NF 25Th Wedding Anniversary

holdfast

Wow time really goes so fast that I forgot our 25Th anniversary. Who would ever think that I would still be married all this time to the same woman and my first and only love. I thank her Parents for immigrating to Canada when she was 10 yrs old. He a Palestinian and her Mother an Iraqi both from Iraq in 68. He would be sponsored by the church and a company in Fredericton where his family would learn how to be good Canadians.

He would then move his family to St Hubert Quebec where I would meet my future wife whilst walking up the road with my Buddie. Just being English would be a conversation in itself to get to know each other. I found out she was Catholic and I Protestant consequently we were at two different high Schools both just turning 18.

img033.jpg

It was 1977 and I would ask her out to our first date, a Pink Floyd Concert at the Olympic Stadium, the Animals Tour. Things were not easy at first as I had to sneak behind her Fathers back, as I was told that there was noway he would allow someone to date her daughter who is a High School Drop out and works at the Car Wash making minimum wage.

img035.jpg

She would graduate from High School and then go to UNB and back to Concordia to finish her graduation in Mtl.

In the mean time I promised her that I would change my ways and would Marry her once I was happy and secure. This would take me to Calgary and after about a year I would join the Military. Seven years later we would Marry at a small church in St Hubert. Aug of 84

img031.jpg

Our wedding reception would be held at the Brossard Legion of which my Mom was a member. Funny, when I look back now and realize that our Honeymoon was a weekend of Camping at Lake Champlain State Park in North Hero Vt ,as we had no money. I cant remember fishing though.

img032.jpg

I have to say though, It Takes a really strong woman who has to be independent to be able to stay as long as she endured married to a Military person. So many ups and downs.

Thank you Nahla for leading me in the right direction and the wonderful life and children you have given me.