Say you won a contest to fish with 3 TV Fishermen...

Kinger

1) Bob Mehsikomer for musky and pike (if i had my choice it would be on Irregular lake)

2) Dave Mercer on Erie or Simcoe for smallies

3) Italo Labignan on the tribs for rainbows and browns...

I'd also like to fish with Pete Bowman and cast for northerns somewhere.....

Celebs are too often too wired into their celeb-ness to loosen up with anyone but their friends, and the last thing I want to do is spend time with someone who makes me feel like they're being inconvenienced by spending time with me. They suit me fine on the tv screen. Up close and personal I'd rather spend time with real people who really know what I wish I knew. YMMV - JF

JF - have you personally fished with any tv fishing pros, and therefore are basing this statement on your personal experience? Or are you just assuming that TV pros will cop an attitude when fishing with us "lowly people"?

I personally have been fortunate enough to spend a number of days in the past fishing with 3 different TV pros (not all at once ... different guys, different years) previously mentioned by others in this thread, and I couldn't disagree more. They weren't there because I won some sort of contest and therefore had to be there. They were there on their own accord. I was immediately put at ease by their openness, friendliness, and their "I'm just a guy who loves to fish, just like you" attitude. I had a great time, and so did they, and we still keep in touch to this day.

Edited by lhousesoccer

JF - have you personally fished with any tv fishing pros, and therefore are basing this statement on your personal experience? Or are you just assuming that TV pros will cop an attitude when fishing with us "lowly people"?

I personally have been fortunate enough to spend a number of days in the past fishing with 3 different TV pros (not all at once ... different guys, different years) previously mentioned by others in this thread, and I couldn't disagree more. They weren't there because I won some sort of contest and therefore had to be there. They were there on their own accord. I was immediately put at ease by their openness, friendliness, and their "I'm just a guy who loves to fish, just like you" attitude. I had a great time, and so did they, and we still keep in touch to this day.

Nope. I'm sure many or all of the pros mentioned can loosen up with friends on occasion. I'd feel sorry for them if they couldn't. I was basing it on my experiences with golf pros and professional athletes in other sports. Some of them are friends of mine and they're different when it's just us guys having a few beers. I think it's cuz they know I was there when they were ordinary folks. But they tend to get used to distancing themselves from the common folk and become somewhat aloof, or perhaps the right word is condescending. I know I'm not as good as them at their chosen sports, but I sure don't need constant reminders. The fishing pros reading this will know what I mean, and whether or not it applies to them. I'm not necessarily knocking them for it. It's kinda natural to become conditioned to the deference or adulation (it depends on the persons involved) and come to expect it from everyone. It takes a really big man to survive his own celebrity. I'm just generally underwhelmed by folks who've spent so much time on a pedestal they start to believe they've never been and never will be anywhere else. I want my heroes to be real people, not iconic figures. YMMV

JF

I'm a very lucky guy since I've already fished with most of the TV hosts previously mentioned, and in some pretty amazing places at that. They're all great guys to spend a day on a boat with, but my picks? In no particular order:

Mark Kulik

Mark Krupa

Big Jim McLaughlin

Mark Kulik is not just a great angler, but a very good personal friend for nearly three decades. Enough said.

Mark Krupa never ceases to make me laugh - wonderful guy, great photographer and always shows up with a big bag of Montreal's most awesome bagels.

Big Jim because he's the picture of 'class act' in every single way - truly wonderful guy who knows how to fish and who always makes a day in the boat magical.

I couldn't care less where we went, but Munro Lake, in northern Manitoba, would probably be my first choice. Average pike is about 12 pounds, there are lots of honest 20 - 25 pound gators, and a slow afternoon would mean landing about 40 fish apiece. Oh yeah, the grayling run around three pounds on average, and gobble dry flies as fast as you can huck them out there. Heaven on a three-weight.