Boatless

pro190

Had my boat stolen from my driveway on Saturday night. It was a 2007 Legend Xcalibur with 75hp Merc, fishfinder, trolling motor etc, etc... My 4 fishing rods were in the boat too :( All they left me was a couple of skid marks and broken chocks. Does anyone know of a decent yet affordable way of securing their boat/trailer against theft? I was thinking of a "boot" like they use for cars but the ones I've seen so far are fairly expensive.

The next boat (I doubt the old one will be recovered) will have GPS tracking installed so if this ever happened again I should get some satisfaction of having the thief caught.

Need2fish = needs a boat ... and a rod.

Kevin

Sorry to hear about your boat brother.

I put a lockable ball thingy in the ball thing. I also put a chain through the rim and around the frame as was previously mentioned. I also fold the trailer tongue back and use the safety chains to lock it in the folded position.

What precautions had you in place if you don't mind my asking?

Jim

Cops know you cannot stop a determined THIEF!

They must have scoped it out for awhile. Maybe a neighbor is a scout for 'em?

My best bud got robbed with a pair of jetskis on a trailer. They broke into his house too!!!!!!

Lots of INSURANCE + photos of your gear + registered SERIAL Numbers is your only help.

Motion Detector lights & Video is BEST.

Any lock can be beat by a pro.. <_<

Edited by danbo

One of these will slow them down:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-L~3774DAT.htm

... but the very best deterrent is one of these!

Rottweiler-doing-protection-trainin.jpg

A well trained guard dog is worth it's weight in gold!!!... even little yappy dogs that make a lot of noise will scare off the thieves.

or one of those

badger2.jpg

Sorry to hear about this.... that really sucks :angry:

They feed animals to shut them up!

Yeah... try to get close enough to mine to even THROW her some food!!!... a well trained dog will not take food from strangers, mine won't even eat the food I put down for her until I tell her she can have it!... and it's that way for a reason!

if they really want it

there is nothing you can do

when I had my atv on a trailer stolen

it was in a locked gated fenced back yard

the hitch was locked plus the locking ball was inside the hitch

there was a chain through the rims

in my mind there was no way no how to take it

they backed up to the gate tipped the ramp on the car hauler, tied the winch to my trailer , winched it up onto the truck right through the gate and gone in 60 seconds

I now have a complete camera dvr system watching it, it will not stop them, but maybe help catch them

if they really want it

there is nothing you can do

when I had my atv on a trailer stolen

it was in a locked gated fenced back yard

the hitch was locked plus the locking ball was inside the hitch

there was a chain through the rims

in my mind there was no way no how to take it

they backed up to the gate tipped the ramp on the car hauler, tied the winch to my trailer , winched it up onto the truck right through the gate and gone in 60 seconds

I now have a complete camera dvr system watching it, it will not stop them, but maybe help catch them

How many dogs do you have in the yard?

we sold several locks at our trailer shop, the sturdiest lookin one was called a gorilla lock at around 40$. CT sells tongue locks cheaper but this thing was beefy! chain thru the tires is a good low tech deterrent (funny story my partner towed a 26' for 5kms before figuring out the black strip down the highway and the blue smoke was not normal).

some other ideas we came up with

-long term storage or a week left at strange boat ramp - remove the bolts and take the coupler with you!

-most of our boats trailers were huge and had pipe mount jacks, lower the trailer as low as you can onto a block and take the jack with you!

kind of a hassle but in both cases would be thieves would have brought devices to conquer a lock but unlikely to have brought a spare coupler or jack

sorry to hear about your troubles hope the replacement goes well!

we sold several locks at our trailer shop, the sturdiest lookin one was called a gorilla lock at around 40$. CT sells tongue locks cheaper but this thing was beefy! chain thru the tires is a good low tech deterrent (funny story my partner towed a 26' for 5kms before figuring out the black strip down the highway and the blue smoke was not normal).

some other ideas we came up with

-long term storage or a week left at strange boat ramp - remove the bolts and take the coupler with you!

-most of our boats trailers were huge and had pipe mount jacks, lower the trailer as low as you can onto a block and take the jack with you!

kind of a hassle but in both cases would be thieves would have brought devices to conquer a lock but unlikely to have brought a spare coupler or jack

sorry to hear about your troubles hope the replacement goes well!

Great suggestions!!!

A 12" diameter hole 4' deep with a #6 rebar hairpin puored in concrete and a heavy hardenened chain run thru it and around the axle takes some time to get thru too!

... especially if there's a couple rabid dogs trying to chew your nads off!!! :blink:

hAHA Dawg..U live on Sesame Street? :santa:

I hear ya Bubba 'Bo!

... and the longer it takes you to "lock one up", is the longer it takes them to steal it!!!

... and there's a reason they call dawgs "Mans Best Friend"!!!... the instant someone turns into my driveway, the alarm goes off!!!

I had a ball lock and a chain through the frame anchored deep in the pad. It"s only a deterrent, and to show proof to the insurance dinks that we had done due diligence. Amazing how many insurance companies refuse claims on that basis.

1" rebar, as long as your wheel base + 4-6". flat plate welded to one end hole drilled in other end. Slide rebar through holes in tires, making sure to go through leaf springs. another flat plate with 1" hole drilled in it and a heavy duty lock through hole on rebar. i use this plus tonge locks.

Sorry about the boat being stolen.... The truth is these days if the thieves want it bad enough they will get it one way or another. Locks only slow down the honest person.

GCD I have never seen a dog yet that couldn't be tricked somehow, with food a bigger dog, a female in heat.... Or if the item is valuable enough the dog is drugged or shot for it. Remember thieves aren't thieves because they have a strong sense of morality to begin with.

I agree with a camera system to help catch them but just having it go into your house isn't enough because if the item is valuable enough what is to stop them from coming in and getting the computer, discs or tapes? Especially if you happen to be out which is when most thieves like to do their dirty deeds.

I am sure we aren't too far away from a system with facial recognition that would upload the crime automatically to the net where the thief would be unable to stop it...