Second opinion on Merc 40 issue -- Part II

LeXXington

Hey All:

Well my new 2008 engine is giving me grief, well it could be the engine.

Its a 40-hp 4st merc. When I say its brand new its a 2008 model put on this year. Now made in china but I don't think its the cause

Basically when I go too WOT I stall out, not enough too stop the engine but it sputters then when I go back too mid range it works fine. I can go all the way upto WOT for a few seconds then putters. Its not bad fuel as I thought it might be too and replaced it with all fresh fuel.

I think it has something too do with the fuel running out. Where in the chain that occurs is my issue.

AND THE UPDATE ****

I changed and cleared everthing I could think off.. Again Fresh fuel, Cleared all the lines with an Air Hose, Cleared the intake screen.. Everthing I could think of.

Still no fix.. Of to Bass Pro where I purchased et.. $200.00 later I am told it was gas filters apparently there are 2 and they needed changing. After only running for say 60 hours ok., I give maybe bad fuel something got in there.. So I pay the cash and walk out happy the boat is fixed.

Prior to going out again, I empty all the gas vacume out the tank, clear all the screens with air, do it all again just too make sure.

First try out Same thing, Here is a video what its doing

th_Aug7thvacation008.jpg

th_Aug7thvacation010.jpg

The Engine will run at WOT if I take my time getting there and I mean really taking my time run at full for a bit then slowly and I mean slowly click the trim until I am up too full speed...

Please help!! Really makes me want my 25Hp back

Have you got a portable or integrated fuel tank? Just a hunch but if you unbolt the pickup tube in the tank, you might find some crud in there...an obstruction of some sort that lets enough fuel through until you ask for sustained WOT. That'll be when it bogs down or chokes. Give that a shot if you haven't already.

I agree with Roy to check on that, whether it be an integrated fuel tank or an external tank. Kinda sounds like it is not getting enough air in the mix, causing a flooding issue, but it could be fuel starvation also.

Yeap Roy, thought of that too. Took the entire assembly appart and used an Air hose to clean everything. Same issue.

The Boat is going back into the shop on Wed, I will tell them if they think its the Tank to replace it all and If its not see if I can return it.

Bpro is not sure what the issue is either,

The fact your engine runs fine when you bring it up to WOT gradually suggests there could be a hiccup in the fuel management system. Your engine has electronic fuel injection, which is regulated by a tiny micro-computer called the ECM 555 control module. If that little computer is wonky, the result can be very similar to a physical blockage in the fuel line. You hit the gas and the ignition timing goes out of whack, so the engine chokes. It’s not common, but it’s not unheard-of, either.

As a matter of interest, your Mercury 40 four-stroke is built in China at Merc’s Suzhou plant, which is one of the newest outboard motor factories in the world. Merc has built all of its 40 hp to 60 hp four-strokes there since the plant opened in the fall of 2007 (although Mercury has manufactured engines at other plants in China since the mid-‘90s). For what it’s worth, Mercury has begun eliminating the model year designation on its engines, so your “2008” engine is the current model. It should have a three-year warranty from the date of purchase.

www.themarinedoctor.com

he is really good and will probably put you on the right path.

Hope you get it resolved soon, nobody needs that kind of frustration

SHHH don't tell everyone about him he won't have time to answer my questions lol. KUDOS to TMD

You need t show that vid to the knuckleheads that claim they fixed your boat Lexy!!! :angry:

I wouldn't pay them another damn penny... and DEMAND they fix my fricken motor!!!

If they don't comply, consider the following!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4fN_shVm4s

Edited by GCD

I am kinda leaning on 2 probs here

1) either you have water in your gas tank( in which you will need a water separator filter) if an inboard tank?

2) depressurizing gas tank ( which someone asked if the bulb was full) in this event the motor will shut off at times if an inboard tank?

if not either of these,then I think Craig Ritchie is onto something in which it would be a warranty issue