Advice About My Cat

ADB

I'm just curious if anyone here has had a similar problem with their cat, or dog even.

A few weeks ago we noticed our 8 year old cat was avoiding jumping anywhere high. Soon, he was dragging his back feet at times, and at others he was walking wobbly. It seems like he can't get any grip or power from his hind legs/paws.

Now he barely jumps at all. Everything else about him seems fine - he's eating, going to the washroom normally, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. We've brought him to the vet who perscribed some arthritic medication on a trial basis, but after 10 days it hasn't helped one bit.

We're going to have to bring him in again, but in the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has any insight.

Thanks,

This is my pragmatic rural background talking....when faced with an expensive health problem on a peice of livestock, we would weigh the cost of a 22 shell versus the cost of treatment and replacement of said livestock.

I do not mean to be insensitive to the emotional cost, that comes into play as well. I wish you well with your pet.

This is my pragmatic rural background talking....when faced with an expensive health problem on a peice of livestock, we would weigh the cost of a 22 shell versus the cost of treatment and replacement of said livestock.

I do not mean to be insensitive to the emotional cost, that comes into play as well. I wish you well with your pet.

When I was a kid my dad said that to me all the time, it made me laugh when I read this :lol:

Sorry to hear about your cat though

It's funny that you bring this up Albert ,my wife is in the process of spending my son's inheritance on a newly diabetic cat as we speak.

It is essentially paying to stave off inevitable emotional turmoil.

You can't talk them out of it though.

Jim

Right now my little dog is under general anestetic for dental work. When my wife told me it'd cost $600 I was none to pleased. I told her my childhood dog Nicky only went to the vet twice, and the second time he didn't come home. This was not met with great understanding!

Well...I don't like cats, but I spent $4000 on my dog for his knee, so I can't say anything. I know my dogs would take a bullet for me...easily. So for me to bite one for them seems fair.

Family pets are not livestock.. you can't use logic in these situations. Heck, I like my dogs better than most people.

If it is the thyroid, treatment is inexpensive. I would suspect something more neurological or orthopedic though.

It's funny that you bring this up Albert ,my wife is in the process of spending my son's inheritance on a newly diabetic cat as we speak.

It is essentially paying to stave off inevitable emotional turmoil.

You can't talk them out of it though.

Jim

May not be as bad as you think ... our cat was on insulin twice a day (injections) ... which while it was a bit of a pain was actually NOT expensive at all .. I was shocked ... cost about $5/month for insulin and about $30/month for the disposable needles

then after about 8 months ... like magic .. she was not diabetic any more ... turned out that a cortisone shot which was given for a similar symptom to the one described above ... (which by the way didnt fix the problem) ... was the culprit ... cortisone in cats often leads to diabetes ... who knew ...

Anyhow .. the good news is she's now no longer on insulin and by all standards normal .. except that she needs a little help jumping up onto the dining room table for her after dinner petting ... a situation which I can live with :)

Yea the pet/ livestock thought pattern does not apply. I have both and to put down a farm animal is easier emotionally than a family pet. I go with the thought that you chose the pet so it is up to you to provide them with a food shelter and medical as needed. The decision should be made as to whether or not to put them down is if the quality of their life has declined into a place that is no longer rewarding to them. When that occures it is up to you to step up and pay the emotional price and put your family member down. I have paid for the health care for seven dogs and a few cats over the years and don't regret a dime of it...because at the end of the day it is the look of admiration and total joy he shows you no matter how bad your day was that makes you glad he is your buddy.

Art

Well...I don't like cats, but I spent $4000 on my dog for his knee, so I can't say anything...

Where'd you get it done? My dog (FishHound Mk.II) just blew out his knee last week, found out Thursday it's going to be a trip to Guelph and $6k for TLO AND and an artificial knee. suicide2.gif

He was chasing salmon through riffles and was blindsided by a big buck charging downstream...thinking of renaming him "Ninja" after the two motorcycles I have to sell to fund his new robodog leg.

Diabetes perhaps? Is he walking strangely because his sugar is low?

Jim

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Despite some peoples' experiences with animals, our cat is basically a part of the family, however cliche that may sound.

We took him back to the vet today and they took blood.

It turns out he's a diabetic, as Jim suggested. They're going to monitor him for a few days to see if the medication works. If it doesn't work he may have to be put down, as he can barely make it to the litter box anymore. If it does work, then we'll have to give him a shot once every day/two days at a cost of $10-$15 per month.

Wow, that's tough. I have a 16 year old cat that was doing the same thing as yours and was very interested to see what the vet diagnosed. Mine only did it once the other day. He was diagnosed awhile back as borderline diabetic, but due to his age, they really didn't feel he should start on any kind of treatment. He seems fine now so I'll keep an eye on him, but I guess it is the diabetese, so thanks for the update.

I wish you all the luck and I fully understand your cat being part of the family. It will be a sad day in our household when my Felix goes.

Joey

Where'd you get it done? My dog (FishHound Mk.II) just blew out his knee last week, found out Thursday it's going to be a trip to Guelph and $6k for TLO AND and an artificial knee. suicide2.gif

He was chasing salmon through riffles and was blindsided by a big buck charging downstream...thinking of renaming him "Ninja" after the two motorcycles I have to sell to fund his new robodog leg.

A place in scarboro...but mine didnt have TPLO...too much damage. Guelph is the best place for that.