Should We Make A Change

laszlo

I understand the fear of abusers, but in the end, not naming it on OFC probably isn't going to make a big difference.

I like the idea of knowing what body of water certain fish are caught in. In fact, I'm still relatively new in Canada and this board has been a big help.

I think too it's important that if I want to disclose a body of water I fish on that i should be able to.

For instance, I posted a report about Long Lake in Apsley a few weeks ago. Got a message from another member on here about how they went canoeing there after reading my report, caught some fish and had a great day. That's one of the great features about this board.

That being said, I'm not going to give you the GPS coordinates of where I caught the fish, or the exact structure I was fishing or anything like that. I'm also not willing to give up the smaller water I fish and the honey holes that are on it where I know I can catch fish most of the time.

(I have found it hilarious to see guys post pics, especially of carp, and photoshop the background out, I know why they do it, but still cracks me up)

Just my .02, not trying to give you a hard time...

After reading everyones responses, it seems most find it important to have the right to reveal fishing locations and or bodies of water.

I thought some may have felt the same as myself but clearly not. Naturally I respect everyones opinion.

Thanks

Laz

Edited by laszlo

well if I can't name your lake

then you can't name my lake

so I don't want to ever see lake simcoe named again...there is enough traffic there without naming it because it's big

just say something like I parked in Jackson Point to hit a local lake....there no name of a lake

or the parking lot in Keswick was full but I did find a place to park the truck then I went out and had a great day catching jumbo perch on Lake X

I live in a region that is littered with small lakes. Yes, when a lake is good, the word does get around and the fishing pressure increases. However, after a while, the fishing is not so good and the lake is no longer as popular and the fish in the lake are left alone for a few years. Then, the fishing gets good again. It's impossible to catch all the fish in a lake. My best fishing spots are close to town. They are usually hard to fish and maybe the number of fish is low but the fish are much larger on the average. Sure, there are people who see me fishing in one of these lakes and this attracts fishermen but then there is always the fact that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. Keeping a spot really secret means that no one....not even your best buddy or brother or anyone else in the family knows where you are fishing. That's pretty hard to do.

When I refer to the Thames I'm talking about water that may be only 15' wide in spots and seldom deeper than 2', but it runs for many many miles through a lot of towns and even counties. It's not too hard to figure out the spots that are popular by the trampled grass on the shoreline but even shorefishing is often not an option. The nettles and now that poisonous stuff (sow weed?) are pretty good deterrents to all but the most hard core.

Frankly the spots I like are generally only accessible to waders and I haven't seen many folks on the Thames willing to wet their dainty toes, so even if I spilled the beans (no offense, Beans) it probably wouldn't hurt the spot much. All I have to do is to remember to mention the snapping turkles and the humongous leechs to keep most waders away. :P

The few good secrets I have shared have resulted in pretty happy fisherpersons, which I like to see. In fact in several cases they proved the site was even better than I'd thought, which gave me added enthusiasm to get back there and try it again, or try it diferently.

Obviously I don't agree that we need to be more secretive generally, but I can sympathize with the folks who want to protect their good spots in the busier urban areas. It's hard, even impossible, to satisfy everyone all the time.

I for one like the little hints that get thrown out. It makes me more aware as I'm travelling through new areas. I'm always wondering if that's the bridge so and so caught all those fish under.

JF

When I refer to the Thames I'm talking about water that may be only 15' wide in spots and seldom deeper than 2', but it runs for many many miles through a lot of towns and even counties. It's not too hard to figure out the spots that are popular by the trampled grass on the shoreline but even shorefishing is often not an option. The nettles and now that poisonous stuff (sow weed?) are pretty good deterrents to all but the most hard core.

Frankly the spots I like are generally only accessible to waders and I haven't seen many folks on the Thames willing to wet their dainty toes, so even if I spilled the beans (no offense, Beans) it probably wouldn't hurt the spot much. All I have to do is to remember to mention the snapping turkles and the humongous leechs to keep most waders away. :P

The few good secrets I have shared have resulted in pretty happy fisherpersons, which I like to see. In fact in several cases they proved the site was even better than I'd thought, which gave me added enthusiasm to get back there and try it again, or try it diferently.

Obviously I don't agree that we need to be more secretive generally, but I can sympathize with the folks who want to protect their good spots in the busier urban areas. It's hard, even impossible, to satisfy everyone all the time.

I for one like the little hints that get thrown out. It makes me more aware as I'm travelling through new areas. I'm always wondering if that's the bridge so and so caught all those fish under.

JF

I don't think anyone here really wants to vie for your baby fish Bubba. :rolleyes:

For me this whole issue is a catch 22 situation. I live in Toronto, and fish both around Lake Ontario, but also quite a bit on Georgian Bay and the North Bay region. I find it extremely annoying when people post fishing reports and neglect to say where abouts they were fishing. How do we know that these fish were even caught in Ontario? At least give us a region or something.. it makes the repots a lot more interesting. But on the other hand I do understand that blurring out backgrounds and not being too specific with urban spots is probably the right thing to do. I've noticed a lot of new people at some of the GTA spots that I fish in the last year or two, and in talking to them I realized they were lurkers that picked up information by snooping on forums like this one. They jacked the spots off the internet, and even used lures that they saw in the photos that were posted on fishing boards. I feel that if I had to spend a few years doing legwork on spots and productive lures, so should they. Anyways, this isn't really that big of an issue to me anymore, becasue I have a boat, and rarely shore fish around Toronto anymore, but I still do feel for the shore anglers that have to compete for a few good spots.

I just stumbled upon this board and I am so glad to be a member, you guys are just the best, what with all your fishing kung fu and all. Now that I am in, don't let anyone else in, or they will ruin the sportfishery once and for all. Nobody talking about catching fish anywhere, and I mean it.

Let's get Godwin's law happening, we are a little slow this time.

I just stumbled upon this board and I am so glad to be a member, you guys are just the best, what with all your fishing kung fu and all. Now that I am in, don't let anyone else in, or they will ruin the sportfishery once and for all. Nobody talking about catching fish anywhere, and I mean it.

Fishing kung fu?

:lol:

That was very funny Douglas.

Since Im not all that smart,I looked it up,,,,

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)[1] is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3]

Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread reductio ad Hitlerum form. The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued,[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[5] the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion: electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, and more recently blog comment threads, wiki talk pages, and Twitter.

I think I understand. :clapping:

Sorry i got on this one a little late. I don't think its all that big a deal to post a general area like some others have already mentioned. However posting a specific spot where the fishing is very good or the fish are vulnerable to over fishing its never good. I personally think that generally the type of anglers that are going to try a specific spot because they heard it was good or because so and so on the internet catches lots there all the time are the type of angler that are going to be easily discouraged because they don't have a clue what they are doing in the first place. Anyways just a couple of my thoughts....