The Gods have a way.....

Headhunter

Well, here's my weekend story! I was pumped and ready to head out onto Simcoe, for my first ever attempt at Whities and Lakers. FishnSled was to be my partner for the day and we had agreed to connect on Friday, to go over final details.

After waiting 1/2 the day to hear from FnS, I decided to try and reach him... uhoh, he's not a work, they say home sick, so I called his home and sure enough, he's full blown plague infested... not lookin good for Saturday!

With the GTG for Tyler coming up in a coupla weeks, I figured, it was a good time to take my Jimmy in to get the exhaust leak checked. Outta Speedy in less than an hour, gasket replaced and oil change and I'm out less than $100.00! Doing cart-wheels at this point!

Sunday morning, I head out to the grocery store, stop off at the car wash to get some of the salt off my truck, drive a further two blocks and all of a sudden, I lose steering and the truck is pulling hard to the right. I pull over to the right, get out and find my front right tire is no longer verticle! It's one a 45 degree angle! BALL JOINT! As far as I could tell, there were no warning signs it was gonna let go. The truck is now at the shop getting fixed, getting both done while it's there.

Here's the scarey part;

-what if my wife was driving it with the two kids in it, on the highway!!!

-what if I had driven it up to Simcoe... and or onto the ice!

These are things that make my dander go straight up! I thank the powers that be for allowing that part to stay together long enough for me to be driving, rather than my wife and also, that it didn't let go on a highway situation. As much as it's a pain in the rear to have to deal with the repairs, it could have been significantly worse.

Thanks to who ever is watchin out for my family!

HH

Wow, that story brings back memories! About 4 years back my wife and I were headed north to go on a fly-in trip driving our '98 Blazer. About 10 mins. south of Chelmsford on hwy 144 the right front ball joint failed while doing 80km/hr on the outside of a major bend in the highway.

Pretty scary incident, I almost lost control of the vehicle, but managed to get it stopped and pulled over onto the shoulder. The wheel was bent inwards, almost came right off the vehicle.

Amazingly, after calling for a tow truck who came within 15 mins., the local garage in town happened to have the parts we needed and went to work immediately. We were back on the road within 11/2 hours....

If I remember correctly we even managed to recoup some of our money from GM as there was a recall on some of the parts...Perhaps you should look into that.

Personally, that was the last straw for me as far as domestic trucks go. I've since had a Toyota, and currently a Honda and couldn't be more pleased.

Solopaddler, glad you problem wasn't a major disaster for you as well! I called GM and was told the "advisory" for my vehicle ended in 2001. They suggested that they sent me a letter in 1999, but I honestly don't recall it! Regardless, GM has washed their hands of their/my problem and I don't see any recourse at this point.

What I've learned through this exercise is the following;

-if you own a GM vehicle, find out if it has ball joints that can be lubricated! The one's on my truck are sealed and cannot be lubricated.

-have your mechanic check the ball joints every time you go in for an oil change

Most importantly - you can't put a price on the lives of your loved ones!

HH

Most importantly - you can't put a price on the lives of your loved ones!

HH, my daughter was heading up the 115 late at night a few years back and caught her right front tire on the soft shoulder.

It spun her car sideways, threw her across the road where she hit the center retaining wall head-on, then she got broadsided by a truck that was coming up behind her in the left lane. All this while she was doing 60 MPH

The whole thing probably only took about 3 seconds and her car was comletely destroyed and it took the fire department 30 minutes to cut her free.

Fortunately, the injuries weren't too severe due to the excellent design of the seatbelt and air bags, but it just shows how fast something terrible can happen. I pass by the spot several times each week between May & November and still shudder every time I think about what could have happened.

HH, my daughter was heading up the 115 late at night a few years back and caught her right front tire on the soft shoulder.

It spun her car sideways, threw her across the road where she hit the center retaining wall head-on, then she got broadsided by a truck that was coming up behind her in the left lane. All this while she was doing 60 MPH

The whole thing probably only took about 3 seconds and her car was comletely destroyed and it took the fire department 30 minutes to cut her free.

Fortunately, the injuries weren't too severe due to the excellent design of the seatbelt and air bags, but it just shows how fast something terrible can happen. I pass by the spot several times each week between May & November and still shudder every time I think about what could have happened.

Wow Lew...scary scary stuff. Even though it was a few years ago, I'm glad to hear the injuries were not too serious and that she came thru it all ok. I'd shudder while passing the spot too.

I can only imagine Lew! I have had to deal with some tough stuff in my life... I don't think I am man enough to deal with a phone call like that! I'm not afraid of very many things but that would be my greatest fear! I guess its the greatest fear of any parent! Sadly, it happens to someone every day.

Hey headhunter the same thing happened to my brother. The drivers side wheels ball joint poped and his tire was totally horizontal and pined. This was just before he was about to enter the on ramp to the 401 heading west with my 4 year old neice and my mom with him. Good thing it happened a feet meters away from the on ramp also.

Thank God!

Jesus

dsn

WOW!!! Am I ever glad I was sick. There are only 2 times that I can remember being too sick to go ice fishing and having to cancel on people. This is one and the other was the day that Simcoe broke up and they brought in all the rescue helicopters. Good to know that everything is OK HH and we'll get out and get'em soon.