Forum Boards - NF

LucG

It seems there are more and more forum boards being created every day. They offer alot of good info and usually are specialized to a certain crowds/groups. What other boards do you post on?

I have these ones in my favorite folder:

www.ofncommunity.com - Fishing

www.fordrangerforum.com - Ford Ranger Trucks

www.mudhole.ca - ATV

www.can-amtalk.com - Can-Am ATV

www.trapper.ca - Canadian Trapping

www.coyotesrus.proboards.com/index.cgi? - US Trapping

Edited by LucG

I was a regular on rec.scuba (unmoderated) for years. Unfortunately it kind of imploded recently as diving issues had been done to death and guns and politics became the hot topics. The opinionated regulars (me included) let their enthusiasm run away with their judgment and ruined it for the lurkers and passersby. It's a shame because over the years many divers, both neophyte and accomplished, found it to be an amazing resource. As well I made some good friendships there that evolved into dive g2g's not unlike what we see here on OFC. Unfortunately the non-diving issues were in the end more important than some of the friendships and it's gotten to be a very nasty place for the very few who still bother going there. There was a time when it was considered by many to be the very best of the genre. Certainly it attracted some of the biggest names in diving from time to time, and some of the regulars were impressively knowledgable and more than willing to share. For an analogy picture Solopaddler or one of our resident tv personalities as a pistol packin' rabid Second Amendment supporter/right wing extremist. :P

Incidentally, that's why it's good to avoid being too confrontational here on OFC. As selfishly entertaining as it can be sometimes, it can also be pretty destructive to the group if it's allowed to go on.

We're lucky here in OFC not to be anywhere near the implosion level - yet. In fact we're far from it. We get close on the occasional thread but the cooler heads (called mods) usually step in on time and douse the flames.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a self-righteous boob but whenever I see arguments getting heated here I think of how great rec.scuba once was and how much we'd all hate to see this forum go the same route.

JF

I was a regular on rec.scuba (unmoderated) for years. Unfortunately it kind of imploded recently as diving issues had been done to death and guns and politics became the hot topics. The opinionated regulars (me included) let their enthusiasm run away with their judgment and ruined it for the lurkers and passersby. It's a shame because over the years many divers, both neophyte and accomplished, found it to be an amazing resource. As well I made some good friendships there that evolved into dive g2g's not unlike what we see here on OFC. Unfortunately the non-diving issues were in the end more important than some of the friendships and it's gotten to be a very nasty place for the very few who still bother going there. There was a time when it was considered by many to be the very best of the genre. Certainly it attracted some of the biggest names in diving from time to time, and some of the regulars were impressively knowledgable and more than willing to share. For an analogy picture Solopaddler or one of our resident tv personalities as a pistol packin' rabid Second Amendment supporter/right wing extremist. :P

Incidentally, that's why it's good to avoid being too confrontational here on OFC. As selfishly entertaining as it can be sometimes, it can also be pretty destructive to the group if it's allowed to go on.

We're lucky here in OFC not to be anywhere near the implosion level - yet. In fact we're far from it. We get close on the occasional thread but the cooler heads (called mods) usually step in on time and douse the flames.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a self-righteous boob but whenever I see arguments getting heated here I think of how great rec.scuba once was and how much we'd all hate to see this forum go the same route.

JF

We have seen other sites do the same thing. It is a difficult balancing act...if we jump too soon we're censors, if we move too slow we are permitting abuse and anarchy.

Fortunately we've all been on the net for many years and we usually can spot a thread about to tank quite early. We have a 'mod only' board were we let each other know what is going on and what we are watching for signs of trouble.

I've been involved in the developments of dozens of sites, but not seen a group like this anywhere. The members here are top notch. Yeah even the ones like Dawg. :P

I visited and fished at Galveston Texas last year. I met a few locals and did some kayak flats fishing for Redfish. They told me about the local fishing website that they frequented. When I got home I checked it out and still drop in regularly to see what's going on.

www.2coolfishing.com

Anybody hear about the 3 Texas fishermen who were recently lost at sea for 9 days with their 23 foot Sea Chaser catamaran style boat. I happened upon a thread on that site about these guys. I followed the thread for the whole time they were missing. I couldn't believe how the members of 2cool came together to aid in the search for the three. They informed all commercial air and marine traffic of the missing fishermen, arranged their own searches (over and above what the US Coastguard was doing). They chartered search planes, and even raised funds in a trust fund to pay for fuel for the planes and boats. What a community they are!!

