Thought I would post this and see - you never know. NF

Harrison

As I drove from the Ajax/Pickering hospital back to Bowmanville after visiting my father who is unfortunately not going to be around too much longer, I was thinking about some of the great memories I have of him.

As a fireman I have heard many stories about his bravery and courage in the line of duty from his fellow firefighters.

However, a story of courage sticks in my mind as I actually witnessed it. I thought I would post it here because it is relative to fishing and thought maybe, just maybe it would give someone the opportunity to say thank you to someone they might never meet.

I can’t remember the exact year, but it was around 1990. I was a teenager (around 15) and my brother was a couple years younger. My father used to drive us to Duffins Creek to fish steelhead in the spring. He wasn’t a die hard river fisherman, but he introduced it to us and we took it from there. He would sit and watch us for hours and enjoyed rubbing it in older, seasoned anglers faces when his kids would bank a fish in front of them. Just his sense of humor, anything for a laugh.

On this day we were fishing the run below the dam on Duffins off of Church St in Ajax. The water was high and flowing fast. The dam area is dangerous when the water is low, let alone high and fast. There has been more then a few drownings there because of the serious undertow from the falls. One I remember was a couple weeks earlier in the same spot a man passed away after going in after his dog went over the falls and they were found a couple miles down stream.

We had been there for a couple hours when a couple kids showed up to watch the fish jump the dam. There had to be 10 – 15 people there doing the same. For some reason they climbed onto the lamprey trap on the east side of the creek. We decided to join the group and watch the fish jump after no action for the couple hours we were there.

I can’t remember exactly why, I believe he was going after a lure stuck in the trap, but one of the kids lost his balance and fell into the creek, over the falls and sucked into the undertow. He was instantly in trouble, coming to the surface for 5 seconds, then sucked under again for 10seconds, on and on. Men were yelling “Swim” when he would surface, his arms waving, screeching for help, he was helpless, absolutely helpless. I recall thinking I was watching someone die. Then my Dad took his coat off and my brother and I went into hysterics, balling, holding him back, and grabbing his back pockets as he dragged us along to the river edge. Throwing us off he entered the water above the falls and crept along till he hit the falls, you could see him struggle with all his mite to hold himself from being blown over the falls himself. The kid now was not yelling or moving at all, his head was tilted back as he gasped for air - then sucked back under again. My Dad was trying to reach him while yelling at him to swim. He couldn’t reach him.

At this time the other kid had taken off somewhere. My brother and I were a mess yelling at my Dad to come back to the bank.

My Dad then fought the current and dredged upstream to a spot where a small maple tree had eroded half out of the bank from the high water. He ripped the tree out of the ground and brought it over to edge of the falls. As he balanced on the edge he put the tree where the boy should surface, when he did he yelled at him to grab the tree. Somehow the boy had the energy and latched on. My Dad somehow dragged him close to the shore where 3 bystanders were able to grab the boy.

My Dad, not out of danger, made his way back to shore where he collapsed.

I am having trouble remembering but I believe the other kid took off to one of their houses and returned with someone’s parents just as my Dad got him out.

Literally all I remember was a quick thank you to my Dad from across the creek as they rushed to kid off (probably to the hospital).

As I think about this it still gives me the shivers. My Dad has never brought this up and every time I or my brother does, he simply shruges it off.

So, I thought it I would post this story on here with the hopes the kid (who would probably be about 28 -30 now) or a friend or witness is still a fisherman would read this. It would be a chance for them to thank the man who saved their life; I know I would want to if I had the chance. It would also maybe cheer up a man who days are limited to meet you.

If not, it is a story that I am proud to share anyways.

PM or email me at [email protected] if you’d like,

Phil

Edited by Harrison

Man thats a tough call........watching someone elses kid in turmoil and ya gotta save him........but also looking back at your own kids knowing your about to put yourself in danger of leaving them for good. Yikes. no training in the world to prepare ya for that kind of decision making

Great story! Your dad is a very brave man.... You mentioned that you are a fireman, did this act of heroism have something to do with your career choice? I know most fathers here would say that they would react the same if they were in the same shoes ( i know I would) but to have to decided in the short time that he did should be commended. I hope this story finds the boy, well man now, so he can thank the Hero that saved his life.

Nick

You mentioned that you are a fireman, did this act of heroism have something to do with your career choice?

Hi Nick, sorry it was a long day and late at night when I wrote this, he was the fireman. Retired now. I did however choose to become a firefighter only to be knocked out of the competition for a binocular eye condition. I am 100% positive I tried that career because of my dad.

Edited by Harrison

My uncle used to take me to that same spot when I was a kid to watch the salmon jumping at that weir. Last time I took a walk there (a couple years ago), there were fences around it to prevent people from going into a situation like what you described.

A great story Harrison and an amazing thing your dad did for that kid. I’ve only seen the odd person take a spill into a river, sometimes they’d walk into a deep hole and float down river a few meters or so till they got to the shallow tail-out. Even saw kids get pulled in by large salmon and carp but never had to witness or help out someone in the midst of drowning – Hope I never have to.

Thanks for sharing

Great read Harrison. We must have crossed paths in those years on the creek. I'm the same age as you, and I spent ALL my spare time on that creek fishing. I remember the guy who went in after his dog.......as well as a couple others.

Good thing your dad did. I hope you find the guy.

S.