Why use a baitcaster?

Jonny

Line twist is obvious, or don't you hear and see the line hitting the eyes when the lure is cast?

To say that spinning reel don't suffer from line twist is defying physics... Science doesn't lie.

Pulling power is definitely advantage baitcaster, when was the last time you loaded up your spinning reel with 50lb braid and pulled largies out of the lilly pads? lol Even 20lb mono is easier handled on a baitcaster then it is a spinning reel. Your casting performance suffers more on a spinning reel, then it does a bait caster simply because of how the reel is designed and how the line leaves the reel (again, science, physics all that good stuff)

LOL...

This thread is hilarious!

You simply cannot pit one over the other as they have different jobs to fill.

This is like the Tiller vrs Console Debate :rolleyes:

Its all dependant on the "type" of fishing your doing....

In an ideal world your not going to use lighter line, and a medium action rod set with spinning gear if your flipping in the slop for Largies...

You could...but of course thats not the ideal set up right?

On the flip side, your not going to use heavy line with a heavy action rod and bait caster to fish Browns & Bows in the Spring run right?

Each set up has advantages that work better then the other in certain situations.

You could easily work one all the time, but by haveing a choice you mearly increase your odds of landing fish, and in some cases

Make your day a little easier and less frustrating.

But to each there own...

The funny thing about fishing is contrary to popular beleif, its actually not about catching fish....

Its about having a good time, and enjoying yourself "while trying" to catch fish.

If a certain combo makes it more enjoyable to you then have at it.

IMO they all have their time and place just like a tiller, or console.

Its cool to have a preference,

But a preferance doesn't make it better for all...

Edited by Cookslav

To say that spinning reel don't suffer from line twist is defying physics... Science doesn't lie.

No, experience doesn't lie, like I just explained above. Some line twist happens on spinning reels, granted (I already did), but line twist is a non-issue in spinning reels used for casting because whatever twist is there is unnoticeable. Spinning reels aren't popular for casting for nothing.

Pulling power is definitely advantage baitcaster, when was the last time you loaded up your spinning reel with 50lb braid and pulled largies out of the lilly pads?

You fish them with 50 lb braid!? Now that's specialized fishing! Akin to me using 50 lb steel line on my #47 Penn Mariner to horse those lake trout up from the depths.

Your casting performance suffers more on a spinning reel, then it does a bait caster simply because of how the reel is designed and how the line leaves the reel

As I've already pointed out, it doesn't suffer. If it did happen, spinning reels would rightly be shunned. In actual practice, a spinning reel works fine, cast after cast.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

Load your spinning reel up with 20lb mono and I'll do the same with my bait caster, I guarantee you I'll out cast you every single time without much effort. Are you honestly going to argue that?

You should start using facts and not your 'personal experiences' to try and prove points, they'll hold a lot more water.

The next thing you'll tell me is that centerpins don't suffer from line twist either.

It seems to me that the ones putting down baitcasters are the ones that probably can't use one :rolleyes:

To each his own....Geez.

My 10 year old has been throwing a bait caster for three years. Get out and practice !!! If you don't want to use one then don't but don't put down something just cause you don't know how to use it properly or have never tried.

I can cast farther than you! hahahaha I can cast as far with my baitcasters as with my spinning reels but that's certainly not the goal. The farther away the bait is from me, the less control I have over it. They both have their application but I now have 3 baitcasters to every one spinning reel. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of line over runs I get in a season. I get more line loops around the rod tip with spinning reels than birdsnest....by a long shot.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Load your spinning reel up with 20lb mono and I'll do the same with my bait caster, I guarantee you I'll out cast you every single time without much effort. Are you honestly going to argue that?

Probably not, as I haven't made the comparison myself in any meaningful way where I would stake what I say on it, because my spinning reels are loaded with 14 lb at the maximum. The 20 lb I mentioned I clearly qualified with a disadvantage, and I don't use it. To quote myself:

I can (and have) put 20 lb in a spinning reel, and I can pull the boat with it when I get snagged! But I lose distance.

You should start using facts and not your 'personal experiences' to try and prove points, they'll hold a lot more water.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is all about personal experience, from both sides. Unless of course if you think that someone with a preference for baitcasters states only facts and someone with a preference for spinning reels states only conjecture.

You don't believe when I tell you that I've casted for hundreds of hours with a spinning reel and not noticed line twist degrading performance? Fine. You can believe I was lying just so I could make a point.

The next thing you'll tell me is that centerpins don't suffer from line twist either.

You're not reading, you're projecting. I've already made two things clear - 1) Spinning reels have a line twist problem when used for trolling with certain baits 2) A certain amount of line twist, though it might be present from casting, is not detrimental to performance.

It seems to me that the ones putting down baitcasters are the ones that probably can't use one

Using a baitcaster isn't rocket science. If you're a fisherman you don't have much problem using a baitcaster.

I don't believe I've ever stated that a spinning reel is better than a baitcaster, but a thread like this certainly flushes out those who think a baitcaster is sine qua non and is somehow elite equipment. Like this very comment, implying that someone with a preference for a spinning reel (for most fishing) is somehow incompetent.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

Amongst all the other reasons.....

After great thought on this subject I now know why it is I use a baitcaster.....I like the noise it makes when I cast out a big bucktail or plug and I like the mist shower it gives me on a hot summers day...seriously :)

Its all dependant on the "type" of fishing your doing....

