Removing a fish hook.

TJQ

" we cut it off and pushed it through.. LOL

My wife... and this is the gods honest truth.. told Jaden to go get the first aid kit... she came back with the bottle of scotch.. lol.. it hurt .. but that was funny right there.... we clipped the hook and pushed it through, doused the finger (and my liver) witnh the rest of the bottle, and I swear, the next morning you could barely tell anything happened...

That's my preferred method too Bossman!... I have to wait 'til I get home for the alcohol... but I make up for lost time when I get there! ;)

Pushing a hook thru and cutting off the barb is the least invasive and gives the puncture wound 2 holes to drain from!

... but damn do I ever cuss when I have to do that!!! B)

Mercer was here in Peterborough a few weeks back and did some time on the water with a local CHEX reporter. Well, somehow she got hooked in the lower leg and Dave used this method to get the hook out, showed it on the 6 oçlock news.

As said earlier in the thread, this is an accepted mehod of removing a hook that's in past the barb. Luckily, I've never had to use it.

In the video they should have removed the spoon before doing it.

Glad it wasn't me.

I was lucky the hook went right through.. I won't lie there was a half dozen shots of Jager before I went to bed that night

here is the link

OMG DUDE.... that was hard to watch!!!!

2 Stories

1 - When it happened to me it was in there deep, tried pulling it out (did't want to stop fishing, we were in a tournament, I know you understand) and my buddy almost puked just watching me, no go. To the hospital I go, they basically did the same thing just replace the line with a pair of shiny pliers!

2 - eyeware - At a train in camp, so a million miles from anywhere and my brother's spoon bounced off his glasses and stuck in his face! A quick yank and it was out. Never been on a boat without glasses since.

Kinda makes me feel sorry for the fish

That'll leave a mark!!! I know about that way of doing it but I've never seen it done before. I have personally seen the 'wall of shame' in Kenora General Hospital, there are some nice lures on there missing hooks. I guess that's another reason to pinch down your barbs.

Matts ( Pikeie) last fish at LOW gave him a nice going away present , a hook in the finger with fish attached .

Luckily it was a smallmouth with we quickly released , cut of the split ring and the remianing two barbs.

Once back at the lodge his fellow employess gathered for moral support :rolleyes: !!

We use the same method ( first time tried) . 85 lb power pro wrapped arond the hook shank and a set of pliers a quick yank and ........ what happend ? I was staring at the power pro thinking it had snapped , matt was looking at his finger wondering where the hook went LOL.

Wish I had video taped it but was supecting a more grusome outcome .

never did find the hook!

tb

That looks like it hurt with that muskie, I twitched!

haha...

I was fortunate enough ( when I got hooked by user efka, lol ) to have the hook go in past the barb but not deep. It was yanked out...

As the story goes, I supposedly turned white, my balance was off because I looked like I was going to faint, but hey, just another fish story :)

I would not yank a deep hook outta my skin like our Ski-yaker or our other friend Makers Mark... I would personally do what GCD did.

that was me last night flippin jigs, and some how i ended up with my Punisher jig's Huge Owner hook through my middle finger! at first i was like where is my jig? and why do i have this huge birds nest.. and then i realised..

lets just say i was not a happy camper.. + the sun was just going down, but i didnt exactly want to rip it out .. so what i did was took my fillet knife, cut a little slit in the skin then removed it how it says to... as i really didnt wanna ruin my new punisher jig that i bought yesterday..

haha i just wish i had pictures

Edited by fish-miester