$40 spinning rod?

aws

My offer was totally tongue in cheek. For $40.00 I'd be building it on a old broom handle.

Well, I want one! Not an old broom handle but an honest to god custom made rod for 40 bucks! :lol: Probably cost 40 bills for the grip alone eh Spiel ;) I've priced out components before and I understand the cost of parts.

Edited by pikehunter

Shimano has good rods for a low price. I got 2 Shimano Stimula 7' fast action, medium power rods at Walmart for $20 each. They're pretty versatile, I've even used them for float fishing. So yes, you can get yourself a good rod for under $40. Of course it is not something spectacular, but it does its job well without costing you a fortune and that's all I care about.

Why do people here hate Canadian Tire? lol I see many jokes about the name like Cambodian Tire, and others. Canadian Tire has good deals sometimes on different items, so I do go there from time to time after checking the flyer. The store does not look great inside, but hey, who cares, it is not supposed to look like a shopping mall boutique.

Does anyone else remember the early Ugly Sticks? Back in the 70's when they sold for around 90 - a hundred bucks! Big money in 1970's dollars.

I remember those too, along with the famous ads of the rods bent to touch tip to butt. the magic of fiberglass and very little graphite. I don't know if the rods still bend like that. I haven't touched one in 20 years. It would burn my skin. haha. I also remember their lifetime unconditional warranty but somebody mentioned a few years of warranty on them, that's probably one reason they can sell at a lower price now.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i wouldn't recommend an ugly stick if you have ANY preference towards "feel" or "sensitivity" because they are neither.

if you purely want a rod that won't break then they are the best.

for that price i've always purchased berkley rods. they perform well for a rod in that price range.

well my rod locker is full of 100$ and up rods but no more! for spinning rods the shimano stimula and the berkely cherrywood are great rods for the money. both mimic much more expensive rods like the compre and cumaras that are some of shimano;s best. both rods are on a clearout at lebaron for around 20$. im still stuck on the expemsive rods for baitcasting but i see no need for blowing money on spinning rods. im not a big fan of the ugly sticks, they have no feel or sensitivity. the stimula and cherrywood both have sensitive tips but some backbone...

just my 2 cents.

Ugly Stik Lite! I can afford the premium rods, but have pretty much switched over to all Ugly Stik Lite. Durable and sensitive!

Yeah. I got one of 'em a while back and have been trying to figger out what's so awful about it, other than being kinda heavy. Mebbe I'm just not a sensitive kinda guy but I can feel as much with it as I can with any of my supposed-to-be-better rods. I've set it up for my wife to get started in fishing (hadda use it fer sumthin).

JF

I bought bass pros Mega Tournament series spinning rod and reel. Did fine last year and she's still doing good this year. I got the 7'MH rod and it's been out through its paces, drag runs great and the rod handles fine all for the cheep price of $39.99.

MTBF

Shimano has good rods for a low price. I got 2 Shimano Stimula 7' fast action, medium power rods at Walmart for $20 each. They're pretty versatile, I've even used them for float fishing. So yes, you can get yourself a good rod for under $40. Of course it is not something spectacular, but it does its job well without costing you a fortune and that's all I care about.

I too have 2 of these and for what I do, they are great. Rod alone, $20, as a combo $50. I also have 2 Ugly Sticks and they are now sitting in the basement since I got the Shimano Stimula rod's. Just my 2 cents...