Kawartha Muskie Report - Sat Sept 5th

ccmtcanada

With the perfect weather forecast, Bly and I couldn't pass it up and headed to our favourite Kawartha lake to see if we could tease any muskies out of the weeds. We launched around 715am...waters were calm, winds were zero, and the temps were nice. Water temperature hovered around 72F...about 10F cooler than the last time we were there.

We started out in about 8 to 10 feet of water, looking for the weed structure that we've always had luck with. No bites at all, so we moved close to some shallow spots...prime bass waters. I put on a plastic worm rigged weedless and began throwing into the weeds. As I retrieving one time, I'm watching my worm come in...when out of nowhere, this little muskie bolts for it! I didn't feel the fish on, but as soon as my bait disappeared, I set the hook. It took me straight into the weeds and quickly shook the hook loose. Oh well...at least it seemed they were biting.

A little while later, using my favourite spinner, I feel my lure stop as I'm retrieving it through some weeds. I set the hook but must have pulled it right out of it's mouth. I learned my lesson last year and continued my retrieve...twitching it to mimic an injured fish. Sure enough as it comes closer to the boat, I see it following...and it take it again. After a quick fight...a smallish muskie came to the boat. Not too bad...a few hours out and two muskies on! No pic...just released it right away. Bly decides that since the bite isn't on for her, she wants to jig for a little while. Not long into it, she hooks into this beauty smallie.

01Smallie.jpg

Then the bite turned off...nothing for a few hours, so we spent the time looking for weed edges and shoals to see what may be swimming around. We decided to head back to our normal spots after we caught absolutely nothing...by then, the clouds had rolled in and a nice chop had formed on the water. We were hoping this combination would put the bite on again, and we guessed right!

We drifted through areas that looked promising...then trolled back through the area to set up our next drift. As it turned out, this was a good strategy today, as we boated 3 more...2 for Bly and one more for me...here's a few pics....

02caroleski.jpg

04cliffski.jpg

05release.jpg

One time while trolling, I looked at one of my other fishing rods and spotted these dragonflies...

03dragonfly.jpg

Anyhow, had a great day out there...the weather was perfect, and we managed to catch a few fish while we were at it...the fish were all small, but we didn't care...it's always fun to tussle with a muskie!

I was out Monday, didn't do to bad considering my late start (the water skier's were out by the time i got motivated) started fishing at pleasant point worked my way up to CLiffs to say HI (he wasn't in) the boat was out then procedded to pound the river before calling it a day