Second opinion on Merc 40 issue

LeXXington

Hey All:

Well my new 2008 engine is giving me grief, well it could be the engine.

Its a 40-hp 4st merc. When I say its brand new its a 2008 model put on this year. Now made in china :( but I don't think its the cause

Basically when I go too WOT I stall out, not enough too stop the engine but it sputters then when I go back too mid range it works fine. I can go all the way upto WOT for a few seconds then putters. Its not bad fuel as I thought it might be too and replaced it with all fresh fuel.

I think it has something too do with the fuel running out. Where in the chain that occurs is my issue.

AND THE UPDATE ****

I changed and cleared everthing I could think off.. Again Fresh fuel, Cleared all the lines with an Air Hose, Cleared the intake screen.. Everthing I could think of.

Still no fix.. Of to Bass Pro where I purchased et.. $200.00 later I am told it was gas filters apparently there are 2 and they needed changing. After only running for say 60 hours ok., I give maybe bad fuel something got in there.. So I pay the cash and walk out happy the boat is fixed.

Prior to going out again, I empty all the gas vacume out the tank, clear all the screens with air, do it all again.

First try out Same thing, Here is a video what its doing

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn187/L...vacation008.flv

The Engine will run at WOT if I take my time getting there and I mean really taking my time run at full for a bit then slowly and I mean slowly click the trim until I am up too full speed...

Please help!!

Edited by LeXXington

You may have a bad fuel line/bulb Lexy.

The fuel filter will operate at about half when the engine is running... but they're cheap and replacing it won't hurt a thing.

Has anyone worked on the carbs on this motor that you know of?

There's a procedure that is called vacuum synchronizing that has to be done to these 4 strokes after the carbs have been worked on. If they've (the carbs) been worked on without this procedure it will cause problems... been the done that!

Sounds very similar to a problem I had a few years back with my 40 HP 2-Stroke.

She would run fine with very little throttle.

Open her up and she would run a few seconds or so, then die off.

Checked the bulb ... FLAT.

I could pump it up and take off ... same thing.

I took it to a local Marina and they said it was a blocked one-way valve where the hose came out of the gas tank.

All this guy did was cut the line and reconnect it without the valve. He said that this one-way value was really only required for an I/O type engine. Since mine was a pure outboard, he said I would have no problems. I was good to go after that. (Don't know if this was a wise fix or not - not being a mechanic, I assumed he know what he was doing).

As the others stated, check the fuel filter. I had to have mine replaced last year because of a similar problem. The problem occurred on my current engine being Merc 90 HP 2 Stroke.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Well, changed the "bulb" last night and everything looks the same. Going to try thrusday or Sat too take it out and open it up too WOT.

The reason its not going back too the dealer yet is the Engine does have a 3 year warranty but that does not include the gas hose, "bulb" or tank.

I need to exclude these before taking it in. :(

I really don't want too change the tank unless I need too.. Hate too buy a new tank only too find out the issue is the engine.

A "bulb" for $10 is a quick change before I go too the next stage I will ask too borrow someone else outboard tank too test

One step at a time :) its a pain in the $ss but I can't think of a easier way of going through this.

LeXXington,

I had a similar problem once where there is an inlet screen on the bottom of the tube that is in the tank. The screen was a cylinder type of set up with mesh all around and a closed off bottom. It somehow got pushed on too far. The open end of the hose was up against the blanked off bottom of the screen fitting and it allowed enough fuel at part throttle, but whenever I opened it up, it choked off and sputtered.

Easy to pull of the fitting on the tank and take a look. My tank was a plastic one as well.

LeXXington,

I had a similar problem once where there is an inlet screen on the bottom of the tube that is in the tank. The screen was a cylinder type of set up with mesh all around and a closed off bottom. It somehow got pushed on too far. The open end of the hose was up against the blanked off bottom of the screen fitting and it allowed enough fuel at part throttle, but whenever I opened it up, it choked off and sputtered.

Easy to pull of the fitting on the tank and take a look. My tank was a plastic one as well.

Thank that looks almost possitive what the issue is, when I took it out the hose was a little lower than it should have been and filter look good but did not let gas escape.

I used the air hose to clear up the entire assembly too see if that does it. When I put it all back it felt a lot better when I squeesed the bulb.

Now just too get fishing and go too WOT

do you have an air vavle on the top of the tankcap check that make sure you have it open when driving especially at high speeds...took me a couple times on the water to figure that out myself....motor can't suck gas from engine if its closed...at slower speeds not so much a problem because lets face it the tanks not airtight and still allows for air to get sucked in slowly....at high speeds more compression hence more air...give it a shot

If you check my history of posts I had the same issue back in April this year. I took it back to the Marina that rebuilt it last year and they fixed the problem.

It was bad compression in one cylinder. They had to bore that cylinder out and replace the piston, seals, etc...They did this all for free, since I just had it rebuilt the year before. But as I said, it had the same symptoms as you.

I'd love to hear what the actual problem was. Mine was doing the same thing so I upped my dose of seafoam to a full can in a tank of fuel and it went away. I think I just had a plugged jet in the carb or something. I dunno.......but the seafoam fixed it. I also had a bad O-ring on my fuel filter cansiter that I replaced too......that could have been the problem as well I guess.

S.