$40 spinning rod?

aws

If you're worried about durability the ugly stick lite at canadian tire is around that price. I used one when i started getting into fishing and they're good for the $. Don't think you could break the thing without trying.

If you want durable Ugly stik is the way to go , find them real whippy though .

tb

whippy because theres a lot of fiberglass in them. the glass is also what makes them tough like big trolling rods, and so heavy. They're not the most sensitive sticks due to the weight and materials but they're perfect for the casual fisherman or anybody who doens't want to spend a lot on a rod that'll last a while.

whippy because theres a lot of fiberglass in them. the glass is also what makes them tough like big trolling rods, and so heavy. They're not the most sensitive sticks due to the weight and materials but they're perfect for the casual fisherman or anybody who doens't want to spend a lot on a rod that'll last a while.

They also have like a 3 or 5 year warranty on them also! I was lookin at one last week.

I have a half a dozen various length/style Ugly sticks ... love them all ... I even have a little 3' ice fishing ugly stick :)... and have broken /replaced many more (much more) expensive rods ... but the old faithful is definitely the ugly stick ... and at around $40 for a 7' rod its great value

They used to be about double that price range ...

I find Ugly Sticks have the sensitivity of a wet noodle. I avoid them like the plague. I'm not that familiar with the market in Canada, but $50 seems like the price point for a decent IM6 or IM7 rod around here, with $40 very dooable during a sale. The Bass Pro Shops Tourney Specials start there, and are a major step up from their graphite series.

I'd say go for the lower end berkley or rapala rods. (Berkley Lightning Rods / Rapala Magnum / Berkley Tactix)

Those have much better sensitivity and are lighter. You won't be sad if one of these break, and they don't break too easily.

I am going to have to give the old 2 thumbs down to the ugly stick. But if you want an unsensitive heavy basic rod that probably won't break, go for it. If you want something that is more sensitive and lighter, and made with better components, DO NOT BUY

I got two $20 rods that are head and shoulders better thatn an ugly stick in almost any situation. They are IM6 graphite 7' m action with fast tip with 9 good quality fuji guides and split rear handle cork grip. You just have to find the sales. I know there wre a few recent 7' combo sales (rod and reel) half price. Total cost $40 and one was an IM7 graphite rod with titanium guides.

If all else fails buy a 6'6" or 7' lightning rod. I have one. It is not bad, I rarely use it but it works.

I got two $20 rods that are head and shoulders better thatn an ugly stick in almost any situation. They are IM6 graphite 7' m action with fast tip with 9 good quality fuji guides and split rear handle cork grip. You just have to find the sales. I know there wre a few recent 7' combo sales (rod and reel) half price. Total cost $40 and one was an IM7 graphite rod with titanium guides.

Probably fuji alconite or hardloy with stainless frames. There's absolutely no chance fuji titanium's would be used on a $40 (full price) rod. Just one fuji titanium spinning guide size 30 (typical first large guide) alone is $40. Still, any rod that uses fuji alconite or hardloy's is a good deal for $20.

I am going to have to give the old 2 thumbs down to the ugly stick. But if you want an unsensitive heavy basic rod that probably won't break, go for it. If you want something that is more sensitive and lighter, and made with better components, DO NOT BUY

Agreed!!!

Find a store that sells Pflueger Trion Rods and you can get a good High Modulus Graphite rod for under 40 bucks. I just bought a lite action 6.5ft for perch fishing for 30 bucks and it is GREAT. I also caught 31 sheephead in a row last Tuesday night on it a few of which were well over 10 lbs. It handled it all with ease.

Probably fuji alconite or hardloy with stainless frames. There's absolutely no chance fuji titanium's would be used on a $40 (full price) rod. Just one fuji titanium spinning guide size 30 (typical first large guide) alone is $40. Still, any rod that uses fuji alconite or hardloy's is a good deal for $20.

Maybe my post is not clear. My rod with 9 eyes on it has fuji alconite. My friend recently got a rod with titanium eyes for $40 and that rod came with a reel. Those titanium eyes WERE NOT Fuji. My lightning rod has titanium coated alloy guides.

Edited by Cudz

First off the thing to do would be to talk to someone at BPS, they're usually pretty good about waranties on their product lines.

After that, well I could build you a rod for $40.00, indestuctable

but like the "Ugly Stick" you would enjoy using it. ;)

If your a rod breaker, like me :lol: , save the extra money and buy a rod that has lifetime warranty. Its the best money you will spend. I have got my moneys worth thats for sure, as I broke a shimano compre and a st croix avid. My recommendation: compre! Sooner or later you will catch the disease and desire expensive gear.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

After that, well I could build you a rod for $40.00, indestuctable

but like the "Ugly Stick" you would enjoy using it. wink.gif

Tough to beat Spiel's offer. Other than that I can vouch for the Ugly Stick "Lite" I have this in a 6'6" and not a problem with it, notice the quotes on lite. I haven't tried a regular Ugly, only the lite, good Walleye and perch rod. It is a couple bucks more than the regular one.

Does anyone else remember the early Ugly Sticks? Back in the 70's when they sold for around 90 - a hundred bucks! Big money in 1970's dollars.

Drop Spiel a PM.

Canadian tire just had a great little Abu Garcia Combo for $29.99 last week...leaves you $$ to spool it with quality line, too! Tons of options for $40 out there...just go to LeBaron, or CTC, or BPS, grab a few rods and shake 'em around 'till you find one you like. And just bring your $40...no plastic....easy way to stay in budget ;)

The Ugly Stick is okay and they do last, I have one also from the 70's then it was a good buy, I would look at Cabela's own brand rods, in my oppion the best bang for your buck and great warranty you can not beat them, and I do not think that Bass Pro can not come close.

FLEX