Food for thought

pidge

Hey all was just thinkin of ideas of what to bring out on the ice to eat. What do you guys like to cook with and eat. I was out icefishing for the first time last weekend and rented a heated hut. I ended up bringing my coleman camp stove to heat up some chef-boy r d (sp?) buttered bread and some cookies. What do you guys bring thats small and conveinent to carry or drag behind a toboggon? I think next I'll bring along some canned chilli. :D

Hi Pidge,

I'm with FishFinder on the Thermos idea. I usually bring my Stainless steel with some hot Tomato soup, a sandwich and some snacks - granolas, apples a sleave of cookies, to keep busy when the bite is slow. I've brought a frying pan to Simcoe before and had a fish fry right in the hut...BUT we didn't togaggan everything in either. I have a pot of Goose Chili on the stove right now to stuff into the thermos for this weekend. :D

Edited by Frankypro

As a chile, Habitant pea soup, coupla holes punched in the lid, then stuffed in the shore fire until it boiled, bread and salami and cheese, good to go. When the can o soup boiled, he'd hack a hole the lid to pour. My Pa sorta looked after me.

As a pure and refined grown-up, I take a thermos of coffee, some gweeches, water, and chocolate bars. If Brian is frying up some moose sausages, then that is ok too.

Spaghetti is a tough one, since you need to boil so much water for 4 hungry fisher types. I like the idea of baked beans and bread, esp with a nice crisp bottle of water.

misfish has a real snazzy float suit btw.

Edited by douG

bacon & eggs & pork&beans with potatoes or we sometimes will cook a walleye or 2 ,right on the ice....its sooooo.. :P ..yuuuummmmmyyyyyyy :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: i also have a small portable BBQ,that i have brought out on the ice and had burgers and hot dogs...its fun and it is true that food like that always tastes better outside on a BBQ.... :thumbsup_anim: .

Aww man you all forgot the best fishin eats around.....vienna sausages and sardines in hot sauce on ritz crackers. Dont forget your favorite hot beverage to drink though after all it is really stinkin cold between bites out their.

Art

If I'm in my big hut the sky is the limit.I have a wood stove in it so cooking is not a problem.Last weekend it was a big pot o chille,the weekend before it was venison sausages.Nothing beats a mid-morning pike that happened to be in the wrong place at the worng time!If I'm in the portable I like to keep it simple a sandwich or two or soup or a pepperete etc.