outdoor card

corvette1

dont even start with those things today!!! i just did my hunting course and i went to go by a small games licence and i showed the guy my card and hes like sorry thats a fishing outdoors card. and i was like what the hell!?! who cares about the damn picture and what the hell is the point of the extra spaces on the back is you cant use them for anything?!?! the guy told me i had to go to the mnr office and get this sorted out, got there at 4:35 and they were closed grrrrrr! i better not have to pay for another card, i bought this one jan,1st and it took 3months to come in! i hate how things are run!

Worm dangler, I had this problem last year. They ended up selling me a new card because I needed the hunting one. Then I was told I could be charged because I had two outdoors cards. They are supposed to upgrade your card for you, which will be a piece of paper then get you the stickers that you require. You do not need the mnr to do this, whoever does your lic and cards does.

I got sick of having to buy licenses every year. So, when it came time to renew my card (this year), I got it with 3 years fishing and 3 years small game hunting. It cost a few bucks, but you do save money that way.

That's gunna save me some grief

Worm dangler, I had this problem last year. They ended up selling me a new card because I needed the hunting one. Then I was told I could be charged because I had two outdoors cards. They are supposed to upgrade your card for you, which will be a piece of paper then get you the stickers that you require. You do not need the mnr to do this, whoever does your lic and cards does.

Whats the big deal about having 2 outdoors cards?

Likely because the guys at the store you got it from forgot to send it out.

Nope actually they were right on time for us US folks

Website and telephone operator said we wouldn't get our cards until at least Sept

Got my paper copy in May and my card in the mail last Monday

Now if I can only get my passport I'll be good to go :rolleyes:

Whats the big deal about having 2 outdoors cards?

The MNR can get sticky if you show them two cards. They don't like that, and it can actually be illegal.

I always keep my wife's outdoors (fishing only) card with mine (fishing and hunting) in a little billfold, along with my pleasure craft operator's card, my insurance slip for the snow machine. Just so that everything's in one place.

Two years ago, during the deer hunt, a C.O. asked me for my license and when I pulled out the billfold, he saw that I had a second card (my wife's). To this day I don't know if he could have charged me for having two cards in my possession. but he was not a happy camper for a few minutes until my explanation seemed to satisfy him.

If my wife's card had been a hunting card, I think he would have charged me.

ya so i originally went to the trading post to buy a small games and the guy told me to go to the MNR building and i got there and they were closed. Today i go back down there and they redirect me to a service ontario building down town so i go there and they redirect me to another service ontario place. what a piss off!!! Like seriously just dont make "fishing" outdoors card and just make one type of card like what the hell!! makes me sooooo bad and going around getting sent other places and now i gotta wait another 3months for another freaking card!!! i bought my FISHING outdoors card jan,1 first and it came in at the end of march, grrrrrrrr i freaking hate this!!!

Bureaucrats. :asshat::asshat::asshat:

Used to be you could walk into an MNR office, talk to the receptionist and get whatever you needed.

Now they've come up with a "better" system, because the MNR doesn't want to be bothered by the general public any more. You have to go to a separate office for licenses and permits - with exceptions!

A couple of years ago I went to the license-dispensing office in North Bay (Ontario Gov't Building on McKewen) to get a permit for my ice hut for Nipissing. Oh sorry, we do all licenses here but NOT those --- you have to go to the MNR office for those.

What do I get at the MNR office? I go in the door and find myself in a little porch and the next door (frosted glass so you can't see in) is locked. On the wall is a phone and beside it is a notice that says, "Please dial the extension number of the person to whom you wish to speak". Trouble is, there's no list of numbers!!!

I knock on the door --- no answer, though I can hear people talking on the other side. I stand there looking stupid. I'm about to blow my top when a guy (not MNR) comes walking out. I grab the door handle and make an ass of myself giving the woman behind a counter in the next room hell for the dumb set-up they have. She apologizes and says yes I can get the ice-hut permit from her. I apologize for giving her hell for something that obviously isn't her fault, and she allows that I'm not the first to get steamed.

Bottom line - the MNR is following what other gov't offices are doing --- making themselves as inaccessible as possible. It would be so nice to be able to find the right person to give a good kick in the pants. Of course in a bureaucracy that's impossible.

:wallbash:

We are getting so ripped off by our government.

Every time they think of a new way to get a vote, we get to pay for it.

Nobody wants any of this crap, so how do they decide that we have to pay for it.

We don't want a law that says you can't have your wifes outdoors card in your pocket along with yours, so why is there one?

Just a couple of pieces of information about the Outdoors Card, which I still believe is actually a good thing.

When I was a Zone 3 director for a number of years of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (in the 80's) we were pushing for the adoption of an Outdoors Card. The older members here will remember the days when you had multiple pieces of paper for all the licenses (small game, deer, bear, moose, fishing) and multiple ways to lose them. The Outdoors Card "centralized" all the licenses with stickers on one credit card-sized piece of plastic. It also did away with you having to wait for each license issuer to fill out a new license with all your information (name, address, etc. etc.).

The cost of the Outdoors Card itself (not the licenses that are applied to it) is earmarked for fish and game management and conservation. This is unusual because all other license and permit fees go into general governemt revenues and are "lost" as far as maintaining and improving hunting and fishing opportunities. The O.F.A.H. and the public have some say in where Outdoors Card revenues are spent.

Edited by Jocko

Just a couple of pieces of information about the Outdoors Card, which I still believe is actually a good thing.

The older members here will remember the days when you had multiple pieces of paper for all the licenses (small game, deer, bear, moose, fishing) and multiple ways to lose them.

The older members here will remember a Ontario Resident didn't need a fishing license. And the fishing was better.

The older members here will remember a Ontario Resident didn't need a fishing license. And the fishing was better.

Yup. :)

But the fishing license pre-dated the Outdoors Card. I still don't agree with a fishing license, just like I don't agree with a boater's card.

While we're at it, another annoyance (and cost) is a special course for wild turkeys. Any waterfowl hunter knows that waterfowl hunting is potentially more dangerous than hunting wild turkey, yet the safety rules you need to know are well-covered by the regular hunter safety course.

The wild turkey course is an unnecessary rip-off. It could easily be accomodated in the regular HSC. And older, experienced hunters don't need it.