POLL - Keep or Release?

Jonny

Keep or Release?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep a 6 lb pickerel?

• YES - fresh fillets for supper
    • NO - back in the water it goes

I'm just surprised that 6 lb Walleye ( not pickerel) can get so much attention <_<:lol:

Around here it's a pickerel. :)

But yeah, up around Timmins/Cochrane/Chapleau a six-pounder wouldn't really raise any eyebrows. You'd just say yeah, nice fish, and keep on fishin'.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
JHC you're confrontational. Are you sitting on a dong or something??!! <_<:wallbash:

how was that confrontational? i was legitimately confused until i searched wikipedia for gross and 144...

this just in, pot calls kettle black!

I voted no, back in the water it goes....the only way I'd keep it was if I really wanted a fish fry and simply could not catch a fish below the slot...even then....I don't know that I would keep it...just don't think it would be worth eating at that size

...even then....I don't know that I would keep it...just don't think it would be worth eating at that size

Frame of mind, I guess, and each of us is welcome to our own. (I don't mean this disparagingly, please don't take it that way).

I've eaten fillets from a number of 6 to 8 pounders over the years (not all ones that I caught myself) and I tasted nothing but great pickerel. I've never heard complaints from anyone else around the dinner table either.

I wonder what people have to say about 10-20 lb salmon? I've eaten those fresh too, from Superior, (though I canned a couple 30-35 lb) and didn't bat an eye.

I wonder, is part of the prejudice against keeping and eating large pickerel because they are "natural" whereas the salmon are considered "stocked"?

I couldn't figure out what you were saying either. ;)

I was fishing for a definition of GROSS. :P 12x12 = 144 = a gross.

Boy, I hope I got that right. This is a place where 4x4 seems to = 8. :lol:

However one must bear in mind the the square root of 69 is .....8 somthing

Fiqured I take this thread even farther south....

However one must bear in mind the the square root of 69 is .....8 somthing

Fiqured I take this thread even farther south....

Well, and I speak from experience .. a six pound (legal) Pickeral is EXCELLENT eating .... and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Now ... the second and third one would probably be sent back with all due dispatch to be shared with the next fortunate angler ....

i dont give a rats arse if its against the grain of this thread....6 pounds of pickeral would be a treat to my palate since i havent had any in years...so i would eat it ALL and not invite anyone over to join me ...recently during the past derby a guy picked one up trolling back into port and i offered him three salmon for his 5ish pounder...he declined ....

I dunno?... a 6 lb. Red Fin or Grass Pickerel would be world records for sure!!!... but I feel sure that I would release them after timely pics were taken to document the moment!

A 6 lb. Chain Pickerel is a trophy fish for anywhere!!!... it would swim free after a pic or 2 as well!!!

Now if you're talking aboot the less educated Canadian term for Walleye as Pickeral, the 6 lber. would swim... I'd rather take my chances on keeping and eating 3 or 4 "slotties" than to kill such a magnificent creature!!! :P;)

... but that's just a Retneks POV!!!

btw... I'd just like to add that I love to rape the Canadian resources whenever I get the chance!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by GCD

I dunno?... a 6 lb. Red Fin or Grass Pickerel would be world records for sure!!!... but I feel sure that I would release them after timely pics were taken to document the moment!

A 6 lb. Chain Pickerel is a trophy fish for anywhere!!!... it would swim free after a pic or 2 as well!!!

Now if you're talking aboot the less educated Canadian term for Walleye as Pickeral, the 6 lber. would swim...

Pickerel it is, here in the North. You'll just have to learn to live with your frustration.

I'd rather take my chances on keeping and eating 3 or 4 "slotties" than to kill such a magnificent creature!!! :P;)

So you'd rather take illegal fish. Nice.

btw... I'd just like to add that I love to rape the Canadian resources whenever I get the chance!!!

Taking a fish that you are allowed by the regulations to take doesn't equal "raping the resource". You'll have to get used to that idea too.

Your post is quite a 3 in 1 troll.

Edited by Jocko

Pickerel it is, here in the North. You'll just have to learn to live with your frustration...or your ignorance?

So you'd rather take illegal fish. Nice... would I be the first or the last???

Taking a fish that you are allowed by the regulations to take doesn't equal "raping the resource". You'll have to get used to that idea too...who sez I take the ones I'm allowed???

Your post is quite a 3 in 1 troll.... it THRILLS me that you noticed that!!! :P

Edited by GCD

Pickerel it is, here in the North. You'll just have to learn to live with your frustration...or your ignorance?

If I thought you had "stupid" names for your local fish down there in Alabama, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it and tell you because:

a ) I wouldn't care enough

b ) It's not polite

So who's ignorant?

We call 'em pickerel. Like I suggested, get over it

pickerel_nb_nugget.JPG

pickerel__sudbury_star.JPG

Edited by Jocko

if I had no others for food, then bonk it, clean it and cook it.

IF I had others in the 16" to 17.5" range then off it would go.

But food is food and it is within my right to keep the ONE.

I had one a few weeks ago that was on the 5LB range and I kept it, cooked it and it was great. I tried to catch others smaller so I could set it free but no such luck and my family wanted to try it (I would have eaten it all if they didn't) so in the pan it went. Do I regret it, NO. The MNR had the ntes in the lake 3 times this year on my lake so I don't think I did any damage, did they?

I vote release just because that's me. On my last trip to the west arm I released 3 fish of around 5 lbs (25") and one beautifully built heavy 28+" fish around 8 lbs. I know they may be past their breeding prime, but my hope is some kid gets a chance to catch one of those and it makes his or her vacation. Purely personal choice and I certainly wouldn't criticize another person's decision to keep their catch.

Good on ya :clapping: