Dentists (Had Your Wallet Drilled Lately?)

Photoz

:angry:A subject that I've never seen discussed? It used to be the 2 biggest expenditures we made in life was buying a home, and buying a car . . . . I'd say a visit to the dentists office is fast closing in on the number 2 spot! I went for a cleaning and 6 month check-up 2 weeks ago . . . . found 1 SMALL cavity, so I made an appointment to come back today. When he did a second X-ray, and did a lotta 'hm m m m m m's' I got ready to 'assume the position!' Yup . . . it looked like I needed a root canal . . . . so I asked how much? Well, getting a straight answer was similar to trying to nail jello to the wall . . . finally he explained there were 'variables,' it could cost up to $3000.00 and Great West Insurance would LIKELY cover up to $1700.00, leaving ME holding the bag for the rest! I was somewhat annoyed & asked how a tooth could get THAT bad since January, without aching . . . but if he couldn't fill it, out she comes . . . but I want the tooth. After examining it some more, he filled it . . . . not even a big filling . . . $710.00! To me, this is LEGAL ROBBERY!

Now that I've had my rant, I'd like to know if anyone else out there has had similar experiences? And what on earth does someone, ESPECIALLY with kids do if they're not insured? The government has put a stop to price gouging by SOME doctors but NOBODY ever says boo about the dental industry. I read a story not long ago that the AVERAGE dentist pulls down $175,000.00 a year, and MANY make triple that?

Hold on, Wait a minute..............I thought HEALTH coverage was FREE in the Great Country of Canada ? ? ?

Under my wife's insurance plan everything you listed would be free of charge in the USA.......

BTW do I think this is legal highway robbery.........NO,not in the least....do you want someone that went to MANY years of school or do you want someone that thinks he knows how to drill out you cavity.......$175,000.00 is NOTHING especially considering it being Canadian Funds. The local mechanic that MAY of went to school for a couple of years is charging you more. Think about that for a minute.

Bottom line I hope your dental problems are solved any you are feeling better ASAP.

Bob

Most dental work is not covered under provincial health insurance, no longer are eye exams if you are over 18 and under 65, that is unless the exam shows you have cataracts or you are diabetic. Dental work is out of pocket, unless you have a plan from work or can afford your own plan if you are self employed.

My plan at work would probalby not cover the bill you faced Photoz, mine maxes out at $2000 per year, I already have used up $1400 so far this year.

When I was self employed or I was struggling along on commission sales I had to pay everything out of my own pocket for my wife, son and myself. Luckily my wife and son are both blessed with great teeth and it was usually a trip to the dentist for a cleaning and a check up. Me on the other hand just has to look at a piece of celery and a tooth breaks and I have had more root canals than I can remember. Most dentists will give a break to those who have no coverage by not charging the current fee scale and this was a big help to me when I needed it.

Just remember that a dentist practice will cost a fortune to set up and this is after all that money has been spent on education and all the time and years that went into it. And think of how many of us could do that type of work, bent over with your face stuck in peoples mouths all day, bad breath, rotten teeth, people with colds and diseases, high suicide rates, carpel tunnel, bad backs, alcoholism, I could go on and on. Be thankful that there is someone who is willing to shove their hand in your mouth to fix your teeth. Maybe your dentist did only just have to fill your tooth, could be he tried to charge you more than necessary or do more work than needed, then he might have been trying to do the right thing. But I bet you will be back to him in short time because you're going to be climbing the walls in pain and you are going to be at his chair side begging for help.

Ya, had an encounter like that a year ago, you need a root canal, unfortunately, no longer in the service with heater in holster to even the level of intimidation, I asked what the option was, $800+ for root canal..$80 for the extraction and it better not hurt. About ten mintes later minus one tooth that I don't miss or have to brush anymore. More room to squirrel away some peanuts.

Ha ha, good stories. The bill for my youngest a few years ago was $12,000.00. The dentist is a neighbour who comes over regularly for a beer. I like the dude...makes Madoff look like a choir boy. Learned a lot from him. :D

Maybe you should try some DIY dentistry at home!!!... maybe even take a hammer and knock out all your teeth and carve yourself a set of wooden dentures like George Washington had!

I tried DIY dentistry, but after I sedated myself to the proper level. I passed out and couldn't do the work!!!

I've only got aboot $18K in my mouth (half paid by insurance).. maybe not the best money I ever spent, but at least I can eat!!!

:angry:A subject that I've never seen discussed? It used to be the 2 biggest expenditures we made in life was buying a home, and buying a car . . . . I'd say a visit to the dentists office is fast closing in on the number 2 spot! I went for a cleaning and 6 month check-up 2 weeks ago . . . . found 1 SMALL cavity, so I made an appointment to come back today. When he did a second X-ray, and did a lotta 'hm m m m m m's' I got ready to 'assume the position!' Yup . . . it looked like I needed a root canal . . . . so I asked how much? Well, getting a straight answer was similar to trying to nail jello to the wall . . . finally he explained there were 'variables,' it could cost up to $3000.00 and Great West Insurance would LIKELY cover up to $1700.00, leaving ME holding the bag for the rest! I was somewhat annoyed & asked how a tooth could get THAT bad since January, without aching . . . but if he couldn't fill it, out she comes . . . but I want the tooth. After examining it some more, he filled it . . . . not even a big filling . . . $710.00! To me, this is LEGAL ROBBERY!

Now that I've had my rant, I'd like to know if anyone else out there has had similar experiences? And what on earth does someone, ESPECIALLY with kids do if they're not insured? The government has put a stop to price gouging by SOME doctors but NOBODY ever says boo about the dental industry. I read a story not long ago that the AVERAGE dentist pulls down $175,000.00 a year, and MANY make triple that?

