day basis anymore.

That's fantastic Steve, good for you. I also run now and can go much further and faster than when I started aswell. I ended up losing 28 lbs so far. I don't want to lose anymore so I'll just stick where I am and keep my fitness level up for health purposes.

Glad to hear all the kids are okay. Don't know why you can't start the young one on chicken wings yet, aren't they a staple in your house :lol:

Joey

Mike,

I started with a run/walk program where I would run for one minute (10km per hour pace) then walk for one minute (7km per hour pace). On a weekly basis I would increase my intervals, two minutes running vs. one walking. Then three minutes running vs. two minutes walking. The goal for that program is to have you doing two sessions of running for 10 minutes while breaking for 1 minute at the end of the program.

If can offer any advice at all, go to a proper running store where they will watch you run/walk and help you choose a pair of shoes that work best with your gait and footprint. That day made such a dramatic impact for me as I no longer had pain when I ran.

Although I am by no means an expert, Mike. If you have other questions I can help to point you in the right direction.

Way to go!

I've ran a half marathon once before. I wasn't too over weight but the training and the race itself got me from 195lbs down to 177lbs and I've kept that weight ever since. The race was 3 years ago and it was the Scotiabank Toronto Lakeshore Marathon.

The race day itself is something to remember for the rest of your life. You'll be pumped...trust me. Just remember to pace yourself and not let the hype make you run way to fast and hurt yourself.

Some of the best things I've ever done in my life that brought huge rewards are:

1) Quit Smoking

2) Start Running

3) Learn To Cook Tasty FRESH Meals

Oh...can't forget spending time in the outdoors!!!