Don't Eat Hamilton Fish

craigdritchie

I fished pier 4 a couple weeks ago. I did see quite a bit of scum literally glowing underwater.

At the fish-in that weekend, I vividly remember someone telling me that the blue-green algae is Earth's home grown version of kryptonite. Swimming in it will give you super human strength :D

Or diarrhea :o

I fished pier 4 a couple weeks ago. I did see quite a bit of scum literally glowing underwater.

At the fish-in that weekend, I vividly remember someone telling me that the blue-green algae is Earth's home grown version of kryptonite. Swimming in it will give you super human strength :D

Or diarrhea :o

Now thats a bonified knee slapper :clapping:

After putting a minute of thought to this ...if we could convince a pharmaceutical company to make a vaccine out of the algae i bet it would prevent diarrhea and clean up the water to the point they could shut down the water treatment plants...

Since when does the algae affect eating the fish?

We have lakes here with it and still eat the walleyes. We only stop fishing when the smell on the lake gets too bad to tolerate while fishing

If it is just algae then normally it is not a problem.

Cyanobacteria is not algae, it is a bacteria. It has a blue/green colour because it respires via photosynthesis. The byproducts produced include toxic substances.

Have battled it in the fish tanks before....

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

There is an algae bloom like this every year, this year it seems to be later in the season.

Doesn't Lake O experience a similar bloom each summer? I can remember from past years reading about it and the drinking/tap water would have a distinct odour and an off taste too. Funny thing would be that the "experts" always said the water was fine for drinking, no problems, the water treatment plants just haven't had a chance to top up the chlorine content! LOL Probably still does happens in the summer but they have learned to increase the chlorine before it gets noticed, don't know if it was blue green algae or a different type though.