In an ideal world your not going to use lighter line, and a medium action rod set with spinning gear if your flipping in the slop for Largies...

You could...but of course thats not the ideal set up right?

On the flip side, your not going to use heavy line with a heavy action rod and bait caster to fish Browns & Bows in the Spring run right?

Lol, I use a baitcaster & heavy rod with 20lb PP for steel in the spring. Actually it's my favourite way to fish for them, though I don't do it often anymore.

And I use a heavy spinning outfit to fish for bass in the summer.

Heh, I have problems with convention I guess :D

Put a 1oz. weight onto your heavy spinning outfit.

Put a 1oz. weight onto your heavy casting outfit.

Open bail/freespool at the same time.

Which one hit the ground first? Gee, the one with the less resistance. Psssst I'll give you a hint, it's spool doesn't revolve.

This more than anything pretty much highlights alot of peoples misconceptions, spinning outfits don't stop at 6'6" ubiquitous "medium light" with 2000 sized reels. More than anything I've used 14-20lb. mono, and now braid, on my spinning outfits for twenty years. Before I had a drivers license I was chucking 1-2oz. rigs with spinning outfits, and always out distanced baitcasters. I've had this argument dozens of times on the pierheads, against four or five different generations of baitcasters. And still your $500 baitcaster with a computer chip and self engergizing diodes can't outcast a lowly Mitchell 300 with 20lb mono. Can't be done, just can't, so stop arguing casting distance, it's bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Now can people come up with scenarios (excuses?) where baitcasters are better? Sure, but I can't think of a single time I thought slinging 100lb. mono with a 16oz. lure/anchor/depth charge was actually a good way to go about catching fish. Must be a good workout though.

It's like justifying a Hummer. Baitcasters are fishing bling.

Amongst all the other reasons.....

After great thought on this subject I now know why it is I use a baitcaster.....I like the noise it makes when I cast out a big bucktail or plug and I like the mist shower it gives me on a hot summers day...seriously smile.gif

Aaaargh, I still can't quite figure what the most annoying sound in all of fishingdom is. It's a close call between carpers and their beep-beep pods and that damn electronic Shimano. Wheeeeeeeezzz, sounds like a nerdy mouse with tuberculosis.

Lol, I use a baitcaster & heavy rod with 20lb PP for steel in the spring. Actually it's my favourite way to fish for them, though I don't do it often anymore.

And I use a heavy spinning outfit to fish for bass in the summer.

Heh, I have problems with convention I guess :D

Put a 1oz. weight onto your heavy spinning outfit.

Put a 1oz. weight onto your heavy casting outfit.

Open bail/freespool at the same time.

Which one hit the ground first? Gee, the one with the less resistance. Psssst I'll give you a hint, it's spool doesn't revolve.

This more than anything pretty much highlights alot of peoples misconceptions, spinning outfits don't stop at 6'6" ubiquitous "medium light" with 2000 sized reels. More than anything I've used 14-20lb. mono, and now braid, on my spinning outfits for twenty years. Before I had a drivers license I was chucking 1-2oz. rigs with spinning outfits, and always out distanced baitcasters. I've had this argument dozens of times on the pierheads, against four or five different generations of baitcasters. And still your $500 baitcaster with a computer chip and self engergizing diodes can't outcast a lowly Mitchell 300 with 20lb mono. Can't be done, just can't, so stop arguing casting distance, it's bringing a knife to a gunfight.

You're entitled to your opinion as everyone else is. It's when you consider your opinion fact that makes you look silly.

You should also tell the guys that currently hold casting records they should be using spinning reels instead of conventionals :)

Edited by BillM

Can we please refer to them as "Level-winds"? I don't throw "bait" with my Calcutta.

:P

And since we're getting personal...the "emphazemic mouse" is better than the buzz of a spinning reel's drag. But I understand your dislike....the level-wind makes noise EVERY cast.... :whistling:

(We need an Emoticon of somone stirring a pot, or flogging a dead horse)

Sure, but I can't think of a single time I thought slinging 100lb. mono with a 16oz. lure/anchor/depth charge was actually a good way to go about catching fish. Must be a good workout though.

that's 100lb braid btw, you must catch wittle fish and yes, good workout.

speaking of bringing knives to gunfights, precisely my thinking in this silly debate. sure, you *could* use a spinning reel for certain applications or vice versa - why the hell would you want to?

What I don't understand is why any fisherman would come up with reasons to offset excuses to buy more gear. Fishing is all about the toys, and we all know that he who dies with the most toys wins - right?

Hi. My name is John, and I'm a gearpig.

JF

What I don't understand is why any fisherman would come up with reasons to offset excuses to buy more gear. Fishing is all about the toys, and we all know that he who dies with the most toys wins - right?

Hi. My name is John, and I'm a gearpig.

JF

Amen, Brother....Amen. :worthy:

I think John has a good point, lol.

I don't want this honey, I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!

:)

Whenever she says no I just offer to buy her a new washer and dryer or mebbe a vacuum cleaner. What more can a man offer a woman?

JF

Well seeings how I'm a "sucker" for "overated" fancy shmancy shiny things I allowed myself to be lured in by fancy "marketing" and today became the owner of this funny looking reel.

Caiman_GT_Reel.jpg

Given my fondness for things "overated" I still think it beats out spinning as the reel for the job. ;)