By the way the 3 guys were rescued 180 nautical miles off shore 9 days after they left shore for an overnight sailfishing excursion. They were found by a local car dealer out fishing for sailfish on his 47 foot sport yacht. He had been fishing in Louisiana and was unaware of the missing boaters and just happened to sea them bobbing on the horizon. They were about 100 nautical miles northeast of where their boat had taken on water and flipped over 8 days prior. They clung to the hull, living on chips,crackers and 30 gallons of fresh water in the washdown tank of their vessel. They used the washdown hose as a straw and drank from the tank while sitting on the hull. :blahblah1:

Anyway that's the only other fishing forum I frequent.

Jack.

We have seen other sites do the same thing. It is a difficult balancing act...if we jump too soon we're censors, if we move too slow we are permitting abuse and anarchy.

Fortunately we've all been on the net for many years and we usually can spot a thread about to tank quite early. We have a 'mod only' board were we let each other know what is going on and what we are watching for signs of trouble.

I've been involved in the developments of dozens of sites, but not seen a group like this anywhere. The members here are top notch. Yeah even the ones like Dawg. :P

You're right. It's a better than average group despite it's size. I've been dickin' around the 'net since '94 and it's apparent to me that unmoderated groups are not likely to survive, unless it's a nuns' group or somesuch, and I suspect even a bunch of nuns would need some moderating at times.

I've been on dive forums, albeit briefly, that were run by total jerkoffs. I was givena short ban from a slightly popular (well attended at least) one based in Florida for politely (seriously, I wuz a very good boy) questioning the chief moderator's right to edit the words in my posts. I wasn't using nasty language or anything, but he deemed a comment of mine to be bigoted when it was anything but. And my complaint was made privately, not on the forum. Of course, once |'d served my sentence I logged on one more time to express my disdain for the jackass. I suspect my post didn't last long but I never went back to check.

The mods on this forum are using very good judgment in my humble opinion, despite the fact that I've had a number of threads locked (none of my own at least) while I was typing a brilliant contribution. That may be the real reason I've kept my nose relatively clean here - so thanks for that. :lol:

I hope everyone here realizes how tough it can be to tread the mod line. I'm sure there have been plenty of times when each of you were itching to jump into the fray, but had to pretend to be grownups instead. That must really suck. I'd sure hate to have to act like a grownup here. I get enuf of that at the office. :P

Yer all doin' fine. Keep up the good work.

JF

www.joesoldlures.com

f150online.com

flytyeronline.com

wvangler.com

OFC

that's about it for me, but there are others I hit from time to time as well, but mainly when I need specific info on something.

OFC is really unique. I've been on the net for a long time and been parts of many forums/ message boards living and dead and this is a unique group of people to co exist and get along so well (for the most part).

I know its a lot of work to keep up, thanks to the mods for all they do.

www.joesoldlures.com

f150online.com

flytyeronline.com

wvangler.com

OFC

that's about it for me, but there are others I hit from time to time as well, but mainly when I need specific info on something.

OFC is really unique. I've been on the net for a long time and been parts of many forums/ message boards living and dead and this is a unique group of people to co exist and get along so well (for the most part).

I know its a lot of work to keep up, thanks to the mods for all they do.

Joe's Old Lures. I spend alot of time there(and money). NFLCC and CAFTA member here.

Jack.

I spend waaay too much time here :blush: That's because the puter is right in the kitchen while I waste another 5 hours boiling down another batch of salsa.

Beyond that: http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/

It was the first fishing forum I hit, and there are still some good people there. The problem I find with a lot of these other boards that come and go - 5 threads is a busy day. There just isn't the activity or community.

I spend waaay too much time here :blush: That's because the puter is right in the kitchen while I waste another 5 hours boiling down another batch of salsa.

Beyond that: http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/

It was the first fishing forum I hit, and there are still some good people there. The problem I find with a lot of these other boards that come and go - 5 threads is a busy day. There just isn't the activity or community.

Time spent making salsa is never a waste - unless yer a crummy cook, of course. :D

JF

Time spent making salsa is never a waste - unless yer a crummy cook, of course. :D

JF

Ugli yes :P , Crummy no!

What was originally meant for personal consumption has taken on a life of it's own. We took a jar to St Jacobs to help promote the produce my buddy grows ( my source and supply for peppers and tomatoes). Neither of us dreamed I would have more orders than I could keep up with. This is seriously cutting into prime fishing time :wallbash: It's a nice problem to have seeing as nobody wants to hire a broken old derelict :D