Well, just due to the fact that I know little bit about this and my opiinion can be biased, I would like to suggest that you should look for a second opinion. from small cavity to multiple (3000.00 $ ) root canal in two weeks ????.

Probability of this is almost the same like changing water in wine.

If you wish send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

P.S.In regards to $ 175000.00 a year, you have no idea what you are talking about :)

Well, just due to the fact that I know little bit about this and my opiinion can be biased, I would like to suggest that you should look for a second opinion. from small cavity to multiple (3000.00 $ ) root canal in two weeks ????.

Probability of this is almost the same like changing water in wine.

If you wish send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

P.S.In regards to $ 175000.00 a year, you have no idea what you are talking about :)

Oh yeah!!!... just what I always wanted!!!.. a vodka drinking dentist!!!... you got enough of that "joy juice" for a patient???

Oh yeah!!!... just what I always wanted!!!.. a vodka drinking dentist!!!... you got enough of that "joy juice" for a patient???

My wife do not drink, but if you want "joy juice" I will arrange it myself :P

Yup same thing in the Military. They love Pulling Wisdom Teeth and Giving Root Canals. I Sort of told them the Heck with the Root Canal. PULL IT. Its Quicker, and no doubt cheaper. But then again you may want to go through the aggravation as you may be better looking than me.

My biggest (and possibly only regret) about changing jobs was that my new place doesn't have dental coverage. Not too bad for me (few hundred bucks a year) but my wife's teeth are like swiss cheese! We have spent close to 5000.00 on her teeth in the last 2 years so I will agree to not be a big fan of dentists! Last bill was around 1000.00 and she was barely there an hour!!!

There's a reason why the first thing a dentist asks is ,,,. Are you covered by an insurance company.....?????

Then the price doubles..... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

It looks that your dentist :whistling::whistling::whistling: is smarter then CDA ( Canadian Dental Assoc.), or ODA ( Ontario Dental Assoc). or even RCDS( Royal College of Dental Surgeons ). Particularly he is "smarter" then ODA which is setting fee guide every year for everu dentist for every procedure. BTW, Insurance Companies have their own Fee Guide ( with prices lower then ODA ), and they won't pay $0.01 more then they have to.

Same suggestion, educate yourself ( by reading and understanding!!!!!) your dental insurance coverage

My biggest (and possibly only regret) about changing jobs was that my new place doesn't have dental coverage. Not too bad for me (few hundred bucks a year) but my wife's teeth are like swiss cheese! We have spent close to 5000.00 on her teeth in the last 2 years so I will agree to not be a big fan of dentists! Last bill was around 1000.00 and she was barely there an hour!!!

Based on your info. I understand that your previous job had dental coverage, right? If yes, the question is: Why with dental insurace coverage your wife's teeth are like " swiss cheese"?????

i just made my first dentist appointment in WAY too long. got a tooth thats been bugging me pretty badly and its gotta be extracted (whats left of it) im not looking forward to it in the least. both for pain AND money reasons. im sure i have at least 10k in dental work that needs to be done with no company benefits to cover it. i mentioned a genetic condition i have to the dentist and almost saw the $$ signs light up in his eyes. hopefully it goes well though

PULL IT. Its Quicker, and no doubt cheaper. But then again you may want to go through the aggravation as you may be better looking than me.

He means what he says, people, I HAVE seen his smile..... :lol::lol::whistling::whistling: More gaps than a lockstone driveway. :whistling:

Dentists are like the Mafia. Perhaps some of them even worst than the Mafia, since Mafia at least have a sense of honor... ;)

My parents, both were dentists -in another country, much different- and I can tell you that most of the stuff that it costs you thousands of $$$ today, could be done with perhaps hundreds, tops. Not talking about implants or dental surgery - just the basic treatments: cavity treatment and fillings, root canal fillings, cleaning, scaling, simple bridges. Let's say the consumables would cost today tenfold, it's still a lot of room left...

But what makes the prices spiral, are mainly 2 things:

- the exaggerated cost for education & licensing: an arm and a leg + interest. Who's paying for ? You, the patient, because you're at the bottom of the food chain...

- the involvement of the private insurance in the act: all the dentists that work with insured patients tend to charge the max allowable amount for a certain procedure. Year after year, like it or not, the insurance companies have to review their "blue book values" and they always go up. Who's paying, again? You, the patient, since on one hand the insurance companies allow those values to spiral up, and on the other hand they limit the amount you can be covered for, per year - discussing the typical group insurance, which most of us receive in our benefits package.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Danubian

From all I have read here, it's MUCH cheaper to pay our Health Insurance with Dental and Eye coverage than to have your Canadian "FREE" health coverage and then have to pay for Dental Cover. MUCH CHEAPER.....

I guess it all averages out at the end of the day........

Bob

From all I have read here, it's MUCH cheaper to pay our Health Insurance with Dental and Eye coverage than to have your Canadian "FREE" health coverage and then have to pay for Dental Cover. MUCH CHEAPER.....

Bob

Well just for perspective, keep in mind that the vast majority of people will never need the kind of dental intervention that has been mentioned here. I would still rather have "FREE" health care for the basics. My wife & I have just had 2 kids in the last few years. What does that cost in the states? $30,000+ per? My mom's last husband died of Luekemia after a 2 month battle. At one point the doctors told us that 1 procedure out of the dozens that they did was a $400,000 procedure. We were saying at the time that if we lived in the states we would be selling our house to get it done, if that would even cover it. He lived in the hospital for 2+ months at our bill: $0

So some perspective is a good thing.

Bob

Who said we have free healthcare??? 50% of my income goes to taxes,the only ones who get free healthcare are welfare bums,single women who have kids every nine months and other social misfits.