survival suit

west lake charlie

I would buy it early and have it ready. I wont be without a survival suit. The cheapest ones i have seen are $225.00. But its better to pay a little more if you have to and get one that you like. Its not something i would try to order in so you should try it on in the store.

My suggestion is to go to your local store and pick out a good one.

I was in your situation last season. Ice fished a lot without one. When I started to fish back lakes more and more, often being the only group out there, I decided like you safety was worth the cost.

So I did a lot of searching for one that had lots of useful features and would fit my budget. After comparing the popular brands, the suit I went with was the Helly Hansen Alpha float suit, that I got from Hirks in Courtice for $280+tax. There is also a cheaper model of Helly Hansen Delta for about $250, but I've seen it on sale for $199 though often late into the season. That model has fewer pockets and doesn't have the internal suspenders of the Alpha which come in super handy on those warmer days.

http://www.helly.ca/EN/products/124-product.cfm

I have the alpha, and it has so many good features like neoprene cuffs, suspenders, fleece lined hand warmer pockets, fleece lined collar. My only complaint is that for a $300 suit, they spent about .02 on the hood, which is garbage.

Here it is in action for Walleye on Quinte in December

3100926308_105cea389e.jpg

Safety issues aside...I wonder which would be warmer and/or more comfortable, a one piece survival suit or a two peice system like Clam corp's Ice Armor. http://www.clamcorp.com/icearmor_blue.html

Or this one?...http://www.snosuit.com/arctic/

I'm pretty sure that both of those two peice systems are around $400, and they don't offer the safety features of a Mustang type suit. I'm just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are with each.

Anyone have any input?

I am just about to replace my Bouy-o-Bout 1-piece flotation suit.

This time, I am buying a 2-piece suit. I found a lot of times I got too hot ice fishing, and instead of unzipping and bunching up the top half , it would be nice to just be in bib-pants.

This time, I am buying a WATERPROOF floater suit...the Bouy-o-Bouy just acted like a sponge and I would get wet.

The only brand I have found that is like a gore-tex rain-suit with CCG approved flotation is the Mustang Survival Integrity HX line.

I have an e-mail out to their customer service as the website shows the bib-pants as being 'HX' but the jacket is just 'Integrity' which isn't waterproof. They have a 1-piece Integrity HX suit...but I would prefer going the 2-piece route this time.

My $.02 :)

Tony

http://www.salusmarine.com/pdfs/suit.pdf

My 2 cents

I dont like 2 piece because of the flow through issue but to each his own

and to be honest I dont buy them I get proto types to try out and make suggestions on

another option is hook and bullet

but best suit so far bar none fore me is the Salus suit has zippable vents a harness system and I float very well in it and even on the coldest days I just wear underarmour i have stayed in very very cold water for extended periods with no issues

Mine is the odessy class

and I was so impressed I bought a sar vest from the same company

MADE IN CANADA

Edited by BITEME.Esq

I am just about to replace my Bouy-o-Bout 1-piece flotation suit.

This time, I am buying a 2-piece suit. I found a lot of times I got too hot ice fishing, and instead of unzipping and bunching up the top half , it would be nice to just be in bib-pants.

This time, I am buying a WATERPROOF floater suit...the Bouy-o-Bouy just acted like a sponge and I would get wet.

The only brand I have found that is like a gore-tex rain-suit with CCG approved flotation is the Mustang Survival Integrity HX line.

I have an e-mail out to their customer service as the website shows the bib-pants as being 'HX' but the jacket is just 'Integrity' which isn't waterproof. They have a 1-piece Integrity HX suit...but I would prefer going the 2-piece route this time.

My $.02 :)

Tony

Tony -

At Le Baron, that's all we carry, so I suspect their website may be correct. The pants are HX, but the coats are not. From what I've always understood, the seams are sealed on all the HX products, whereas the Integrity coat is just water resistant.

I just got a 2 piece suit

I have not used it yet

but I was tired of having the top have of the one piece suit dragging on the ground because it was a warmer day

now I can take the coat off in the hut or on warm days, I hope it will be as warm as a one piece

i have the Helly Alpha bought it a lebaron i think it was 269.99

its nice and warm , but as mentioned the hood is total garbage

i bought it last year and used it all winter trout fishing in the lower river from the boat and never had any issues with it , The hand warmer pockets are KEY , it is bright but if you use it alot it fades a touch and gets dirty , and i like the idea of being able to be found in the water with bright colours if i do happen to go in

jeffsfishingpics008.jpg

that day was collllllld

Edited by Wiser

http://www.salusmarine.com/pdfs/suit.pdf

My 2 cents

I dont like 2 piece because of the flow through issue but to each his own

and to be honest I dont buy them I get proto types to try out and make suggestions on

another option is hook and bullet

but best suit so far bar none fore me is the Salus suit has zippable vents a harness system and I float very well in it and even on the coldest days I just wear underarmour i have stayed in very very cold water for extended periods with no issues

Mine is the odessy class

and I was so impressed I bought a sar vest from the same company

MADE IN CANADA

What is a suit like that worth? It looks very pricey

I would buy it early and have it ready. I wont be without a survival suit. The cheapest ones i have seen are $225.00. But its better to pay a little more if you have to and get one that you like. Its not something i would try to order in so you should try it on in the store.

My suggestion is to go to your local store and pick out a good one.

I haven't bought one yet but I do agree with TRYING it on before purchasing. However that doesn't mean you have to buy it where you try it on. If you can find a better deal by ordering it online for the same model you tried on that is the route I would go. Whereas different companies have different sizing once you pick a model and size from any company they should all be consistent.

I do the same thing with boots go to a store pick out what I want, then check out the best deal once I know they are what I want and will fit.... I look at it this way every ten bucks I save on gear in one more trip in gas money to the tribs.