Monster topwater largemouth

frozen-fire

Decided to head for the last two hours of sunlight. 7pm-9pm.

Since I am pretty much addicted to fishing topwaters for bass now, I start by throwing a spro frog over lily pads in a calm bay away from the wind.

I miss a couple of explosions but carry on my routine. casting anywhere and hopping the frog over the pads.

About half an hour in, I throw the frog about a foot away from shore. Give it two twitches and I see a wake forming from the right heading right towards the frog. There's a big splash and my frog disappears. I wait a couple seconds, reel in the slack 35lb powerpro and BINGO. I feel headshakes and it's a GOOD one.

It leaps and clears the water doing a crazy flip. I get scared that it's going to jump again, but it decides to head right down into the weeds/pads.

Thank goodness for PP. I horse this baby in through all the weeds and it's my best bass so far this year. Still shy of the monster I landed last year, but no doubt a 5lber at least I assume.

Sorry for the crap photos, but these were with my phone. Pics don't do this beast justice. Gave my hand a nice bite that tore skin upon it's release...crazy thing!

bigbass.jpg

bigbass1.jpg

Better pics with DSLR:

3857767371_c75ba3db82_o.jpg

3858556374_ff5c5ef711_o.jpg

3858556112_732cb938ec_o.jpg

This was my only bass for the day, and I also managed a nice crappie on a jointed rapala.

My buddy had 2 nice 2lbers and a gigantic bluegill all on topwaters.

Absolutely nothing beats topwater explosions on calm water.

Here's the one I had last year roughly about this time, caught on jointed rapala. Today's fish still don't beat that one I say. I always forget to measure the damn things!!! I always try to avoid weighing them with scale though cause it seems so stressful/damaging to the fish.

DSC01310640x480.jpg

Edited by frozen-fire

NICE!

i love the spro frog jr.

i have 3 of them. the best one i ever had was the green one but no one in my area has it or its sold out.

my black one gets lots of hits but hard to land anything on it. ive made some adjustments to it and heading out tomorrow.

what colour were you using?

That's a real chunky one, must have made a crazy boil/splash when it took the frog!

You bet! Once I saw the wake coming from the right, it instantly reminded me of last years fish...similar thing happened. Gotta love topwater.

NICE!

i love the spro frog jr.

i have 3 of them. the best one i ever had was the green one but no one in my area has it or its sold out.

my black one gets lots of hits but hard to land anything on it. ive made some adjustments to it and heading out tomorrow.

what colour were you using?

I was using the green back with yellow belly one. I'm still waiting for the other pics to upload...theres one showing the frog inside it's mouth and it looks tiny haha.

Crappy photos ??? Looks prety darn good to me. That must have been a thrill for that one to smash a top water. Set the hook and hang on. Congrats on that one.

Definitely took us for a ride in the canoe!

That is a good fish.

I remember last year's fish. It was huge. This one wasn't quite as big but a pig non the less.

Agreed. :)

Wow what a fish.

Nice to see that you are wearing your PFD at all times as well!!

The fishing gods know, that's why they send you the big bass.

Nice job.

Jim

That's how I like to think of it too. I always wear it in the canoe.

Hear too many stories of preventable accidents nowadays. Why risk friends and family pain?

Well done, again!

Man, that bog spot is sure shallow there.

It's back must have been out of the water!

:D

Not a problem with the canoe! There were 2-3 other larger fishing boats in the general area... however, I guess it was just too shallow for them to get into the thick stuff. At some points, it was just 6" of water and everything else was weeds.

I think next outing, I want to try the deeper east side of the lake. Hungry for another muskie.

Beauti, Would of liked to have seen that hookset though. If it was me I would of flipped that canoe the way I set the hook in the junk there. I nearly throw my partner out of a 20ft bass boat.

Interesting tidbit, I know exactly where you are in the pic. I released a fish identical to that one about 2 weeks ago there, I got him under a tree. Can't be 100% sure, but nice to think C&R of big fish success.

Edited by Harrison

Beauti, Would of liked to have seen that hookset though. If it was me I would of flipped that canoe the way I set the hook in the junk there. I nearly throw my partner out of a 20ft bass boat.

Interesting tidbit, I know exactly where you are in the pic. I released a fish identical to that one about 2 weeks ago there, I got him under a tree. Can't be 100% sure, but nice to think C&R of big fish success.

Catch and Release works! What did you catch yours on?

Yes, this fish came shooting out from under a tree ;)

Ha to funny. We have caught that same fish at least 5 times in that same spot usually on the same dam bait. There are a couple of them down right there. There is a big fallen log that comes out over the water there as well. Usually another one in there hugging the bank. Look straight down to your right where that guy has the plane. Under his neighbours dock you will get usually another nice one. Awesome to see that catch and release works.

Catch and Release works! What did you catch yours on?

Yes, this fish came shooting out from under a tree ;)

Flippin jig, good chance it was the same fish then. Nice too see.

That whole shoeline heading North is a pretty good bet anytime of the year, Good Luck.

Ha to funny. We have caught that same fish at least 5 times in that same spot usually on the same dam bait. There are a couple of them down right there. There is a big fallen log that comes out over the water there as well. Usually another one in there hugging the bank. Look straight down to your right where that guy has the plane. Under his neighbours dock you will get usually another nice one. Awesome to see that catch and release works.

Right on. That fallen log is where my buddy missed one that was of similar size.

For people who know, release the biggies. It's clear that you can enjoy the fight another day from the same fish.

Which color SPRO did you use? and 35pound power pro for bass seems like overkill to me. I guess it cuts through the lilly pads and such right?

i don't use less than 50lb PP when frog fishing in slop/pads... some guys go up to 65 or even 80 lb braid depending on what they are using and what kind of cover they are fishing in.

beauty largemouth by the way! congrats!