SK Fishing Report

holdfast

Great weekend of fishing. Got my best sized fish of the year. First Id like to thank for the tips on night time walleye. As soon as work was done I wasted no time heading up north. I stopped long enough at the trailer for packing up to camp at Dugout lake. The plan was to fish the evenings and siesta during the Day.

So I packed the light boat and headed up the rough trail till I reached the small lake.

P8270025.jpg

P8270032.jpg

The Lake was nice and calm and I wanted to set up for the night quickly.

Out with the Box of Firewood, as the plan was not to waste time scrounging. I even loaded the fireplace ready for a match. The large trunk has all the utensils stoves flashlights etc and doubles as a table.

P8270026.jpg

P8280038.jpg

I even picked up the garbage and did a sweep of the area before last light.

P8270027.jpg

Tent was set up. Notice the cheap fly. Pathetic that a market can sell crap. But this $ 10 CT tent is excellent with some ingenuity as it has only two poles. It take seconds to put up.

P8270028.jpg

With the Tarp, its is as good as my $200 Bass pro tent as a shelter.

P8270030.jpg

You will notice that my sleeping bag zipper is face up in the middle vice flat on the side. In the Military I found it easier and faster to get in and out on your back zipping up or down. Its tricky getting into the mummy bags if your husky and not built like a stick.

P8270029.jpg

Time was running out so I trolled a bit and then settled for some still fishing using a minnow. I caught this eater pike but let it go thinking that surely i would catch some walleye.

P8270034.jpg

Spike loves the fish and of course the Lures. He even eats the weeds. Hes an amusing dog to say the least.

P8280042.jpg

Before I knew it it got dark really fast, and i thought that i would go in and grab a jacket and try it again. Problem is that I spent about 30 min looking for my campsite in the dark. I remember thinking that I should marked it, instead in my haste I made a mental note of the treeline, but the next morning in the daylight I was wrong.

Good thing it was a small lake but the problem kept me from going out again that night.

The next morning I had a great breakfast with an excellent coffee. the view was gorgeous. Especially with the mist on the Lake.

P8280036.jpg

P8280037.jpg

I got the itch to fish without a bite till 10 in the morn. It was getting hot and muggy so I decided to Siesta it in a Hammock till close to the evening. I packed everything up ready to load in the dark and then trolled to try a weed line where I had success before. I anchored in about 15 feet of water and slowly jigged a frozen minnow with a small split shot. I kept missing the hits then i figured out the technique and then finally caught a nice walleye. I put him on ther chain and wood loose him later when I wanted to take a picture. Somehow he un snapped a Snap. To my dissapointment I carried on fishing and then got another hit. Maybe a little bigger, but definately the years best walleye. Notice the Daiwa Ultralight 700 SS and my cheap Walmarts Eagle Claw. This is by far my favorite rig. By far the funnest rig to play a fish on. I would take that $15 dollar rod over my fenwick, Quantums, Uglysticks Berklys and Shimanos anyday. Too bad I cant find any more though. That rod has the action of a noodle it seems.

P8280045.jpg

P8280046.jpg

Since it was dark I let this beaut in the water and quickly headed back to the truck to pack up and call it a camping trip.

The next day I decided to take my bigger boat to Hackett lake to try for some still fishing for walleye. On the way out I decided to try trolling around this sunken Island where myself and John AB have fished. Im sure Hometownhandyman also fished it with myself as this place rarely lets me down. Boy did I ever hook into a good one.

This is the Rig and the lure was the first time using it.

P8290052.jpg

My best Jack of the year. I hasted the photo so I could release this Beauty so it can grow larger.

P8290049.jpg

I had no time to weigh him so Im game for any guesses

I really enjoy your journeys in Saskatchewan Rob...

the pics where you fish don't look like the area where I was born out there though...lol ( Moosomin)

The best part of this report for me was:

Setting the sleeping bag up with the zipper on top... I can barely find the damned thing when i gotta pee in the middle of the night :o

Another great SK report.

Rob, if I've the time to get onto the computer I drop in here and always look for Yours & Spikes reports...they just keep getting better all the time.

If I drive out west next spring to visit my son in AB I intend on looking you up beforehand, just love to get out in the boat and wet a line with you two in a few of the lakes you fish.

Keep these reports comming Bud..keep ém comming.

-Peter

Another great SK report.

Rob, if I've the time to get onto the computer I drop in here and always look for Yours & Spikes reports...they just keep getting better all the time.

If I drive out west next spring to visit my son in AB I intend on looking you up beforehand, just love to get out in the boat and wet a line with you two in a few of the lakes you fish.

Keep these reports comming Bud..keep ém comming.

-Peter

Not a problem, I dont intend on moving, however you may have a problem PMing me. Ive been handcuffed for my speak my mind remarks that hurt the sensitive and complainers

Excellent report and pics Holdie!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on both of those PB's!

I tweaked your Pike pic a little trying to get a better look at it:

P8290049.jpg

My guess is between 15-18 lbs... maybe 20?

Thanks for taking the time to post that report!

Yea I figure also in that category, it was thick, but then again the last thing I want to do is brag, so I figure let

the forum be the judge. The important thing is it is back in that lake and hopefully producing others

Great report bud,

I love the scenery shots....and how there never seems to be a soul around when your out there!

It kills me as I need to portage, and bust my butt to get anywere remotly private yet you just drive in LOL!

That Pike is 15lb+ IMO easily.

Fish pictures are so bloody subjective to angles, exposure, and back ground comparisons so really its anyones guess, and who cares any way right?

Thats a beautiful specimen regardless, and a beauty eye to boot.

Cheers,

Id like to say thanks for your support on my Posts that did make it through. Special Thanks to SplashHopper, for your inititive and also to Roy for locking up Splashes Topic as the snakes were starting to crawl out of their Holes knowing I was, well- say- tied up. Coach keep up the good work as you really do amuse me. Now Ill just wipe that Brown stuff off my nose.

Rob