My First Brown Trout!

The Urban Fisherman

Quick report folks... after work yesterday a buddy and I decided to fish for 45 minutes or so before he had to make the long drive back to his house. (he lives 3 hours away) So off we went for a quick session. He picks up a an X-Rap (Mercer's Magic to be exact) and starts throwing it for big fall Bass - had a couple of solid followers, but the mid-sized fish were aggressive and kept flying in and scooping up the bait first....

DSCF1550.jpg

I pick myself up a micro rapala crank bait, and say " I'm just going to throw this because I've never caught a brown trout before, in-fact, I've never even seen a brown trout caught in this lake before."

So I wind up, let her rip, and a few seconds into my retrieve on my FIRST CAST a nice shadow comes flying out after it, smashes my bait, goes airborn - and wouldn't you freakin know it, it's a nice little brown! :lol: My buddy lost it laughing, then I told him to smarten up and help me land my prized fish!

DSCF1553.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1556.jpg

Then my buddy decides to prove that browns like the Magic also! ( so much for not seeing them in that lake before )

I kind of missed the boat on his fish's picture... it's the brownish blob you see swimming off...

DSCF1558.jpg

That was enough for us!

Not a bad 45 minutes on the water! My first ever brown, and obviously my PB.

Have a good friday - and enjoy your weekends!

Cheers,

Ryan

Very nice fish. When I was younger, back in 74/75, I worked seasonally at Long Point Prov. Park and the Waterfowl Management Unit , lived in Port Rowan and got into some there and a few creeks very near to that spot. Now that I've just retired maybe a trip back there should go on my to do list. Getting a nice brown like that always was a thrill after the more usual fare of put and take Bows and the occasional Speck.